Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Networks

Options
  • 19-01-2004 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

Plz tell me someone out there knows a DEFINITE way of getting admin control on client pc's on a college network,our admin has disabled sound and graphics support on all our brand new pc's - thus turning them into rather poitnless terminals - plz help - its such a waste -= we just need to get sound working etc so admin control is needed badly - nothing evil is behind this request:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it can be done with a bit of fiddling, but you'll find most of the people here with such knowledge (myself included) would be or have been adm ins at some point and wouldn't give the info up that easily.

aside from the dubious nature of the request, the whole thing boils down to the admin in question being in chage of what happens on the pc's. if he's disabled the sound etc. he's done it for a reason. if you want things changed you'll have to ask him to do it. is he partial to bribery?

what do you think would happen if someone here wanted a way around something that had been put in place on boards? do you think anyone would help them do it? no i think not.

if you're really interested in the subject there are plenty of websites out there detailing the various methods of doing it, you just have to dig a bit to find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

and the easiest way is, ask the admin.

yada yada you need sound for an assignment (flash sound or some gimmick)

If you have to ask how to get admin access, the chances are you`ll get caught getting root on all teh box0rs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

i'll help you out all the way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Töpher

Ah yah, this particular guys, in all fairness, a bit of a bell-end.
    Long story cut short, students from other faculties played games on our Pc's during practicals and gave shít to the demonstrators, who complained to admin. He then blocked everyones ability to do anythign on our Pc's. Now even watching a movie trailer or listening to a cd is impossible. Well, the CD thing is workable, but still, its ridiculous! And cameras dont like watching ya take off pc covers! :) He actually refused to enable sound for our multimedia projects. Which, tbh, when it comes to that is a bit pathetic on his part, or I thought so anyways.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The problem is the gamers - if you can figure out a way to prevent a recurrance then you can ask for the rights. If you can't then the problem will reoccur and you don't want to be the one who made it possible...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Einstürzende, IIRC, you're in UCD?

What lab?

(Oh yeah, and eh, prolly best to move this to college play)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

U want to get admin access in W2k, there are a number of ways.

Get the SAM file and crack it e.g. John the ripper...

do a google im not explaining, tooooo long!!!!!

ERD Commander, has a password recovery program.

Theres also a way if the admin used auto complete on any given password field............I'll have to get back to you on this!!!!!!

Get yourself a Knopixx LiveCD distro, theres different versions, there is one with all the nessary tools to get admin.

The easiest would be a bit of social engineering on the admin, maybe ring him & say your a new lecture and cant get access........something like that, you know yourself.

Anyway good luck...

Thanks joePC

Originally posted by seamus
    Einstürzende, IIRC, you're in UCD?

What lab?

(Oh yeah, and eh, prolly best to move this to college play)

Yah, UCD for me :( Lol. Seems like the entire 1-3rd yr labs in the COmp Sci building have all this shít applied. Horrible! Can't do shít anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Originally posted by joePC
    Get the SAM file and crack it e.g. John the ripper...
    you'll be looking for the 'SAN' file, or you won't get anywhere. (if you're lookinng for it) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Fionnan

There are new TCD comps in St. James Hosp with cd burners. Only problem is they don'y have cd formatting software for the CDRW drive(lite-on) and admin won't let u install new programs, though if one starts the comps in safe mode with networking it is possible to burn cds, but u have to format them correctly on another comp :) Unfortnately my home comp won't format them right so the college drives says my blank discs r full, even without any files on em(and they r CDRW). Anyway round this?
    The CD RWs are btw Lite-On LTC-48161h
    And the really infuriating thing is that the comps have ZIP drives for large files even though most people don'y have em at home. GRRRR

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Originally posted by Einstürzende
    Yah, UCD for me :( Lol. Seems like the entire 1-3rd yr labs in the COmp Sci building have all this shít applied. Horrible! Can't do shít anywhere!

<evil voice> seamus is on to yooooou. </evil voice>

*high pitched squeal*

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Arse, I wrote a massive reply to this and the network crashed and took down Mozilla just as I finished :(

Einstürzende, games have been rife in CS. There used to always be 8-9 chinese students last year who would spend all day in the 3rd year lab playing games, despite not being in our course. The fact that there wasn't enough comps even for us, meant that people had to complain about it, and it was brought to the sys admin's attention. I assume he just took the next logical action after further complaints.

We get a few complaints a day about people playing games in the new lab downstairs in Science. Most people including myself, have no problems with games, but if the room is even remotely full, and people have work to do, then pricking about playing CS and MOHAA with your mates isn't on (not saying you do this, just saying why it has to be shut down - another case of a few idiots ruining it for everyone). That's what home machines are for.

Go to the head of Computer Science, explain that you need sound for multimedia projects, newsfeeds, etc. You won't be able to convince them to turn graphics acceleration back on, there's no need for it.

Chances are they're only locked out at the OS level btw. Ask a 3rd or 4th year if they know the Admin password. Then re-enable the sound and log back in as yourself. Don't log in as Administrator for general computer use. You'll be caught and whipped ;)

You could also log into Linux, and use the sound and graphics from there.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭uberwolf

windows is full of holes. google search for what you want to do. They stopped us locking our machines in de 4th yr lab, within 20 mins all of us had figured out a way around it.

no bother boss.

LOL :) Yeah, we can nay lock machines either, not tried fixing that one tho. May be worth a shot tho. Unfortunately anything we try results in an adminsitration error of some shape or sort. Kinda annoying! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

This thread is more suited to the College board. Plenty of ways of getting around the protection have been posted. I'd personally recommend talking to your admin in a calm and reasonable way even if you can't stand the guy.

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement