Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[UK] 'Most dangerous' roads revealed

• 25-06-2007 9:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6235058.stm
    'Most dangerous' roads revealed

Britain's most dangerous road for travelling on is a section of highway in Lancashire, according to a survey.

The 15-mile stretch of the A682 has had almost 100 deaths or serious injuries in the last decade.

The report was compiled by the Road Safety Foundation for the European Road Assessment Programme (EuroRAP).

Head researcher Dr Joanne Hill said a further 16 road sections were adjudged to present a persistent "medium to high risk" to road users.

The section of the A682, between junction 13 of the M65 and Long Preston, was the only road in the highest risk category.

The survey found that the second worst road was the A54 Congleton to Buxton in Derbyshire, with the third worst being the A683 from junction 34 of the M6 to Kirkby Lonsdale in Cumbria.

Dr Hill said: "The good news from the survey is that many of Britain's authorities have brought in countermeasures to tackle the higher risk routes in their areas.

"Most are quick, simple and cheap, involving little more than adopting modern signing, hazard markings and junction layouts."

Dr Hill said that the A682 "fails on every collision type".

Rail crash equivalent

These included junction and access road crashes, collisions with rigid roadside objects, overtaking crashes, pedestrian and cyclist collisions and motorcycle crashes.

"The death-toll on this stretch of road is the equivalent of five major rail crashes within 10 years," she said.

"The foundation's consultation with local authorities over the past four years has consistently shown that lack of funding is the principal reason why they do not tackle accident numbers on their roads on the scale that could make a major difference.

"Other local authorities have undoubtedly saved lives - often by the simple application of white paint."

EuroRAP chairman John Dawson said: "The UK is now falling behind those countries it used to lead only a few years ago because its pace in applying the results of research into safe road design lags behind the best.

"Cutting road deaths requires combined action to improve driver behaviour, to improve vehicle crash performance, and to provide safety features on the roads themselves.

"We need five-star drivers in five-star cars on five-star roads."

UK'S MOST DANGEROUS ROADS
    A682 from junction M65 to A65 at Long Preston, Lancashire
    A54 Congleton to Buxton, Derbyshire
    A683 from junction 34 on the M6 to Kirkby Lonsdale, Cumbria
    A62 from Diggle to Huddersfield, Yorkshire
    A671 from Burnley to A59 at Whalley, Lancashire
    A653 Dewsbury to junction 28 of the M62 south of Leeds
    A1079 from Market Weighton to Kingston upon Hull
    A53 Leek to Buxton
    A726 from junction 3 of the M77 to Paisley in Renfrewshire, Scotland
    A46 from Market Rasen to Grimsby

http://www.roadsafetyfoundation.com/
    News Flash

2007 EuroRAP GB Tracking Survey Results Published

• A682 named Britain’s most dangerous road
    • Worst sections see 10 times the deaths and injuries of the best
    • White paint saves lives…
    • Britain now lags in European race for safer roads

A short section of road in Lancashire tops the list of Britain’s most dangerous roads, and has killed or seriously injured nearly 100 people in the last decade, according to the latest assessment report by the Road Safety Foundation for EuroRAP.

The 15-mile stretch of the A682 in Lancashire, between junction 13 of the M65 and Long Preston, is Britain’s worst road section, and the only road in the highest risk category in the report. Yet the Road Safety Foundation’s latest study shows that the death and injury toll on this section of road is no better than it was in last year’s findings.

According to Dr Joanne Hill who heads the Foundation’s research, a further 16 road sections present a persistent “medium to high risk” to road users, resulting in 10 times the number of deaths and serious injuries of the country’s best roads.

“The good news from the survey is that many of Britain’s authorities have brought in countermeasures to tackle the higher risk routes in their areas,” says Dr Hill. “Most are quick, simple and cheap, involving little more than adopting modern signing, hazard markings and junction layouts.”

Vehicle-activated signs ahead of hazards have notably made a contribution on about one third of the sites. Speed cameras have been employed alongside other measures on about one third.

“Most roads in need of treatment score poorly for one of five common collision types,” says Dr Hill. “The A682 fails on every collision type: junction and access road crashes; collisions with rigid roadside objects; overtaking crashes; pedestrian and cyclist collisions; and motorcycle crashes.”

“The death-toll on this stretch of road is the equivalent of five major rail crashes within 10 years. The Foundation’s consultation with local authorities over the past four years has consistently shown that lack of funding is the principal reason why they do not tackle accident numbers on their roads on the scale that could make a major difference. Other local authorities have undoubtedly saved lives – often by the simple application of white paint.”

Commenting on the report, EuroRAP Chairman, John Dawson says: “The government has a huge opportunity to develop a large-scale national programme of high-return safety schemes which would be supported by authorities across Britain. The UK is now falling behind those countries it used to lead only a few years ago because its pace in applying the results of research into safe road design lags behind the best.”

Dawson continues: “Cutting road deaths requires combined action to improve driver behaviour, to improve vehicle crash performance, and to provide safety features on the roads themselves. We need five star drivers in five star cars on five star roads.”

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 altyfc

I think a number of the roads listed are frequented by motorcyclists. I wonder if this skews the figures slightly since injuries or fatalities on motorbikes are presumably much greater and more severe than those in cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

A few of these are roads typically touted on various websites and in magazines as 'best driving roads' and therefore attract more than their fair share of loonies, whether on 2 or 4 wheels. One, the A53 from Leek to Buxton is an old Roman road for a part of it, straight as a die, but quite hilly .. typical head on overtaking collision territory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 altyfc

So perhaps a fairer title would be "UK roads that attract the most dangerous drivers"... ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

altyfc wrote: »
    So perhaps a fairer title would be "UK roads that attract the most dangerous drivers"... ?
    Certainly for some of them, but I don't recognise them all. Some of the really well known 'drivers roads' like the Snake Pass (A57 Sheffield to Glossop) are regularly targeted by the police, have plenty of 'safety' cameras and have had gallons of paint used to paint double white lines down the middle, which has helped somewhat, although that's obviously made it lose some of it's appeal, so people have been branching out elsewhere.

I'm surprised though that every single one of those roads, bar one which is in Scotland, is in the North of England. I know of some seriously dangerous roads in other parts of the country which I thought would have made the grade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

thats because us Soft Southereners arent Man Enough to drive like lunatics....by 'eck..#

(or possibly because theres more hills oop north....i say oop north our Ashley.)

which is the most dangerous road in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Alun wrote: »
    I'm surprised though that every single one of those roads, bar one which is in Scotland, is in the North of England. I know of some seriously dangerous roads in other parts of the country which I thought would have made the grade.

All they have to go on, I'd assume, is road crash stats, Alun. However, I am sure that there is many roads more potent than these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

corktina wrote: »
    which is the most dangerous road in Ireland

A tossup between the N52 Mullingar to Delvin and the N62 Templemore to Thurles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hamndegger wrote: »
    All they have to go on, I'd assume, is road crash stats, Alun. However, I am sure that there is many roads more potent than these.
    As far as I know, the calculations for these reports compare collisions statistics with traffic volume statistics. Its a tool, but not a perfect tool.

Advertisement