Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bus No. 90/91

• 30-10-2007 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭

Hi

From looking at a previous thread (I forget the title) it seems the no. 90 bus from Heuston into town has improved greatly with the continuous bus lane now, even beating the LUAS into town I hear.

My question is "How is the no. 90 from town out to Heuston?" these days? Like, are they fairly fruquent? I checked the time table and it appears so but I would need to be able to get it from Connolly to Heuston at around 4:30pm each evening. Any problems with it?

I currently get the Luas but may switch back to Dublin Bus (changing the type of ticket I get).

Thanks - laoisfan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

The bus is consistently quicker than the tram from Heuston because of the improved bus lanes but it is much more effected by congestion in the other direction. At most times it takes about 15mns but heading into peak time it would be slower.

The only way to know is to try it out for a few days and see if it is better or worse.

The section from Connolly to Wellington Quay is the worst, after that it is fairly quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

yeah got the bus from Connolly to Heuston today (around 4:25pm). traffic was bad and yes the worst part was from Connolly to Wellington Quay :) after that is was fine.

i timed it and to be fair it probably only took about 5 mins longer than the luas heading to Heuston. but that was just 1 day. i am sure over a longer period i will get a better idea.

thanks - laoisfan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you do the full Connolly-Heuston distance? Note the 93 and 151 will also get you from IFSC to O'Connell Bridge, where you can get other buses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

The 93 no longer appears to be in operation.

Victor wrote: »
    Do you do the full Connolly-Heuston distance? Note the 93 and 151 will also get you from IFSC to O'Connell Bridge, where you can get other buses.

I live in Laois (near Rathdowney). My irish rail is valid from Ballybrophy to Dublin City Centre (includes 90/92 & Luas).

I work out in Eastpoint Business Park so that means I have to get either Dart or Bus out. I find the Dart unreliable especially as it is just 1 stop from Connolly to Clontarf Road. For the last few months now I have been getting buses out to Annessly Bridge (top of East Wall Road) and I walk the last 10 mins.

All in all after tax savings on my irish rail ticket plus the extra cash I spend on Dublin Bus my monthly outlay is €206 approx.

Currently in work we have to chose our yearly benefits which also include selecting our ticket for 2008.

I am thinking of getting the All Services Irish Rail & Dublin Bus for €265 which after tax will work out at €212 per month (assuming 20% tax and also assuming my maths is correct :) ). What this will give me is the following (I hope):

--I can use my ticket anywhere on the Irish Rail network especially from Templemore/Thurles which are just the same time drive wise from my house as it is currenly driving into Portlaoise.
    --Getting on at Templemore/Thurles will give me more flexibility in the afternoons/evenings as regards choice of trains.
    --My ticket will cover all of Dublin Bus so I do not have to worry about having change evey day plus if I need to go else where in Dublin I am covered.

The only downside is that the Luas will not be on it. However I do have a Luas SmartCard which is still active so I could keep it topped up so if traffic was really bad heading out to Heuston I can hop on the Luas instead.

--laoisfan

• Advertisement

laoisfan wrote: »
    I live in Laois (near Rathdowney). My irish rail is valid from Ballybrophy to Dublin City Centre (includes 90/92 & Luas).
    Can you get one valid from Ballybrophy to Clontarf Road?
    --I can use my ticket anywhere on the Irish Rail network especially from Templemore/Thurles which are just the same time drive wise from my house as it is currenly driving into Portlaoise.
    Do you normally board at Portlaoise?
    --Getting on at Templemore/Thurles will give me more flexibility in the afternoons/evenings as regards choice of trains.
    Does this place you at a slightly higher risk in the event of a train failure between Templemore and Portlaoise?
    The only downside is that the Luas will not be on it. However I do have a Luas SmartCard which is still active so I could keep it topped up so if traffic was really bad heading out to Heuston I can hop on the Luas instead.
    Thats a pain. Are you certain you can't get a Ballybrophy (or whereever) to Clontarf Road (includes 90/92 & Luas)?

Hi

I should have been more precise in my previous posting as regards my current ticket but anyway here is my current actual ticket details.

1 ticket which covers Ballybrophy to Clontarf Road which breaks down as follows:

--Ballybrophy to Dublin Heuston via Irish Rail.
    --Heuston to City Centre via no. 90/92 or Luas.
    --City Centre (well Connolly) to Clontarf Road via Dart.

Then it is either walk to commuter bus from Dart Station to Eastpoint Business Park.

There is only 1 train which stops in Ballybrophy in the morning which will get a person into Heuston before 9am. That is the 06:58am from Ballybrophy (actual it is the Cork train stopping) and it is supposed to get to Heuston at 08:25am. My experience of this train is bad, a lot of times I have got to Heuston at 08:50am or even 09:00am.

The only alternative is the Limerick trains which does not serve Ballybrophy but yet it serves Thurles-Templemore-Portlaoise. I do currently drive into Portlaoise (30mins) and get on the train there. If I change my ticket to "All Services Irish Rail & Dublin Bus" it means I can get the train from anywhere plus use Dublin Bus anywhere in Dublin too.

I realise I could be putting myself at rish of train failure between Portlaoise and Templemore but isn't that risk there on the whole line anywhere. I mean, Irish Rail hardly plan their train failures.....or do they :D

I no longer get the Dart from Connolly Station to Clontarf road as it takes too long. I have been getting the bus from across from Connolly Station to Annessly Bridge for some time now and they are quicker and more reliable. Plus there are loads of buses picking up there and stopping at Annessly Bridge.

Anyway, I have gone through the maths, even checked with somebody in Revenue (one of them is a mate from Thurles who goes up/down each too) and he agrees that the All Services ticket for Irish Rail/Dublin is the one to go for if I definitely want to have option of picking what train station I want to get on plus have Dublin Bus as well.

To be honest a lot of the different ticket types can be good or bad depending on where you live/work and what kind of services they run.

I got the no. 90 from Heuston this morning to City Centre and it only took under 10 mins and to be honest it was quicker than the Luas. That said it might only have been this morning!!

My current monthly cost (after tax) is approx. €206. If I change my ticket type it will be approx. €212 per month but will not include Luas. However it will allow me greater flexibility as regards where I get on i.e. Thurles, Templemore, Ballybrophy or Portlaoise plus I do not have to be fishing for change for the bus in Dublin. My Luas SmartCard still works so I could throw €10 every now and again if I want to have option of Luas if traffic is bad etc.

I have probably confused people now :)

To be honest the sooner the integrated tickets come in the better, it might make life easier for commuters like me and other people of course!!

What would be the solution to bringing in the integrated tickets? Reduce all journeys to single-journey perhaps? 2-cent!

Anyway....to sum up.....really all I am looking for is to have as much flexibility as possible without incurring too much additional expense. The ticket I am thinking of switching too seems to be the best option.

--laoisfan

laoisfan wrote: »
    I realise I could be putting myself at ris[k] of train failure between Portlaoise and Templemore but isn't that risk there on the whole line anywhere. I mean, Irish Rail hardly plan their train failures.....or do they :D
    Train failure at say Thurles, shouldn't affect trains starting north of Thurles.

Advertisement