Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help re: Stolen iphone 4s...

Options
  • 15-01-2012 5:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone here has maybe had a similar experience and could possibly give me some advice?

My iphone 4s was pick-pocketed from me on Saturday night/morning (no, of course I didn't have insurance on it....). I was outside The Globe on George's St in Dublin. I was outside ahead of my friends, rang them to ask where they were, put my phone in my coat pocket, by the time they came outside I was already freaking that I couldn't find my phone.

I have no recollection of anybody standing particularly close to me and nobody "bumped" into me. While my friends and I were trying to logic our way to a solution my friend felt someone's hand in her bag - chased after the *ahem* so and so who had taken her wallet and got it back, I wasn't thinking straight otherwise I would have confronted them (a guy and a girl) about my phone too.

I downloaded the "Find my iphone" app - unfortunately I have no other "devices" to plug into it to get started with finding it. I'm going to get my sister to look into that as she has an iphone.

I went to the guards, just on the off chance they knew of some other way of tracking it, they don't. The lovely guard also told me that the "find my iphone" app isn't accurate, it only gives you a 50 metre radius. She said to give them the details of where it appears when I get it, but that they can't barge into random houses for just a phone - which I 100% understand!

I have since got a new sim and am using an old phone of mine (begrudgingly) but I'm hoping there's still a chance I can find where it is??

The battery on the phone was almost dead when I last had it, it went straight to voicemail when my friends rang it, I also have the screen passcode and obviously pin, I've called Meteor and they've blocked the sim and done the IMEI code so somebody else won't be able to use it. It also means I can't send a message to the phone to say "I'll give you a reward etc etc" as is advised on a few websites I've already looked at.

I'm just wondering has anybody here had a similar experience? Do you have any advice or tips for me? Are any of you super techie and have any other suggestions as to what I can do?

I know it's probably a lost cause but I want to be sure I've tried everything within my power to get this phone back.

Cheers everyone - sorry for the long post!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

Go to iCloud.com . You can tell find my iPhone to email you when it's located and also to display a reward message.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Bull**** on the 50m radius. Thats only with the triangulation used by the mobile towers. With GPS it can be 5-10m.

Also it can set off a very loud alarm that you can hear from the front door if the police were to knock.

She may be "lovely" as you put it, but clueless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Did you phone the iPolice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I had a phone stolen one night and in the morning I rang into my Vmail to check messages and there was a message from a girl to some bloke asking him what the **** he wanted at this hour.

So... I rang O2 and asked for the last 5 dialed numbers from my phone, got the girls number and phoned her.

She said she got a call from her ex from a number she didn't recognise (mine) and called it back. I asked her for the guys name and address and she gave it to me.

Off I went to the Garda station with the details of my phone, my little story and the details of the "suspect".

I was told I did not have enough evidence and they can't be barging into people's homes. It was an adjoining parish and they said they would swing by and have a chat with him but there was not enough for a search warrant.

So OP I don't think "find my iPhone" will be much use to you unless you are going to take the law into your own hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Snoopster

Thanks for the replies - but if I have the sim and IMEI cancelled doesn't that mean no messages can come up because they won't be able to use it?

I don't think they made any calls with it, as I said, the battery was almost gone and it was pin and passcode locked.

I'll give the find my phone thing a go and keep my fingers crossed (I'll also say a prayer to St Anthony and St Jude - not that I'm religious in the first place..) but if the phone is completely locked off surely the alarm thing and message won't work?

• Advertisement

Oh, i don't know about that... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

Snoopster wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies - but if I have the sim and IMEI cancelled doesn't that mean no messages can come up because they won't be able to use it?

I don't think they made any calls with it, as I said, the battery was almost gone and it was pin and passcode locked.

I'll give the find my phone thing a go and keep my fingers crossed (I'll also say a prayer to St Anthony and St Jude - not that I'm religious in the first place..) but if the phone is completely locked off surely the alarm thing and message won't work?

Will still work once powered on, until phone is restored.

=/

Still not giving up!!

Oh great! Thanks you Big Gig - There is hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Find my phone is very, very accurate. If you locate the house, send a remote message to your phone. If it was me I'd write something along these lines, "the windows on *address will cost a lot more to replace than this phone"

• Advertisement

Haha nice one naaasrd, but will it still be able to send a message if I've cancelled the sim?

Although as a very weak young lady I'm not sure I'd have the balls to send a text like that...

Also - http://www.myfoundcast.com/ - in my online searching I came across this website. Seems like a great idea - it's too late for me, but those of you with iphones may want to check it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭guil

find my phone won't work if the sim has being cancelled because it won't have a network connection

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Like guil said above, find my iPhone is no use to you if you have the sim canceled and the phone blacklisted.
    Anyone looking to use findmyiphone should hold off blocking the phone/sim until they have located the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Like guil said above, find my iPhone is no use to you if you have the sim canceled and the phone blacklisted.
    Anyone looking to use findmyiphone should hold off blocking the phone/sim until they have located the phone

You sure? How does it work on a non 3G iPad that can't connect to a mobile network at all?

kaizersoze wrote: »
    You sure? How does it work on a non 3G iPad that can't connect to a mobile network at all?

Won't it need wifi to work with no 3G?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭crossy

One of my mates one went missing a few weeks ago in town. icloud brought us right to the house it was in and the garda got it back for him

"Find My iPod touch enables you to locate your iPod touch only when it is on and connected to a registered Wi-Fi network."

Therefore findmyiphone needs an active data connection to work
    So having a passcode will not allow the thief to join a wifi network.
    In the case of having a passcode on the phone your best off not to cancel the phone(blacklist&cancel sim)

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/features/find-my-ipodtouch.html

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

A little late now but some good advice if you get another iphone maybe.

If you Jailbreak your iphone, you can download an app from cydia called 'iCaughtU', you can then set it to take a picture of the thief with the front camera and use the gps to find where it is aong with times and stuff everytime someone enters your unlock screen code wrong, the details will be sent to an email you pick.

The thief can't shut it off as it gets backed right into the springboard of the phone.

I lost my iPhone about six months ago.

The bloody thing found me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Joe10000 wrote: »
    I had a phone stolen one night and in the morning I rang into my Vmail to check messages and there was a message from a girl to some bloke asking him what the **** he wanted at this hour.

So... I rang O2 and asked for the last 5 dialed numbers from my phone, got the girls number and phoned her.

She said she got a call from her ex from a number she didn't recognise (mine) and called it back. I asked her for the guys name and address and she gave it to me.

Off I went to the Garda station with the details of my phone, my little story and the details of the "suspect".

I was told I did not have enough evidence and they can't be barging into people's homes. It was an adjoining parish and they said they would swing by and have a chat with him but there was not enough for a search warrant.

So OP I don't think "find my iPhone" will be much use to you unless you are going to take the law into your own hands.

Just goes to show how useless the Gardai are. Thats not lack of evidence, thats laziness.

A stolen phone, a record of the numbers dialed and from the point of the potential thief, how could they possibly explain how they dialed that number on your phone, at that time? Provided you could get swore testimony from the ex girlfriend, I'd be confident you could secure a conviction.

MORE than enough evidence to execute a warrant.

I'm normally level headed, but if I had that address, I'd be at the door with 10 mates, a few balaclava's and 5 litres of petrol. This type of nonsense has to stop. The reason all this thievery and sc*mbag-ness goes on is simply because the Gardai fail to act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

If i try findmyiphone when im at home (i live in an apartment block) the location given is always the other block of apartments,this isnt exactly any use to me really,is it?
    Ive tried it in several locations and all are quite a bit off in terms of an accurate location.

Grr! Why did I not know this information before I did all that.
    Gah, c'est la vie I suppose.... An expensive lesson well learned.

edit: only saw the next responses after I posted that. The guard I spoke to said they used the find my phone app with their phones and it kept putting them in a location far away from them, and they went to a house where someone's phone was telling them it was and they searched the house and found nothing, so it's not on the back of nothing that she said it was inaccurate.

I've a few friends on the case, it's times like these I wish Veronica Mars was real... Anyone know a good hacker? =P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Blikes wrote: »
    If you Jailbreak your iphone, you can download an app from cydia called 'iCaughtU', you can then set it to take a picture of the thief with the front camera and use the gps to find where it is aong with times and stuff everytime someone enters your unlock screen code wrong, the details will be sent to an email you pick.

The thief can't shut it off as it gets backed right into the springboard of the phone.

Cheers for that, I downloaded that this morning. Way handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Defo try iCloud

Was testing it a few mins ago and it found my phone in my office very accurately

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Tried iCloud myself while connected to 3G there but it was a good 100m off....

when connected to wi-fi it seems to be bang on though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Battleflag wrote: »
    Tried iCloud myself while connected to 3G there but it was a good 100m off....

when connected to wi-fi it seems to be bang on though

Apple keeps a record of what wireless systems your attached to or near, and logs the GPS location. Eventually iPhone users will map the world with wifi. Its most obvious if you have a Wifi iPad (Which has no GPS), it knows exactly bang on my house where it is when connected to Wifi.

I still can't believe though that Apple haven't password protected the iCloud section of settings, even the Find My iPhone section. Boggles the mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

http://preyproject.com/

http://vimeo.com/18728980

FREE

try this for iphone , laptops , desktops etc .

Really cool and fun to test .

Takes :
    photo
    opened programs
    gps location

prompts:
    alarm alert to thief .
    photo of thief
    gps location to thief
    possible ways to return

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Blikes wrote: »
    A little late now but some good advice if you get another iphone maybe.

Does the free version do all this? I just downloaded it, its displaying the alert but the photo doesnt get sent to my email. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Compo82

Left my iphone in a taxi on Sat night / sun morning. I tried ringing it just after I got out of the taxi and he had it turned off. Unfortunately, I didn't have track my iphone or the other apps mentioned here downloaded. Is there anything I can do? Or is it a lost cause? Still have 9 months left in my contract. :mad:

Advertisement