Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Who. It ain't scary no more?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Aoifums wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's because the OP was a kid. The only Classic Who clip I have seen that sent a shiver down my spine was this one. I watched it there without a bother. But it freaked me out the first time I saw it

The Weeping Angels are creepy and I found the Silence mildly scary but I'm easily scared. I can imagine them being a lot scarier to a child. I'd like to test it but I don't have any children that I can force to watch it.

Thanks Aoifums.

The point I was (probably) putting up for discussion was that kids back then seen very few sci-fi programmes (trying to think what others there were). And with very few effects, costuming etc. Nowadays computer generated effects and elaborate costuming are the norm, and kids see enough of it not to be scared by it, nearly to the point where it would have to absolute in-your-face blood and gore to freak anyone out.

I ask my own kids do they think Dr Who is scary, and they look at me like I got 2 heads.

Then again, Dr Who was on about 6pm back in the 70's which would have meant a lot younger kids were watching it.

Maybe it's just me, but it was a sort of laughingly accepted that a lot of kids were scared sh1tless by some parts of Dr Who back then, and did hide behind the couch or whatever. And I'm not aware of any other TV programmes before the watershed that has that effect nowadays.

So it's probably not about whether Dr Who was scarier back then, it's probably more that kids weren't used to seeing stuff like that, whereas they see it all the time now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Well considering it's gone to shite lately, it's not scary anymore. It's more like a madman's playground.

DAMMIT, MOFFAT!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Well considering it's gone to shite lately, it's not scary anymore. It's more like a madman's playground.

DAMMIT, MOFFAT!

Never have I been so disappointed to get what I wanted as when Moffat took over (except for Gaiman's second episode).

At least when RTD was in charge The Moff could focus on writing and we got shows like The Empty Child/Doctor Dances, The Impossible Planet/Satan Pit, Girl in the Fireplace, Human Nature/Family of Blood.... There hasn't been one show since Matt Smith took over that's come close to touching any of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

kylith wrote: »
    Never have I been so disappointed to get what I wanted as when Moffat took over (except for Gaiman's second episode).

At least when RTD was in charge The Moff could focus on writing and we got shows like The Empty Child/Doctor Dances, The Impossible Planet/Satan Pit, Girl in the Fireplace, Human Nature/Family of Blood.... There hasn't been one show since Matt Smith took over that's come close to touching any of those.

Actually Matt Jones wrote The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit and Paul Cornell wrote Human Nature/Family of blood. *tips Nerd hat*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Apolloyon wrote: »
    Actually Matt Jones wrote The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit and Paul Cornell wrote Human Nature/Family of blood. *tips Nerd hat*

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that he wrote all of them, though he did write many good episodes, I was just trying to demonstrate the previous quality of the programmes, and make the point that there's been nothing comparable since Moff took over the reins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

CTYIgirl wrote: »

DAMMIT, MOFFAT!

He seems to have forgotten that Doctor Who is science fiction and turned it into some sh!tty wannabe Narnia crapfest.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Only thing I ever liked about Dr Who was the theme tune, which is fantastic, the Daleks are the sh1ttest enemies ever. Run up some stairs, problem solved :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

LSD usage ramped up the scare factor in 70's kids TV programmes

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

krudler wrote: »
    Only thing I ever liked about Dr Who was the theme tune, which is fantastic, the Daleks are the sh1ttest enemies ever. Run up some stairs, problem solved :pac:
    They can fly.

Advertisement