Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Holy Lady in a Azure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

The spell is broken; all hail Steve!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

/Shakes head
    Steve is a false idol. Beware and forsooth! Doom!! I have sackcloth and ashes for all.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OldGoat wrote: »
    /Shakes head
    Steve is a false idol. Beware and forsooth! Doom!! I have sackcloth and ashes for all.

Dammit OG, I have just had a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Sackcloth and ashes? Are we going upmarket now?

Rubecula wrote: »
    Sackcloth and ashes? Are we going upmarket now?

What did we have before?

• Advertisement

eee when I were a youngster. We dreamed of sackcloth and ashes, used to get a rub down off a piece of cinder and dress up in second hand crepe paper.

warm cinder?

Aye.

Luxury, we had a rub down on cold cinder weilded by a manic mammy who built up muscles putting barrel staves through a mangel.

Very sorry I seem to have come over a little bit Monty Pythonish for a moment

Honestly, I know it sounds a bit MP-ish, but my mum really did have a mangle that lived outside. There was a copper boiler inside the kitchen, but the kitchen was very small so the washing tub and the mangle lived outside. I would not like to now have to put cotton sheets through a mangle in the middle of winter, outside, then putting them on the line to freeze-dry, but that's what she did. Have you ever brought frozen washing in? Hard work! It would be then put round the range to finish drying, and if it was there when my dad came in from work he would say 'huh, we've got t' trimmings up!' (Yorkshire 'sense of humour', still gets me into trouble!). We did get a twin tub washing machine when I was about 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Many years ago I remember bringing frozen laundry in from the garden. Hubby's shirt stood on the floor all on its own! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Very sorry I seem to have come over a little bit Monty Pythonish for a moment
    Hah, I love MP, especially that sketch!

How many cheeses do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

How many cheeses do you know?

The one and only...
    Cheeses of Nasareth

"Route 191, 350 East Lawn Road, Nazareth, PA 18064"

:D

(only the yanks could do this)

Hah, for a minute I thought you might have had shares in that cheesy place, Steve! :D

Getting back to dodgy drinks...I was having an in-depth discussion with a couple of tea enthusiasts about the ways in which tea can be abused in the course of preparation. The worst offerings seem to have involved a cup of hot water with an associated-but-not-immersed tea bag (on a string) accompanied by UHT 'milk'.

I was on Irish Rail on Sunday and bought a cup of tea (I usually get coffee on the basis that dodgy coffee is easier to drink than dodgy tea). And do you know what? Even given that it was in a cardboard cup, it was actually not bad tea at all. Even the UHT which claimed to 'taste like real milk' did in fact taste like real milk. Things are looking up!

I used to think UHT milk was called that because of the sound you made when you tasted it...

uht... spit...

(it means Ultra High Temperature btw, they boil the taste out of it..)

I have also had Irish Rail Tea. It was nice. :) Still prefer real milk. But no-one gets that these days. :mad:

I stopped using milk in tea a few years ago. It took a few weeks to get over the loss but now I'm happy that I did. I can taste the tea now.
    A whole new world of tea tastes has opened and I never ever have to get annoyed when I get handed UHT anymore. :)

I really cant get used to the milkless tea scenario, it makes my face shrivel up. I can (and usually do) drink unsweetened and unmilked coffee, so that is the preferred brew. Or herbal tea.

I gave up milk about six or seven years ago when I became intolerant to it again, and more or less stopped drinking tea altogether. Not keen on soya in tea, and not keen on black tea either, so moved over to black coffee and pretty much stayed with that.

Anyone else find that if they -do- drink milk in anything (after being off it for a while), be it cereal or tea or whatever, it makes it taste weirdly of cow?

I have never given up milk. I prefer full fat milk, but am on the Supermilk on medical instructions. Got used to it I suppose. Tried the low fat milk but it is putrid, it colours the tea grey, yeugh! Sugar, now there's a thing we should all give up (sez she who is addicted to the stuff!). Sometimes I give up sugar but always go back to it.

I think a bit of sugar is preferable to the chemical sugar, but I can happily drink tea and coffee with no sugar, I prefer it that way.

• Advertisement

Chemical sugar? Wot is dat?

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Chemical sugar? Wot is dat?

All that saccharin and aspartame etc though they have names like Canderel and Splenda. I am being totally unscientific here as I am aware that they have all been declared safe etc, I just think they are yet another source of non-natural stuff we swallow, breath, etc.

looksee wrote: »
    All that saccharin and aspartame etc though they have names like Canderel and Splenda. I am being totally unscientific here as I am aware that they have all been declared safe etc, I just think they are yet another source of non-natural stuff we swallow, breath, etc.

Well, there's a lot of controversy over aspartame in general, but I did some research on it a few months ago and the official health boards imply that the problems are a load of codswallop, so... I dunno, really. I'm not keen on it myself.

I've never used those sugars and if I had to, I'd just give it up all together.

Weak tea with loads of milk and 2 sugars... basically warm watery sweet milk, mmm.

Can't stand milk or anything in coffee though.

Steve wrote: »
    Weak tea with loads of milk and 2 sugars... basically warm watery sweet milk, mmm.

Blerk! heresy!

looksee wrote: »
    Blerk! heresy!

The word you need there is "uht" :D

Earl Grey. 'nuff said.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Earl Grey. 'nuff said.

Lady Grey - I find the Earl a little overwhelming!

• Advertisement

What has all this to do with 'The Holy Lady in a Azure' anyway? I believe we have lost the plot and lost our way. :D

Advertisement