Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting Stuff Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ever curious what photos were included on the Voyager probe, well here's the answer

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/this-awesome-image-may-be-found-by-aliens-one-day-along-1542854215

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Scientists announce that they've found evidence which is 5-sigma consistent with gravitational waves from the very early moments of the Big Bang. If the findings are confirmed, then it's a major discovery.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-26605974

One of the colleagues of Andre Linde, one of the principal physicists behind the theory, dropped by Linde's house to tell him of the news and amongst much else, Linde made the rather wonderful comment - "What if I am tricked? What if I believe this just because it is beautiful?" - even with initial experimental confirmation of his life's work, he remains skeptical. Way to go, Andrei.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

http://loiter.co/v/watch-as-1000years-of-european-boarders-change/

1000 years of changing borders in Europe.

I can say with certainty that the Ireland bit is very accurate and shows the whole 800 years of occupation slogan as the crap it is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭swampgas

Bannasidhe wrote: »

I can say with certainty that the Ireland bit is very accurate and shows the whole 800 years of occupation slogan as the crap it is...

Great link, thanks!

My mind was somewhat blown watching Poland, it makes Irish historical boundary changes look trivial by comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Not sure that I don't prefer that to "ahh shur we nearly had them beaten in the 1400s" :pac:

• Advertisement

Not sure that I don't prefer that to "ahh shur we nearly had them beaten in the 1400s" :pac:

At least that would be nearly accurate. 'We allied with them to get one over our cousins and neighbours and feck it when all our cousins were all dead and our neighbours were conquered didn't they only come for me next' would be completely accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Nobody said it was 800 contiguous years of occupation! :mad:

Actually. Just watched that again. Howth. Was Howth occupied for 800 years? In a row? They couldn't have just 'invented' that 800 years thing? That would be disingenuous and misleading...

As a side question, does anybody have clear and unambiguous definitions of 'Irish', 'English', and 'British'? Definitions that remain valid while considered in the context of the time span of the video? Can be quite difficult to imagine who might have been who. Weren't the first 'English invaders' actually Norman? As in French? Where we're all the Celtic shirt-wearing geniuses when France played in Croke Park?

:D

endacl wrote: »

Actually. Just watched that again. Howth. Was Howth occupied for 800 years? In a row? They couldn't have just 'invented' that 800 years thing? That would be disingenuous and misleading...

As a side question, does anybody have clear and unambiguous definitions of 'Irish', 'English', and 'British'? Definitions that remain valid while considered in the context of the time span of the video? Can be quite difficult to imagine who might have been who. Weren't the first 'English invaders' actually Norman? As in French? Where we're all the Celtic shirt-wearing geniuses when France played in Croke Park?

Banna will probably say it better, but I think the idea of Irish, English and British (as well as French, German, Spanish etc) are relatively modern constructs.
    Other than just using geography, born on the island of Ireland = Irish, it all tends to break down the further back you go, and sure if everyone born on the island of Ireland were to be considered Irish, the republicans would have apoplexy.
    The Normans weren't even really French, they were only settled in France 100? 200? years by the time they invaded England. As well call them Italians just because they occupied Sicily around the same time too.

Banna will probably say it better, but I think the idea of Irish, English and British (as well as French, German, Spanish etc) are relatively modern constructs.
    Other than just using geography, born on the island of Ireland = Irish, it all tends to break down the further back you go, and sure if everyone born on the island of Ireland were to be considered Irish, the republicans would have apoplexy.

And the immigration control people! Remember Aine whatserface?

endacl wrote: »

Have heard the 800 BS referred to many a time here on Boards.
    As if we could possibly be taught stuff in school that is disingenuous and misleading...:P

'Irish' is an English construct - 'English' is pretty much a Norman construct but really came into its own during the Tudor period, 'British' is a Stuart construct. Handy terms to apply when attempting to construct a centralised nation State but in 'race' terms pretty meaningless.

The 'first English' invaders (who were actually paid mercenaries) were the descendants of Ostmen (Norse) who settled in 'Normandy' married into the local Frankish aristocracy and acculturated. Their offspring followed William to England but some settled in Wales where they married into the Briton aristocracy and began to acculturate.

In fact the vast majority of these 1169 'invaders' were descended from Gerald FitzWalter of Windsor and Nest ferch Rhys, daughter of Rhys ap Tewdwr (modern spelling is Tudor) so are properly called Cambro-Normans. The main branch calling itself FitzGerald.

Anglo-Normans didn't arrive until a few years later and were brought over to curb the Cambro-Normans who were busy inter-marrying with the Gaelic Irish aristocracy and looking like they may carve out independent kingdoms for themselves...the Anglo-Normans also began to marry into the Gaelic Irish aristocracy and some had completely acculturated within two generations - hence that whole 'more Irish than the Irish themselves'. The most 'Irish' being the á Búrc (de Burgh) of Mayo.
    That is what the map shows - cycles of localised invasion followed by inter-marriage followed by acculturation until we get to the Tudors and their introduction of Centralisation, Race theories, concentration camps and genocide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Awesome link bann,
    Jernal wrote: »
    This blog post explains the significance of the discovery rather brilliantly.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Banna will probably say it better, but I think the idea of Irish, English and British (as well as French, German, Spanish etc) are relatively modern constructs..

Of them all, only really English has any hope of being applicable over the majority of the last 1,000 years. While there were some severe regional differences, the idea of an English nation peopled by an English race has the longest currency of all the nationalities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

the vast majority of these 1169 'invaders' were descended from Gerald FitzWalter of Windsor and Nest ferch Rhys, daughter of Rhys ap Tewdwr (modern spelling is Tudor) so are properly called Cambro-Normans. The main branch calling itself FitzGerald..
    Heh.. no wonder Maggie Thatcher always had such respect for our Garret.
    She a humble grocer's daughter, and he the descendant of kings :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Am I the only one who noticed Germany during the 1940s? I thought it looked a little inaccurate.

Of them all, only really English has any hope of being applicable over the majority of the last 1,000 years. While there were some severe regional differences, the idea of an English nation peopled by an English race has the longest currency of all the nationalities.

Sort of...England/ Angelnen (land of the Angles/Anglish) consisted of Northumbria, Mercia and East Anglia to be exact. The Angles were from Angeln in the Schleswig region of what is now Germany. Angles still live there - but they are not 'English'. Are the 'English' really German?

What is clear is they rarely called themselves Anglo-Saxons - they may on occasion define themselves as ængli or Seaxe but usually used more 'localised' terms such as Mierce, Norþanhymbre or Westseaxe.

It was the Saxons of Wessex who actually created the short-lived 'Anglo-Saxon' Kingdom of 'England' only to see one third of it 'lost' to the Danelaw by 886 - what followed was pushing and shoving of borders until William arrived in 1066 and dismissed the whole lot of them as 'English' and firmly lesser than 'Norman'.

It really was the (Welsh) Tudors who enshrined the concept of 'English' as part of their centralisation polices - much as they pushed the idea of 'Irish'

Am I the only one who noticed Germany during the 1940s? I thought it looked a little inaccurate.

Too busy looking at Ireland...:o

It really was the (Welsh) Tudors who enshrined the concept of 'English' as part of their centralisation polices - much as they pushed the idea of 'Irish'

As I said "has any hope".

As I said "has any hope".

It could be argued that the Gaelic Irish win (;)) as they had a concept of 'Irish'* based on general descent from a common ancestor, shared geographical location since around 500 BC , codified legal system, common culture and common language with minor regional variations.

The fact that Ireland had a stable 'civilisation' dating from pre-Christian times which survived and thrived until the early 17th century is why Continental European Universities are so fascinated by 'us' and consider 'us' a very worthy field for study and research...pity 'we' don't feel the same...:mad:

*Irish in this case being more akin to us calling ourselves European than having any nationalist connotations.

Looks like the Vikings win. Angeln is more Danish than German, and later these immigrant Angles were superseded by fresh Danes to create the Danelaw, and later again both were subjugated by the Normans, also descended from Vikings.
    The Normans came to Ireland, landing in Waterford and taking it from....more Vikings. They were everywhere. Even the Rus of Russia were Vikings.

recedite wrote: »
    Looks like the Vikings win. Angeln is more Danish than German, and later these immigrant Angles were superseded by fresh Danes to create the Danelaw, and later again both were subjugated by the Normans, also descended from Vikings.
    The Normans came to Ireland, landing in Waterford and taking it from....more Vikings. They were everywhere. Even the Rus of Russia were Vikings.

Pedant Alert

'Viking' is technically a verb - as in they went aviking - not a noun. There were no people called themselves Vikings - there were various peoples who lived in what is now called Scandinavia who engaged in viking.

:p

• Advertisement

Best. Verb. Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

I think Poland, Norway, Sweden and Denmark have been around as nations for at least that long (and roughly the same shape as they are now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Am I watching the same link - that only has 100 years?

Also, apparently Greece was still in the Ottoman empire at 1877 judging by that video, and I don't think that's correct..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Gordon wrote: »
    Am I watching the same link - that only has 100 years?
    Different videos, although as far as I can tell it has changed slightly as the original link had the years at the bottom and now it doesn't and edit, after watching it, it is a completely different video, and is not the last 1000 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Right, just reading the youtube comments, someone asked why they had changed it to 100 years. I didn't think you could change the video once it's uploaded to YT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Pedant Alert

'Viking' is technically a verb - as in they went aviking - not a noun. There were no people called themselves Vikings - there were various peoples who lived in what is now called Scandinavia who engaged in viking.

Slightly off topic:

In the sci-fi novel "India's Story" by Kathlyn Starbuck, there are several characters with the ability to mind read. One of them particularly enjoyed reading the mind of folk who were having sex. This was known as 'Viking' within the novel, a contraction of vicarious pleasure.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,476 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Pedant Alert

1066 - The Battle For Middle Earth describes them as vikingr, which I presume is the noun form of the verb...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,678 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Pedant Alert

But who shall out-pedant those selfsame pedants? I shall, that's who.

It's true that "viking" is formed from a "vik-" root plus an "-ing" suffix. "Vik-" means either a creek, inlet, bay (in which case "viking" is someone associated with such places, i.e. someone who engages in coastal navigation) or else a camp (in which case a viking is someone associated with temporary encampments). The Vikings were associated with both, so take your pick.

But the "-ing" suffix is not verbal. In a range of Teutonic languages, it indicates "belonging to", "of the kind of". So a Viking is somebody associated with the coast, or alternatively somebody associated with temporary encampments. But the Vikings didn't go off a-viking any more than your darling goes off a-darling.

The same -ing suffix gives us king ("kin-" plus "-ing", one belonging to the race, the tribe, the nobility), shilling (something belonging to the class of things which make a ringing sound, or alternatively belonging to the class of things which are divided into equal segments), farthing (something belonging to the class of things which are divided into fourths), darling (someone belonging to the class of things which are dear to us), building (as a noun, something belonging to the class of things which are built), herring (uncertain, but possibly belong to the class of things which come in large groups), gelding (something or someone belonging to the class of things which are barren).

And this is also where we get the -ing, -ling suffixes that we use as diminutives today. e.g. princeling.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Peregrinus wrote: »
    And this is also where we get the -ing, -ling suffixes that we use as diminutives today. e.g. princeling.

So I can't use vike in scrabble, and saplings don't actually saple. Oh cruel world!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

But who shall out-pedant those selfsame
    That's the spirit!

Ob-contribution:

What's love? Hard to know, but here's a few people having a good, hard think about it:

https://medium.com/i-love-charts/cd262e366bb

smacl wrote: »
    So I can't use vike in scrabble, and saplings don't actually saple. Oh cruel world!

You can if you play with me. I'm into spontaneous evolution of language. I don't keep score though. Keeping score is uptight.

pauldla wrote: »
    1066 - The Battle For Middle Earth describes them as vikingr, which I presume is the noun form of the verb...?

Yes - it would be the equivalent of 'pirate'.

Unless one actually engaged in viking one cannot be a vikingr.

But who shall out-pedant those selfsame pedants? I shall, that's who.

It's true that "viking" is formed from a "vik-" root plus an "-ing" suffix. "Vik-" means either a creek, inlet, bay (in which case "viking" is someone associated with such places, i.e. someone who engages in coastal navigation) or else a camp (in which case a viking is someone associated with temporary encampments). The Vikings were associated with both, so take your pick.

But the "-ing" suffix is not verbal. In a range of Teutonic languages, it indicates "belonging to", "of the kind of". So a Viking is somebody associated with the coast, or alternatively somebody associated with temporary encampments. But the Vikings didn't go off a-viking any more than your darling goes off a-darling.

The same -ing suffix gives us king ("kin-" plus "-ing", one belonging to the race, the tribe, the nobility), shilling (something belonging to the class of things which make a ringing sound, or alternatively belonging to the class of things which are divided into equal segments), farthing (something belonging to the class of things which are divided into fourths), darling (someone belonging to the class of things which are dear to us), building (as a noun, something belonging to the class of things which are built), herring (uncertain, but possibly belong to the class of things which come in large groups), gelding (something or someone belonging to the class of things which are barren).

The word viking does not appear in the Norse sagas - the word used is flotnar which means sea-farer and is used when the the purpose of the voyage is raiding- nearest we get to 'viking' is vikingr which specifically means a 'pirate'.

We also have farmaðr which can mean either trader or sailor.

A bay is usually rendered as vágr but vík is sometimes used (e.g. Reykjarvík =Bay of Smoke) however vík also means the act of turning from the verb víkja while vika means a week

So a flotnar (N) could be also be a vikingr (N) while off sigling (V) but only if he was slapping people around and taking their stuff.

The point being that 'viking' refers to a specific activity not a 'race' of people. It is akin to using a variation of the word Táin (meaning cattle raid) when referring to the Gaelic 'Irish' - after all, reading the Annals that appears to be their main activity.

• Advertisement

Yup. My guess (and your knowledge seems to confirm that my guess is correct) would be that the Vikings were so called not by themselves, but by (some of) the people they enountered. Normal people like us live in settled communities and farm the land; those wierdos sail up and down the coast/live in temporary encampments and live by trading and/or pillaging, and so we call them "Vikings".

Presumably the Norse who used the word flotnar weren't speaking of a nation or a tribe; they were speaking of those members of their own community who went off on raiding voyages. But other members of the community who stayed at home to farm or hunt or whatever were not called flotnar; flotnar was a job description, not an ethnic identifier.

However the people who were, um, visited never got to see the ones who stayed at home; from their point of view, everyone they encountered from this particular community was a seafarer who arrived either to trade or to pillage. Their perception, therefore, was that this community consisted entirely of seafaring raiders/traders. Hence they used the term "viking" as an identifier for the community as well as a description of the behaviour of its members.

Once Vikings settle - e.g. in Dublin - their neighours pretty soon stop calling them Vikings and start calling them, e.g., Norsemen.

Yup. My guess (and your knowledge seems to confirm that my guess is correct) would be that the Vikings were so called not by themselves, but by (some of) the people they enountered. Normal people like us live in settled communities and farm the land; those wierdos sail up and down the coast/live in temporary encampments and live by trading and/or pillaging, and so we call them "Vikings".

Presumably the Norse who used the word flotnar weren't speaking of a nation or a tribe; they were speaking of those members of their own community who went off on raiding voyages. But other members of the community who stayed at home to farm or hunt or whatever were not called flotnar; flotnar was a job description, not an ethnic identifier.

However the people who were, um, visited never got to see the ones who stayed at home; from their point of view, everyone they encountered from this particular community was a seafarer who arrived either to trade or to pillage. Their perception, therefore, was that this community consisted entirely of seafaring raiders/traders. Hence they used the term "viking" as an identifier for the community as well as a description of the behaviour of its members.

Once Vikings settle - e.g. in Dublin - their neighours pretty soon stop calling them Vikings and start calling them, e.g., Norsemen.

Pretty much.

Although 'job descriptions' were fluid. A person (women also went on raids as full participants) could be a farmer, trader (land and sea - two different terms), sea-farer and pirate depending on circumstances at the time - bit like our own Gráinne Ní Mháille (who used ships similar in design to longships - shallow draft, highly manoeuvrable oar and sail driven. She, however also engaged in what we define as piracy - attacking other ships at sea - where as the 'vikings' tended to be raiders - attacking land based sites). She had over 1,000 cattle and breeding mares based at Carrigahowley in Mayo, crops were grown on her land but she also had a fleet of galleys. She described herself in a 1595 document as poor widow woman farmer who had no choice but to engage in a spot of raiding as if she didn't she would be raided herself and the 'piracy' was simply collecting tolls from ships in Uí Máille waters. She could, had she lived 500 years earlier, accurately be called , on occasion, a vikingr.

Like Gráinne, a typical 'viking' would have a farm but would sign up for - or organise - sailing voyages which would could be a mixture of raiding and trading. Rob something in Northumbria and sell it in Dublin would be common.

Probably it was a case of victims asking 'who are you?' and the reply would be 'I am vikingr' (i.e. I am a pirate) so they came to be known as vikings and this has been, incorrectly, extended to describe the peoples of Scandinavia. I have read people refer to 'viking children'...ummm...no. Children were not vikingr - they would be fairly crap at it being small and weak and needing to nap after lunch.

A similar thing happened with the term 'Pagan' - from the Latin pagus (country district) we get paganus (country dweller i.e. not 'civilised' as they were not a civis of a civitas - resident of a city). It referred to everyone who lived outside the 'urbs' or 'civitas' regardless of religious belief. In Roman records when we find the word is usually used in a 'country bumpkin' context. Yet we read in history books about Pagans attacking and The Pagans e.g. 'The Pagans attacked xxxx' - technically this means people who lived in rural areas attacked the city but what actually happened was non-Christians (some of whom did in fact live in urban areas and were technically Roman citizens) raided a territory.

Julius Caesar was not a 'Pagan' - nor were the vast majority of those described as 'pagan' authors.

In Ireland we still use the word 'culchi' - Ken Nicholls has made a compelling argument that this derives from Coillte or forest - if he is correct (and he usually is) this means a 'culchi' is someone who lived in a wooded area (which did make up a large portion of the Irish landmass) as opposed to those who dwelt within a cleared area like a Rath/Bawn/ monastic settlement - or within an Ostman ('viking' :p) urban area (Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Waterford etc).
    A 'culchi' was still a member of the tuatha - aka the people of the clan who lived within the law, unlike a Cethern Coille (wood kern) who was a 'bandit' living outside the law having been expelled for being very bold indeed.

There is a difference between a Cethern Coille and those 'wood kerne' who later became know as 'Tories' (which is where the nickname for the UK's Conservative Party derives). According to the would be conquers both groups were bandits but in the Annals 'Tories' are those who were dispossessed and took to the forests as guerilla fighters - bit like Robin Hood but without all that take from the rich give to the poor romantic nonsense.

In Ireland we call rural dwellers Culchi but, unless they are living in a wooded area, we should be calling them Pagans. What we do not do (except in the more challenging parts of AH) is refer to Culchis as a whole, different, race of people.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

What we do not do (except in the more challenging parts of AH) is refer to Culchis as a whole, different, race of people.
    You probably should, we generally refer to you Corkonians (Corkonites?) as a different breed altogether :pac:

CramCycle wrote: »
    You probably should, we generally refer to you Corkonians (Corkonites?) as a different breed altogether :pac:

We are.

Sure Cork is the only place in the world Queen Liz is treated as an equal. Like.

Suddenly catallus's [sic] rantings about "pagans" make a tiny bit of sense. :pac:

• Advertisement

We are.

Sure Cork is the only place in the world Queen Liz is treated as an equal. Like.

Yeah, the rest of us look down on the poor inbred girl.

Yeah, the rest of us look down on the poor inbred girl.

Do you?

Gosh - how rude the rest of you are to look down on a person for circumstances beyond their control.

:pac:

The point being that 'viking' refers to a specific activity not a 'race' of people. It is akin to using a variation of the word Táin (meaning cattle raid) when referring to the Gaelic 'Irish' - after all, reading the Annals that appears to be their main activity.
    The "vikings" were often just called "gaillimh" or foreigners by tetchy locals in Ireland. The Annals complain that "foreigners" and "heathens" from the place formerly known as Inbhear Dhea (Inver dee = Vartry estuary) and thereafter known as Wicklow town (viking marshes/lowlands) had ventured inland to Kildare and burned down a church.
    Also interesting is that tribes were often called after their favoured weapons, so the saxons used short swords, called sax, which they used to "sag" their enemies with. So if you are starting to sag at the end of a long day, remember where that expression first came from.

I'm wondering Banna, if you know anything about the "spearmen" of this period coming into Ireland. I'm not a historian, as such, just an amateur, but I have gathered a few loose threads into a general hypothesis; that the early settlers into Ireland were of two separate origins. The first ones arrived in the southwest, via the Basque region, but originating in the Pyrenees, as is evidenced by the similarity in DNA of certain Irish shrews and snails to that region. These were miners and cattlemen, they brought bronze-age gold and metalworking skills and also livestock. The shrews and snails were stowaways in the hay needed for the voyage.

The second lot arrived from the northwest, a seafaring tribe from around the Friesian Islands/Dutch/ Danish coast, known to Romans as Cauci celts, or possibly Angles. Their weapon of choice an iron spear or "Gar" hence they sometimes called the gar-men or germans. Their skill was in fishing and boating. Moving inland they still preferred to live by the water, in crannógs. Crannógs are not found much farther south than Lough Garr in the midlands. There was a fault line somewhere around here between them and the southerners which limited their expansion. The strife between these newcomers and the older settlers was recorded in legend as the Tuatha de Danann v the Fir Bolg. They finished up around the fertile river Shannon area eventually, from where Brian Boru eventually emerged. The ancient name "lochlainn" which is often taken to mean an Irish word for "vikings" was used even before the Scandinavians arrived, to describe these "lakemen".

Plausible hypothesis or nonsense? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Trinity re-brands and removes the bible from its crest:

Book of lies and hate removed from Trinners' crest

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Trinity re-brands and removes the bible from its crest:

Book of lies and hate removed from Trinners' crest
    What makes us think that the book depicted on the current coat of arms is a bible?

391px-Trinity_College_Dublin_Arms.svg.png

I don't see anything particularly biblical about it.

Presumably, the open book will look like the one that already features in the not-much-used arms of the University of Dublin (as opposed to the arms of Trinity College):

iuniva1.jpg

While there's nothing to say that this book is a bible, there's equally nothing to say it isn't.

So why is one a bible and the other not?

Sure why would we think of "Trinity" as having Christian connotations? It could just as easily refer to a BLT sandwich. Or we could just not be obtuse.

Trinity obviously does have Christian connotations - all the more reason for asking why, if you substitute an open book for a closed book, it miraculously becomes "not a bible", when there is no indication that it was ever a bible in the first place.

If TCD was connected with a Catholic ascendancy rather than a Protestant one, I'd expect the Iona **** to be foaming at the mouth.

recedite wrote: »
    The "vikings" were often just called "gaillimh" or foreigners by tetchy locals in Ireland. The Annals complain that "foreigners" and "heathens" from the place formerly known as Inbhear Dhea (Inver dee = Vartry estuary) and thereafter known as Wicklow town (viking marshes/lowlands) had ventured inland to Kildare and burned down a church.
    Also interesting is that tribes were often called after their favoured weapons, so the saxons used short swords, called sax, which they used to "sag" their enemies with. So if you are starting to sag at the end of a long day, remember where that expression first came from.

I'm wondering Banna, if you know anything about the "spearmen" of this period coming into Ireland. I'm not a historian, as such, just an amateur, but I have gathered a few loose threads into a general hypothesis; that the early settlers into Ireland were of two separate origins. The first ones arrived in the southwest, via the Basque region, but originating in the Pyrenees, as is evidenced by the similarity in DNA of certain Irish shrews and snails to that region. These were miners and cattlemen, they brought bronze-age gold and metalworking skills and also livestock. The shrews and snails were stowaways in the hay needed for the voyage.

The second lot arrived from the northwest, a seafaring tribe from around the Friesian Islands/Dutch/ Danish coast, known to Romans as Cauci celts, or possibly Angles. Their weapon of choice an iron spear or "Gar" hence they sometimes called the gar-men or germans. Their skill was in fishing and boating. Moving inland they still preferred to live by the water, in crannógs. Crannógs are not found much farther south than Lough Garr in the midlands. There was a fault line somewhere around here between them and the southerners which limited their expansion. The strife between these newcomers and the older settlers was recorded in legend as the Tuatha de Danann v the Fir Bolg. They finished up around the fertile river Shannon area eventually, from where Brian Boru eventually emerged. The ancient name "lochlainn" which is often taken to mean an Irish word for "vikings" was used even before the Scandinavians arrived, to describe these "lakemen".

Plausible hypothesis or nonsense? :)

I wouldn't be too familiar with pre-history as I only studied it as a fresher when I briefly did archaeology (sooo long ago that it could nearly qualify as pre-history) but I do recall Barra O'Donnabhain - whose area of expertise is pre-historic and medieval Ireland - getting very incensed over the common belief that the 'Gaels' are the same as the 'Celts' found in Continental Europe.

Barra has published on this so that is where I would go looking if I were you

Within the historical period we find a very clear line drawn between Gael and Gall - It was also very simple. Gael was anyone whose descent through the male line was 'Irish' while Gall was everyone else. They may speak the same language, follow the same customs, have the same mother, live in the same location but the line was clear. It was all in the blood. They were obsessed with blood lines.

For example Murrough Na Moar Ua Flaithbhertaigh and Tibboid na long Búrc were half-brothers. Both sons of Gráinne Ní Mháille. Both captains in her fleet. They described themselves as brothers and each named the other as executor in their wills. Murrough was 'Gael/Irish', Tibboid was 'Gall/Sean Gall/English' as he was descended in the male line from an Anglo-Norman.

It didn't really seem to make a whit of difference when it came to alliance, marriage etc but nonetheless the distinction was made clear. Your 'race' was your patrilinial bloodline and that could never change - which is why women never changed their name after marriage.

The key is the surnames - surnames were in use in Ireland long before most of the rest of Europe and often 'evolved' as people chose a more impressive male ancestor to link themselves to by blood. Uí Briain for example - they are consciously saying 'we have the blood of Boru in our veins'.

Some times they will define who the gall/foreigners are e.g. Mayo of the Saxons (Saxon monks had a small monastery in Maigh Eo). or they can be vague Dún na Gall (fort of the foreigners) as opposed to Tír Connaill - land of the people (descendants) of Connaill.

The overwhelming dominance of Gaelic patronyms prior to the Norman invasion would suggest that the majority of the population north and south considered themselves of common Gaelic ancestry (in the male line which is how they reckoned these things) and their origins were as described in pre-Norman The Book Of Invasions - which states they arrived from Iberia.

Up until the 17th century this was accepted as fact (both Gerald of Wales in the 12th century and Edmund Spenser in the 16th refer constantly to the 'racial' connections between Hibernia and Iberia) but lost ground to the whole 'Celtic' thing over the course of the 18th/19th century. Recent research in DNA mapping now favours the Book of Invasions version.

I should again emphasise that pre-history is outside my field so I can really only comment on how the various clans described themselves and their origins in the historical periods I am familiar with i.e. post-Norman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

I love your history lessons Banna :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement