Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing witnesses last minute (registry office wedding)

Options
  • 06-10-2015 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

I keep reading/hearing conflicting info on this so hopefully someone here has recent experience of this.

We're hopefully getting married in January-February 2016 in Limerick City registry office. We're going in to do the paper work later this week which of course involves giving the names of two witnesses.

We want it to be as low key as is humanly possible and if at all possible we'd like to have either two randomers we've grabbed in the registry office/nearby or two work colleagues or friends who we ask at the last minute (so they don't have a chance to make a fuss!)

Is it possible to give two names on the initial paperwork for giving three months notice and then change it either on the day or even in the week before the ceremony?

I've read in previous threads that its fine to change them on the day and then I've heard conflicting advice elsewhere! So a tad confused!

Has anyone had recent experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

It's okay to change on the day. My best man was late to my wedding last year and the registrar had no problem in changing it at the ceremony. They may ask for ID from the new witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Thanks Darren, that's reassuring to hear! I hadn't actually considered the ID side of things, something else to keep in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We changed on the day too. It just took a minute to change the names and I'm almost certain there was no ID involved. We got married in the office with our parents. You'll have a quick meeting with the registrar just before the ceremony to make sure everything with the forms is correct and then you can make the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

My new witness didn't need ID in the end but it is something to keep in mind as the registrar needs to verify the witness is over 18 (I think it's 18) but luckily my brother in law looks old :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I never thought about witness ID. It wasn't in the details we were given by the registry office, so I presume they don't check that the person you say is signing is ACTUALLY that person! As long as they look over 18.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone. Looks like I've been worrying about nothing as usual. I'll double check when I go in to give the 3 months notice and show birth certs etc.

I'll stick down a few family members names whose birthdays I remember for the initial paperwork :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Only went through this process last week! The lady in Limerick Reg office said you can change the witnesses on the day provided they are both 18 and they have ID.

cronin_j wrote: »
    Only went through this process last week! The lady in Limerick Reg office said you can change the witnesses on the day provided they are both 18 and they have ID.

But you don't need ID for original witnesses? :confused:

Malari wrote: »
    But you don't need ID for original witnesses? :confused:

Yep, they need to bring ID with them on the day.

Yep, they need to bring ID with them on the day.

Ha! Must go look through my documents again :pac: And remind them on the day ;)

• Advertisement

Malari wrote: »
    Ha! Must go look through my documents again :pac: And remind them on the day ;)

Ya the lady told us they had to have them. She told us they made a mistake once and did check and the marriage was null and void as one of the witnesses turned out to be 17 and the fall out from that had her checking the whole time.

Ya the lady told us they had to have them. She told us they made a mistake once and did check and the marriage was null and void as one of the witnesses turned out to be 17 and the fall out from that had her checking the whole time.

Ah, our witnesses are old :D:D Not that I'll be saying that to their faces, but I'll ask them to bring ID anyway, just in case.

Thanks for all your help everyone. Just confirmed it all with the registrar today! Note this is for a civil marriage in a registry office.

You can change witnesses on the day but they should bring ID with them. This is just to completely cover things incase a witness is under 18 etc.

If you keep the original witnesses you put down on the initial marriage registration form where you submit their dates of birth etc they probably won't need ID as you've signed the document stating their names and dates of births. Its probably no harm for them to bring a drivers license or something just in case though, especially if they look young.

Advertisement