Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda corruption?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

move along, nothing to see here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

does a few pints come under a bribe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭jasonmcco

sfwcork wrote: »
    does a few pints come under a bribe?

Yeah it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

jasonmcco wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/inquiry-finds-no-evidence-of-corruption-on-penalty-points-1.1355315

Inquiry finds no evidence of corruption on penalty points WTF.

I think alot of people know someone personally who has had points removed unfairly.

Garda investigating themselves is a joke.

After publication of Murphy report Garda have lost the moral high ground they feel is theirs by right to inhabit.

Independent inquiry and criminal charges for those who have abused their positions to help their MATES.

They were found to be possibly in breach of their discipline regulations but not any criminal offences so what criminal charges would you suggest?

A typical response in this country is to call for an independent inquiry which gets bogged down in legal matters, runs for years, costs millions and by the time the 6 million page report on it is published, all those who may have been guilty of anything have retired or died.

How many feckin inquiries have we had in this country so far? We dont need another inquiry, we can't feckin afford another inquiry.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/inquiry-finds-no-evidence-of-corruption-on-penalty-points-1.1355315

I think alot of people know someone personally who has had points removed unfairly.

Garda investigating themselves is a joke.

After publication of Murphy report Garda have lost the moral high ground they feel is theirs by right to inhabit.

Independent inquiry and criminal charges for those who have abused their positions to help their MATES.

What do you want to do? a 10 year independent inquiry costing millions? Criminal charges? Your penalty points wiped?

It's out now, it obviously won't happen again and the gardaí involved will face disciplinary action. Let's move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's not really serious corruption from the sounds of things though. It doesn't sound like they're taking any payment for getting rid of the points. So in reality their going out of their way to help people. It's a misguided kindness type of corruption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

CJC999 wrote: »
    They were found to be possibly in breach of their discipline regulations but not any criminal offences so what criminal charges would you suggest?
    QUOTE]

Perverting the course of justice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

It was always going to be the outcome. The cancellation of fixed charge penalties is a use of the Garda power of discretion when it comes to prosecuting minor offences. The vast majority of fines will have been cancelled for perfectly legitimate reasons. For the ones that weren't, those involved will likely face disciplinary proceedings for abusing or misusing that power of discretion. But unless they received some favour in return there couldn't be any prosecutions. Likewise, people who availed of thier friendships to get points cancelled, people like Ming Flanagan, will also avoid any repurcussions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's not really serious corruption from the sounds of things though. It doesn't sound like they're taking any payment for getting rid of the points. So in reality their going out of their way to help people. It's a misguided kindness type of corruption.
    More of a misguided doing favours for your friends and family kind of corruption.

Wompa1 wrote: »

Perverting the course of justice...

In which case you'd have to prosecute any Garda who lets someone off with a warning for anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

SB2013 wrote: »
    In which case you'd have to prosecute any Garda who lets someone off with a warning for anything.

Nope. This was a case in which the person was caught in wrong doing and issued the ticket, points etc. Which was then scratched off by somebody else.

Gardai can issue a warning at their own discression. This was not the case, this was a case of corruption.

Likewise, people who availed of thier friendships to get points cancelled, people like Ming Flanagan, will also avoid any repurcussions.

Strange point. Are you suggesting that gardai abusing their position to cancel fines are no worse that the members of the public who had those fines cancelled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

ScumLord wrote: »

LMAO this is priceless. They weren't going out of their way to help people, the only people they helped were the elite of this banana republic.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Nope. This was a case in which the person was caught in wrong doing and issued the ticket, points etc. Which was then scratched off by somebody else.

Gardai can issue a warning at their own discression. This was not the case, this was a case of corruption.

If a person had a ticket cancelled in return for some favour then that would indeed be corruption. If it was cancelled for a friend it would be an abuse of power. If it was cancelled for good reason then its perfectly legitimate. I'm not aware of any evidence of the first two being produced by those who leaked the personal information of thousands of people.

humbert wrote: »
    Strange point. Are you suggesting that gardai abusing their position to cancel fines are no worse that the members of the public who had those fines cancelled?

Are you suggesting that somebody using influence to get a fine cancelled is free of wrongdoing?

Are you suggesting that somebody using influence to get a fine cancelled is free of wrongdoing?
    No I'm not. You didn't answer my question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

a Guard wiping out a speeding ticket for a friend or relative

No way Hose.never in a month of sundays.

*** Smells sarcasim meter about to blow up ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I used to have a mate a Guard, he ate babies for breakfast and toddlers for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭MayoArsehole

People can joke all they want about it but the fact is that some Irish Gardaí are most definitely corrupt and think nothing of abusing their powers if they think they can get away with it. I had a Garda force me to leave accommodation I was renting from her once because she was friends with one of the tenants who was an asshole to everyone else there, told her how I had been physically and verbally threatened but I was told to leave that day, not even given my statuatory 7 days notice and she refused to return my deposit (even if I had been guilty of anti social behaviour i'd be entitled to 7 days notice) took the case to PRTB but of course even though it's clear cut it somehow can not be pursued because she was never registered in first place (itself an offence) and I couldn't provide her home correspondence address!, anyone think the Ombudsman's worth a shot? Her station Super refused to do anything because she was "not in uniform" when she evicted me, she was! lol

Advertisement