Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Triangular journey on Irish Rail - question

• 26-10-2007 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

If I wanted to go from Cork to Dublin and then, from Dublin to Cork via a small provincial town (SPT), would this be the best way?

I buy a Cork-Dublin return. I use this to travel from Cork to Dublin. I buy a one-way from Dublin to SPT and go there. I buy a one-way from SPT to one of the towns on the Dublin-Cork route and proceed to Cork. Will Irish Rail let me use the return ticket for this final stage of the journey? (It will be like the standard return trip from Cork to Dublin except that I will be getting on the train a few stops later).

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Can't you get two tickets, Cork-SPT return and SPT-Dublin return? Then on the way up, use one ticket before SPT, and the other after SPT. On the way back, one ticket is Dublin-SPT return leg, the other is SPT-Cork return leg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It depends on the SPT. :)

Certain journeys are allowed, if they are roughly parallel and the same distance. Let us say you want to do Dublin-Cork and come back from Banteer, that would be allow. Or if you wanted to do Dublin-Ballina and return from Sligo, thats allowed.

Note that on certain lines that the fare matrix is different - generally single track, low frequency services are cheaper. You cannot use two tickets if they are cheaper than one ticket, unless you break your journey. As I understand it, you are allowed break a journey on Intercity trains, but must complete the journey on the same day.

Want to share with us what the SPT is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

You might also investigate whether using three of the one-way concession vouchers would be cheaper. It's about €30 per leg, irrespective of origin and destination. Vouchers available to members from credit unions and many workers' unions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

Until you tell us what SPT is we cannot answer you question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

simu wrote: »
    If I wanted to go from Cork to Dublin and then, from Dublin to Cork via a small provincial town (SPT), would this be the best way?

I buy a Cork-Dublin return. I use this to travel from Cork to Dublin. I buy a one-way from Dublin to SPT and go there. I buy a one-way from SPT to one of the towns on the Dublin-Cork route and proceed to Cork. Will Irish Rail let me use the return ticket for this final stage of the journey? (It will be like the standard return trip from Cork to Dublin except that I will be getting on the train a few stops later).

Thanks!

Just a thought, if the towns are on a Dublin commuter line, you may be able to use one of the commuter services to and from Dublin (I'm thinking especially of Naas-Newbridge-Kildare or even Carlow-Athy at a push) here; they all depart and return to Heuston and then travel on your Cork service as per normal. Pick up a ticket on the platform; you are looking about €10 give or take.

Remember that Dublin-Cork services won't stop until Thurles and only some services stop at Limerick Junction. This limits the amount of trains that you will be able to get from the SPTs forward and possibly will leave you requiring a lenghty weight for a transfer. It may be quicker to travel back to Dublin and travel on from there, and you can wait in a little comfort to boot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Athlone was the third town - I managed it with a Cork-Dublin return and a Dublin-Athlone return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

so what exactly did you do? i don't really understand what you tried (and succeeded) to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I travelled from Cork to Dublin, from Dublin to Athlone and from Athlone to Cork on a Cork-Dublin return and a Dublin-Athlone return. I thought at first that I might have to buy more tickets but no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

oh right! cool! :D

Advertisement