Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a network?

Options
  • 19-01-2004 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

a home pc, connect to the internet via a broadband connection, does this machine have a static ip address, and if it does, is it considered to be part of a network?

and if it is part of a network is it prone to all the same attacks that a more traditional network (i.e.i that of a business nature or college) is prone to.

attacks such as Denial of service, etc......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

why don't plp research..................?

OK

1. Your PC & BB connection donesn't have a static IP address unless you bought one from Eircom.

2. Network: When you connect to the internet you are on the biggest network in the world The i n t e r n e t.......

3. if you are using BB then you are more likly to get attacked, mostly script kiddies doing IP scans.......get yourself a firewall if you dont already have one e.g. Zonealarm is free but not the best.....

As for DOS attacks I would worrie why would someone dos attack a home PC "Waste of time"..........

Just install a firewall, update your OS with all the nessary patches and you should be OK.

Thanks joePC

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A home PC is more likely to be zombied into doing a DOS attack then to be attacked.

If you are so worried about security how about an air gap firewall, recommend you remove your HDD and boot up from a Knoppix Boot CD to be on the safe side.
    (after removing all perhipherals , modems and wifi and infra red of course)

Advertisement