Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Cyprus - advice needed

Options
  • 02-10-2007 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64,951 ✭✭✭✭

Business trip coming up in a few weeks time and I need to book flights. Ideally I'm departing on a Monday, work over there from Tuesday to (part of) Friday and flying back on Friday. But I'm flexible, as long as I spent at least 3 full working days over there

Scheduled flight times seem awkward with one or even multiple stop overs each way. The obvious alternative to fly direct is book a chartered flight, but that means flights are typically Saturday to Saturday

Cost is not that much of an issue, within reason. I don't care if the return flights cost €100 or €1000

Anyone any tips? Anyone done this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've no experience of that route but I've always found one of the best ways of discovering unusual / novel routes to a destination is to look on the website of the airport you're flying to and work backwards from there. Often you'll get an overview there of all the airlines that service that airport and from there you can quickly deduce all possible starting points going to that airport, some of which might not always be immediately obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,287 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Pop over to foot.ie and post the same post in the fans section.

Cyprus have been in Ireland's groups a few time over recent years and you can be sure every option have been traversed by the fans.

www.foot.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I've used XL.com a few times. You may find times a bit awkward though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

www.skyscanner.net is your friend.

• Advertisement

testicle wrote:
    www.skyscanner.net is your friend.

Um... Cyprus not coming up in the "TO" section for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

which scheduled flights are you looking at? Cyprus airways and BA both fl from Heathrow several times a day,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

When searching try "Paphos" or "Larnaca" instead of Cyprus - might work better. AFAIK there are no scheduled services to Cyprus from Dublin, just a chartered service every Friday using EuroCyprus or Czech Air. The EuroCyprus is the better airline!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi,

We have had people working over there for many weeks. Basically there is no easy route there from here.

We had people going either via LHR or AMS. They prefered the AMS option because the EI flight stopped right next to the gate that the Cyprus flight went out of.

But basically they lost 2 days travelling every week .

There are charter flights from here ( DUB ) but they leave in the middle of the night and are nightmare full of screaming kids and people getting drunk going on holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Might be a bit late for you, but I've travelled to relatives in Cyprus a bit before. I'm going over again shortly and have been looking for ways of getting a one-way flight back.

EuroCypria used to have a direct flight (either Friday night or Sunday night, can't remember which) but it doesn't appear on their timetable now. I mailed them, and they said it's been chartered by Budget Travel. Rang Budget, they're charging a whopping 400+ quid for the week away (which I'd have to book although I just want a single flight back), and the times didn't suit me either. Found another travel agent for about 240, but the times were even worse.

There don't really seem to be any decent direct flights any more. Your best options for a return flight are probably through London, Manchester or Amsterdam with Cyprus Airways or BA.

I eventually found one via Brussels for a very cheap Eur 135.

Jetairfly Paphos - Brussels 90 quid, Ryanair Charleroi - Dublin 45 quid. You do have to change airports, but that shouldn't take more than 90 minutes and you have 3 hours.

Also, if you're using skyscanner for Dublin - Cyprus, untick the 'direct flights only' box.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

MOH wrote: »
    Jetairfly Paphos - Brussels 90 quid, Ryanair Charleroi - Dublin 45 quid. You do have to change airports, but that shouldn't take more than 90 minutes and you have 3 hours.

You must be off your rocker.

3 hours between Charleroi and Zaventem????

The bus from Charleroi to Brussels Midi leaves once an hour. It takes an hour. You also have to get from the Gare du Midi to Zaventem, check in, get through security, and get to the aircraft in that 3 hours!

testicle wrote: »
    You must be off your rocker.

3 hours between Charleroi and Zaventem????

The bus from Charleroi to Brussels Midi leaves once an hour. It takes an hour. You also have to get from the Gare du Midi to Zaventem, check in, get through security, and get to the aircraft in that 3 hours!

Nope, I'm going the other way. And I'll be checking in online the day before. So just need to be there about 30 mins before the flight

I've checked the timetables - train zaventem-???-charleroi 90 minutes, bus to station 10 mins or taxi if I'm running late.

Worst case and I miss it, it only 45 quid anyway. I'll spend a night in Brussles and come home next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,951 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Thanks a lot folks for all your help! Many useful tips out there

In the end, I let the company I'll be travelling to do the booking. They came up with better times than I could find. Flying over via LHR with BA on Monday. Flying back via Athens and Frankfurt with Lufthansa on Friday

@MOH - that's an adventurous stop-over in / around Brussels :)

The only way you could make that is in a taxi. I guess the money saved with your cheap flights would easily afford you the fare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

it's a long old haul even for dub direct larnaca , 5 hours plus is one of the longest flights in the EU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭FrCrilly

Alun wrote: »
    I've no experience of that route but I've always found one of the best ways of discovering unusual / novel routes to a destination is to look on the website of the airport you're flying to and work backwards from there. Often you'll get an overview there of all the airlines that service that airport and from there you can quickly deduce all possible starting points going to that airport, some of which might not always be immediately obvious.

I find Wikipedia handy to do this. Check out below list of airports in Cyprus and click on each to find out destinations to and from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airports_in_Cyprus

unkel wrote: »
    @MOH - that's an adventurous stop-over in / around Brussels :)

I still reckon I'll make it - I'll race you back :)

Although I've now a handicap in that the PFO-BRU leg has been put back by 20 minutes .....

Well, I made it, although I wouldn't recommend it for the faint-hearted.

Problems checking in in Paphos, because I hadn't printed my own boarding pass which nothing on the confirmation e-mail said I had to, they wouldn't accept the confirmation e-mail, and the jetairfly rep didn't turn up until about 50 minutes before departure.

Off the plane in Zaventem, sprint through airport to train station, buy ticket with five minutes to spare, then told there's a train strike and no-one's sure what's running or not.

Train to Brussels-Midi turns up on time but takes an hour instead of 25 minutes, miss connection to Charleroi. Next train is listed as being five minutes late but then vanishes from the platform display shortly before it's due. A quick sprint back down to the ticket office and I find it's moved to a different platform, make it with couple of minutes to spare.

A further 25 minutes late getting to Charleroi-Sud, make the supposedly 9-minute walk to the airport bus in about 3, catch bus just before it leaves, get to Charleroi at 18:15 for 19:00 flight. Bit of chaos at check-in, luckily I'd done it online so bypassed all that.

So in summary: cheap option, as a bonus I got a fair bit of exercise, but downside quite a bit of stress along the way.

:eek:

I think I'll stick with XL. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,951 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Well, I made it

So did I but my journey wasn't quite as stressful as that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

Your joking!!! Brussels South Charlaroi is no way near Brussels, its like having an airport at Dundalk and calling it Dublin North Airport!!! Never I repeat Never Trust Ryanair supposed destinations, their airports they use can be over 100 kms from the cities they advertise as their destination. EG Paris, Barcalona, Frankfurt, and more. If you need to conex at Brussels, take Airlingus. at least you will dropped at the same airport as yr conex flight. If I have to Fly Ryanair I would only do so if the Ryanair flight costs me E10 or less incl tax and charges otherwise fly Airlingus, cos believe me the cost of getting to and From the Airport that Ryanair flies into will negates any savings on any ryanair fare that costs more then E10

Might be a bit late for you, but I've travelled to relatives in Cyprus a bit before. I'm going over again shortly and have been looking for ways of getting a one-way flight back.

EuroCypria used to have a direct flight (either Friday night or Sunday night, can't remember which) but it doesn't appear on their timetable now. I mailed them, and they said it's been chartered by Budget Travel. Rang Budget, they're charging a whopping 400+ quid for the week away (which I'd have to book although I just want a single flight back), and the times didn't suit me either. Found another travel agent for about 240, but the times were even worse.

There don't really seem to be any decent direct flights any more. Your best options for a return flight are probably through London, Manchester or Amsterdam with Cyprus Airways or BA.

I eventually found one via Brussels for a very cheap Eur 135.

Also, if you're using skyscanner for Dublin - Cyprus, untick the 'direct flights only' box.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

c4cat wrote: »
    Your joking!!! Brussels South Charlaroi is no way near Brussels, its like having an airport at Dundalk and calling it Dublin North Airport!!! Never I repeat Never Trust Ryanair supposed destinations, their airports they use can be over 100 kms from the cities they advertise as their destination. EG Paris, Barcalona, Frankfurt, and more. If you need to conex at Brussels, take Airlingus. at least you will dropped at the same airport as yr conex flight. If I have to Fly Ryanair I would only do so if the Ryanair flight costs me E10 or less incl tax and charges otherwise fly Airlingus, cos believe me the cost of getting to and From the Airport that Ryanair flies into will negates any savings on any ryanair fare that costs more then E10

Huh? I knew before I went exactly where Charleroi was, I'd flown out of it before.

The Aer Lingus flight would have left me sitting around Zaventem for 6 hours, and would have cost me over 100 euro more.

Total cost of transferring from Zaventem to Charleroi was about 11 euro.

So I was home nearly 3 hours earlier and 100 euro richer than if I'd flown Aer Lingus. And the only reason it was stressful was an unexpected train strike.

I've been ripped off enough by Aer Lingus over the years to blindly give them money without researching the alternatives. I've no love lost for Ryanair either, but you can often get a much better deal with them, even allowing for the extra travel to the airport. In some cases they go to the same airport anyway (e.g. Riga), and in some cases their airport is closer (Milan).

Advertisement