Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Teacher going to USA

• 09-10-2015 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    My fiance is a qualified Irish teacher (no other subjects) and will be joining me in THE USA soon. She has taught English for 7-8 years but has no qualifications in the subject.
    Is there anything she can teach in USA?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Wexford96 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    My fiance is a qualified Irish teacher (no other subjects) and will be joining me in THE USA soon. She has taught English for 7-8 years but has no qualifications in the subject.
    Is there anything she can teach in USA?
    Thanks.

Assuming 'Irish teacher (no other subjects)' is 'teacher of Irish' the Fulbright scholarships for Irish language teachers may be of interest to her; the deadline is the end of this month and it will obviously look decent on the cv.

Aside from that, her options depend upon where she'll be living; if in an area with a large Irish/Irish-American community her options will naturally be greater. I'd contact the American Conference for Irish Studies and they might be able to link her up with a college. If I were going to the States I'd focus on the many universities which have an Irish Studies' department. At some stage, I'd link up with the local GAA or Conradh/Irish language group and make a name for myself giving classes. Perhaps also follow up this link on Daltai.com, where she could put her name on the "Join our teachers' list" section (The Daltai.com website has been going strong for about 20 years so would be worth perhaps emailing whoever is in charge).

The definitive list of Irish Studies programs: United States and Canada

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Wexford96

Wow gaiscaioch, thanks so much for that comprehensive answer. extremely helpful of you. Good luck to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Wexford96

We have also checked out these praxis exams. Though she hasn't got English Lit in degree, it appears she can just do a 4 hour knowledge test in english literature and then be given a license to teach that subject.
    http://www.praxis-exams.com/massachusetts-praxis.php

Advertisement