Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stansted? Luton? Or Gatwick?

Options
  • 31-10-2007 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Which airport do you find best to use for a quick 2 night stay in London? WHich is nearer to London center and which has better transport options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,904 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think Stansted has the best transport options with the Stansted Express. Bit pricy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimmychin

stansted is the furthest away (east)

luton is 40mins by train (north)
    train comes in at Kings Cross

gatwick is 30mins by train (south west)
    comes into victoria i think

i'd say gatwick if you're staying south, luton if you're staying north

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

None of the above.

London City is by far the easiest airport to travel to/from Central London, with the Docklands Light Railway serving the Airport itself, and linking with multiple tube lines at Bank and connecting with the Jublilee line at Canning Town.

Plus, buy an Oyster card at London City Airport Station and avail of the discounts available.

Final big plus is the 10-minute check-in at London City Airport!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

KC61 wrote: »
    None of the above.

London City is by far the easiest airport to travel to/from Central London, with the Docklands Light Railway serving the Airport itself, and linking with multiple tube lines at Bank and connecting with the Jublilee line at Canning Town.

Plus, buy an Oyster card at London City Airport Station and avail of the discounts available.

Final big plus is the 10-minute check-in at London City Airport!

I'm guessing from the list of airports that the OP is flying with ryanair so London City is outta the question :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I'm guessing from the list of airports that the OP is flying with ryanair so London City is outta the question :p
    Probably, but the city airport is really good.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

any options to fly to heathrow, have the tube, bus, and heathrow express

other wise would suggest gatwick, 15/20 minutes on the expresss, or about 45 minutes on the regular train

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Obvious problem with LCY is that only Cityjet/Air France fly there- From Dublin. Fares generally tend to be a tad more expensive than LHR etc.

If Cityjet flew from Shannon to LCY I would be more than happy to use the route...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Gatwick is great. As well as the Gatwick Express, you have regular stopping trains too which cost less. I always choose Gatwick these days. Never used City so can't comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,998 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

All 3 airports have train connections to London, the convienance of which depends on where you are going/staying. I recently flew from Gatwick and found the security to be a lengthy queue (3pm) so not impressed. If possible, I would try and avoid the bigger airports as you could be spending 45 minutes on the plane before you actually take off.

I would go to the City airport if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

All 3 airports have train connections to London, the convienance of which depends on where you are going/staying. I recently flew from Gatwick and found the security to be a lengthy queue (3pm) so not impressed. If possible, I would try and avoid the bigger airports as you could be spending 45 minutes on the plane before you actually take off.

I would go to the City airport if possible
    Good points. City is best. Luton is very very fast to get out of, much faster than Gatwick. It does not have a fancy train link but the standard train, a 10 minute free bus ride from the airport, is not unreasonable. You also have the option of the "eazybus." I have never used them but they are very frequent minibuses that run to central London and only cost a couple of quid.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

You can buy cheaper Stansted Express tickets from the Ryanair website, save about £5 (€7)

https://www.stanstedexpress.com/ryanair/Tickets.asp?SID={FA97589C-2D62-4583-97BA-C6719FE7ED09}

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭beer4life

Im going to a gig and this is the name and address of the venue. The Fridge. Brixton, London and South East

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

beer4life wrote: »
    Im going to a gig and this is the name and address of the venue. The Fridge. Brixton, London and South East

Tube map

Brixton is at one end of the Victoria Line, Victoria train/tube station is 4 stops north of Brixton. Victoria is where the Gatwick Express operates into and out of.

Think it'll be Gatwick so cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

beer4life wrote: »

Surely where you would fly to/from depends upon where you are staying and not where the gig is?

London City is far closer to central London than any of the other airports, and while the flight might be more expensive, the trip to central London will be far cheaper than any of the other airport, being only in Zone 3 of the Tfl zones - in other words you can get a cheap ticket to anywhere on the Underground network! With an Oyster Card it would cost GBP 2.00 outside of 0700-1900 Monday/Friday when it's GBP 2.50 or GBP 4.00 if paying cash for a single trip and double that for a return. This trip could be covered by a 1-day travelcard covering all buses, Underground or DLR for GBP 7.80.

DLR services leave London City Airport at a minimum frequency of every 10 minutes and take only 22 minutes to get to Bank Station.

Compare that to a GBP 26.80 fare on the Gatwick Express!

Flying to Gatwick all booked for 18 quid and I will probably stay in Brixton but travel to London center on Sat when I arrive and Sun before the gig

Advertisement