Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Got made reduntant today-what to do now

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Specialun wrote: »
    Well as title suggest..myself and 40 others , some on contract..no doubt there be nothing on news about it

Not feeling too bad at moment..perhaps it hasnot dawned on me

Do i take a few days off- or drive straight into job hunting..has it happened to you

Cheer me up AH folk

Job market is noticably improving OP (anecdotally people I know who are jobhunting have been getting more job offers and interviews than at any point in the last few years) - take some time off and get your head together, then dive back into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This kind of attitude pisses me off. What makes you think they don't like paying arrears? The money isn't coming out of their pockets so why would they give a toss? Any excuse to have a snipe at PS workers.

He has a point to be fair..

I was laid off in late 2009 and went to sign on in the office in first month as per the card I got through the door. First time being unemployed so I hadn't a clue as to the procedure so I figured I'd go in early on the Monday and get it over with (card said something like "you must present to the local office this week")

Turns up anyway and when I get to the booth, the woman behind the counter tells me that I have to come back on Wednesday instead. I points out that it says on the card to show up between Monday and Friday so here I am. "Those cards are issued from Drogheda (or maybe Dundalk)" she says. "We do it on Wednesday's here" - even though the place was practically empty.

Pointed out to her that I drove 30 mins to get here (was living in Cavan at the time) and running back n forth and paying for parking wasn't exactly cheap in my current circumstances. Made her get her boss, explained it to him and in fairness he signed me on - all while yer one was busy telling other obvious "noobs" that they'd have to feck off and come back as well!

Then there was the local Community Welfare Officer who was even worse when it came to getting rent allowance sorted.

Disgrace of a system.. Made to feel like a scumbag/waster for "daring" to claim from a system you've paid into for years but get very little back from, and it's assumed that you should just know these things like the actual wasters who have no intention of ever working!

Oh and this isn't a pop at public sector workers.. Until that time I'd been one myself for 5 years!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Life is too short for all this working chill out for a while, maybe travel a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Dutch Gold seems to be the most popular brand of beer for scroungers these days. Sure whats the point in working at all when ya can get rewarded more for being a complete waste of space with 7 or 8 illegitimate sprogs. Ireland really is a great country

Sheep Lovers attitude towards life is quite refreshing indeed. Sure at the end of the day, "Ya can bate the wife but ya cant bate the craic"

Basicly OP you should take a leaf out of this guys book

http://img.ffffound.com/static-data/assets/6/e32b88aead4d17322711e0127601c4d0055cde6b_m.jpg

The laid back lifestyle certainly didnt do Onslow any harm(or good for that matter)
    Illegitimate children? Are you living in the 80s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

3 weeks still to go you say?

First develop a cold so you can stay home with an excuse those 3 weeks.
    Or use some other excuse. But stay home

**** them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Look at springboard.ie

There are a load of courses that you can do for free if you feel like you might like to change career or upskill

I definitely wouldn't rush out and grab 'anything' just for the sake of it. It's easy to get sucked into a soul destroying job and not only waste years of your life, but lose valuable skills and contacts making escape more difficult

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

PucaMama wrote: »
    Illegitimate children? Are you living in the 80s?

And are you living in cloud cuckoo land or something? If you hadnt noticed previously, well then "technically" bastard children do still exist although the general view on the topic from society has become a lot more relaxed than it once was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

And are you living in cloud cuckoo land or something? If you hadnt noticed previously, well then "technically" bastard children do still exist although the general view on the topic from society has become a lot more relaxed than it once was

Jaysus lads, we are supposed to be cheering up the OP here....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

This kind of attitude pisses me off. What makes you think they don't like paying arrears? The money isn't coming out of their pockets so why would they give a toss? Any excuse to have a snipe at PS workers.

The advice is right though OP, straight in to make an appointment to sign on for your Jobseekers Benefit.

What makes me think it?? I was told it in no uncertain terms when I was trying to sign on a year or so ago. I had left it until all my documents had arrived in the post and then went to make a claim. I was quizzed on why it took so long (two weeks) for me to come in and that he might not process my claim for back payment. When I explained my reasoning for the delay he said he'd "let me away with it this time" (as if he was giving me the money out of his own pocket). I was told that in future if I was making a claim to go in and let them know whether or not I had received my P45.

However maybe it was just a dick that was on that day. One fella in front of me missed his sign on time (he was a first time claimant) by an hour. He wouldn't process him and told him to come back the following week leaving him cashless. I was shocked by his intransigence and lack of compassion. Poor man was almost in tears leaving.

• Advertisement

Jaysus lads, we are supposed to be cheering up the OP here....

I was responding to some idiot who decided to mount their high horse and call me out on the fact I mentioned the term "illegitimate children" in a previous post originally intended to cheer the OP up. Apparently in the modern world youre even not allowed to use that term even as a joke.

i dont live in a land where i consider children second class citizens for being born outside marriage...do you?

edit: dont call me an idiot for pulling you up on it either

i dont live in a land where i consider children second class citizens for being born outside marriage...do you?

edit: dont call me an idiot for pulling you up on it either

I dont consider children second class citizens for being born outside of marriage far from it but I dont apologise for using the term in a light hearted manner which means we are at a stalemate. So what is the way forward now? Should I be burned at the stake?

It is called after hours at the end of the day where humour is normally required. I think youve wandered astray here somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Look on the bright side OP http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94280737&postcount=52

At least you don't have to handle it any more

I dont consider children second class citizens for being born outside of marriage far from it but I dont apologise for using the term in a light hearted manner which means we are at a stalemate. So what is the way forward now? Should I be burned at the stake?

It is called after hours at the end of the day where humour is normally required. I think youve wandered astray here somehow.

bit dramatic no? :rolleyes:

bit dramatic no? :rolleyes:

And your initial reaction to my post barging in like mouth almighty wasnt dramatic and in the context of the thread unnecessary? :rolleyes:

Well I give up

• Advertisement

And your initial reaction to my post barging in like mouth almighty wasnt dramatic and in the context of the thread unnecessary? :rolleyes:

Well I give up
    no, it wasnt. i wanted you to explain why you choose to call children born outside marriage "illegitimate". do you think its funny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

Hope you remembered to have a whizz in the kettle before you left :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

no, it wasnt. i wanted you to explain why you choose to call children born outside marriage "illegitimate". do you think its funny?

Somebody has illegitimate children, don't they? :pac:

Does a bear shiit in the woods?

Anyway who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

I thought some lad got laid off so why am I reading about illegitimate (or not) children am I in the wrong thread?

Why did you get laid off, what were the official reasons? Role Elimination or some other fancy buzz word for redundancy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    I thought some lad got laid off so why am I reading about illegitimate (or not) children am I in the wrong thread?

Why did you get laid off, what were the official reasons? Role Elimination or some other fancy buzz word for redundancy

I reckon I could guess the company and trust me OP you are better off

Wompa1 wrote: »
    no, they dont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Hopefully you'll get a redundancy package, depending on how long you're in the job and your current salary, this could be a sizeable sum.

So, if you get some money, enjoy it and try not to get too stressed.

Take some time out to think about what your next move should be.

Definitely take a trip to the Social Welfare office.

If you're not already on Linkedin, set up an account and reconnect with old and new contacts and friends. You never know, they could know about vacancies.

Get on the job sites.

When you get a job, you can treat yourself to something nice out of your redundancy payout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

boobar wrote: »
    Hopefully you'll get a redundancy package, depending on how long you're in the job and your current salary, this could be a sizeable sum.

He's legally entitled to redundancy: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/redundancy/redundancy_payments.html - as long as he's been there at least a couple of years. This would also apply if the place closed down entirely.

If the company can't pay it he can get it from the Government, with an attendant six month wait, of course.

Wompa1 wrote: »

Or worse still perhaps they were an illegitimate child themselves :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Get the basics sorted OP; welfare, allowances, redundancy, p45, employer's references etc. don't stress and take a week to just relax and enjoy the free time before updating the CV and getting cracking. Don't fall into a slump and make sure you treat job hunting as if it were a job.

any more personal insults to throw around? no child is "illegitimate"

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Got made reduntant today-what to do now

Await the arrival of the judgemental right-wing brigade, who'll incorrectly prejudge you as a waistral & parasite now that you've become unemployed.

Btw, good luck with the job hunting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

What makes me think it?? I was told it in no uncertain terms when I was trying to sign on a year or so ago. I had left it until all my documents had arrived in the post and then went to make a claim. I was quizzed on why it took so long (two weeks) for me to come in and that he might not process my claim for back payment. When I explained my reasoning for the delay he said he'd "let me away with it this time" (as if he was giving me the money out of his own pocket). I was told that in future if I was making a claim to go in and let them know whether or not I had received my P45.

However maybe it was just a dick that was on that day. One fella in front of me missed his sign on time (he was a first time claimant) by an hour. He wouldn't process him and told him to come back the following week leaving him cashless. I was shocked by his intransigence and lack of compassion. Poor man was almost in tears leaving.

Fair enough you had a bad experience. But that's akin to me telling someone not to shop in Lidl because the cashier operator was rude to me one Tuesday evening in Nenagh.

You dealt with what sounds to have been a complete dickhead. But I worked in 2 different dole offices over 4 years and would never have treated people like that and if I had heard any of the staff doing it - and I never did - I'd have pulled them up on it. It only takes one asshole like him to give the rest of us a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

How ye got onto the topic of legimate sprogs is beyond me.

Had a productive day i think

Had a rare lie in until after 11... Im a tubby git but said i would go for a jogfor 20 mins to freshen up the cheann..had lunch then sorted my linkedin and had a few chats to recruitment geezers..oh then made pancakes..yum yum

The mrs is kinda annoying me though..keeps on about cutting back etc..bit early for that

• Advertisement

How ye got onto the topic of legimate sprogs is beyond me.

Had a productive day i think

Had a rare lie in until after 11... Im a tubby git but said i would go for a job for 20 mins to freshen up the cheann..had lunch then sorted my linkedin and had a few chats to recruitment geezers..oh then made pancakes..yum yum

The mrs is kinda annoying me though..keeps on about cutting back etc..bit early for that

Sounds like a tough day. Ring the missus from the bedroom in the morning, tell her your not feeling well and have a duvet day.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

The concept of illegitimacy, as a legal status,was abolished in Ireland several decades ago...but judging by your posts, there's still a few bastards about ....( tee-hee, just joshing! smiley face)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Well as title suggest..myself and 40 others , some on contract..no doubt there be nothing on news about it

Not feeling too bad at moment..perhaps it hasnot dawned on me

Do i take a few days off- or drive straight into job hunting..has it happened to you

Cheer me up AH folk

I'd do the whole 12 or so job applications a week, over three sessions in the internet café.

I'd then start reading books and shopping in lidl, and reading the paper in cafés and watching box sets... also do the odd afternoon making use of the library facilities.

I'd see if there were any courses on the go in whatever they call fas nowadays

Advertisement