Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anniversary present

Options
  • 01-07-2015 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

Not entirely sure if this is the right place to post this, but any advice on the following would be greatly appreciated!

It's my parents 40th wedding anniversary this weekend - we, as in my brothers and sisters, are taking them out for a fancy meal, but we are all agreed it would be nice to give them something as a gift also - nothing extravagant, but perhaps something approx 100 - 150 Euros between us.

Just wondering has anyone here given similar presents to parents, and what they went for, etc.

Thanks folks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It depends a lot on your parents. Are they the kind of people who would be delighted to receive a gift of something to stand on a shelf and be ornamental, or are they mad about their garden and would love something for that, or would they like a weekend break somewhere, or do they have a shared hobby? Would they appreciate something like photographs of the family (I cannot understand the love of photos around the place, but I think I am an exception :) ).

A bit more information would be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

If it were for me then I'd truly appreciate a pre-theatre dinner in the Trocadero and tickets to the National Concert Hall to see Ladysmith Black Mambazo tomorrow. Ladysmith may not be to every ones taste but the NCH have a wide and varied playbill.
    At your parents age they (most likely) have all the toys and gadgets they need, have a room full of memories already and are probably just praying for the days that they get without grandkids. :)
    Give 'em something just for the two or them, a night out doing something they enjoy but might not do on a regular basis. As I say for me that would be the Troc and a concert. For others it could be a night away in a hotel in Galway. It could be renting a vintage car for the day and letting them escape in it.
    Make it something frivolous rather than overly sentimental. We have enough of that stuff already.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I've never received an anniversary present. But I do enjoy a good meal out in a suitable restaurant for me. I hate noisy restaurants, or dark restaurants or restaurants that do not offer special dietary options. Theatre would be good too. I think a weekend away would be another nice gift. My almost 90 yr old relative is often brought away for short breaks by her family, and she loves it. I really don't want any more stuff to put in a glass case or on a mantelpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

+1 on the ornament/something for the house ban. Remember your the ones that will eventually have to get rid of all the cr** in the house :D
    I'd love a meal,hotel,experience type of gift. Love OldGoat's idea of renting a vintage car for the day.
    Friends of mine bought their parents a tablet (the electronic type) and it was a great success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Are you in Dublin? Often thought it would be nice to take one of those horse & carriage rides round St. Stephen's Green, or a trip on a steam train would be fab. Someone once suggested a balloon ride for an anniversary present......no thanks........unless your parents have an adventurous streak!

• Advertisement
Advertisement