Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got made reduntant today-what to do now

Options
  • 18-02-2015 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭

Well as title suggest..myself and 40 others , some on contract..no doubt there be nothing on news about it

Not feeling too bad at moment..perhaps it hasnot dawned on me

Do i take a few days off- or drive straight into job hunting..has it happened to you

Cheer me up AH folk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

You lucky bastard!
    Take some time off, enjoy it. Cheltenham is coming up.

Then get your head together and then go job hunting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Drink ten cans and have a w*nk, release the pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,502 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Start looking for work immediately imo. A lot of competition out there right now for jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Get shacked up with the town slut, have six kids, develop a habit for cheap lager and domestic violence, get a white vest and tattoo your arms with that hideous blue ink they use?

You know, the scrounger lifestyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Dive right in. There will be others looking for that new job too. Don't let them beat you to it.

I hope you get sorted soon .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Sorry to hear that man.

Do something you enjoy while you are searching for something else.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

If you get severance pay. Enjoy yourself for a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Straight to the social office tomorrow. Get signed on. It'll be three days before they start paying you. You paid your prsi so claim what you are entitled to.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I'd recommend the Partridge meltdown

1) Shoes off

2) Load the car with Toblerone

3) Drive to Dundee

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Start a political career... Need **** all skills for that, its helps to be self centred and a straight faced liar ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

If you are due a few bob, do something you've always wanted with it, how often in life do you get a bit of cash and a load of free time?

If it happened to me Id go climb a mountain somewhere....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Sign on immediately even if it's only for the credits. If you're not already on jobs.ie, monster, linkedin etc - joinup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

You lucky bastard!
    Take some time off, enjoy it. Cheltenham is coming up.

Then get your head together and then go job hunting.

Charge in on faugheen you say...sounds like a plan

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Specialun wrote: »
    Charge in on faugheen you say...sounds like a plan

:)

Bet the whole fckin lot on the number 3 horse in the Gold cup. Sure what can go wrong?

Cant sign on as offically im not finished for three weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Do a job bridge as a butchers assistant.

KungPao wrote: »
    Do a job bridge as a butchers assistant.

Would ya get free sausages and blackpudding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Specialun wrote: »
    Would ya get free sausages and blackpudding

No but if you're a slow learner you get a cool nickname like "Eight Fingers"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Straight to the social office tomorrow. Get signed on. It'll be three days before they start paying you. You paid your psi so claim what you are entitled to.

Its happened to me too so I'm sorry to hear - I know what it feels like. The above is good advice - The social welfare office are never too pleased about having to make back payments so get this sorted as soon as you can. The experience of setting foot in those filthy kips of offices will spur you into getting a job fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Sorry to hear.

Take a week then start a dvd bootlegging business, I think there's still a market for that.

Or find a horse and develop it into a prize champion.

• Advertisement

View this as an opportunity. Hopefully you will get a decent redundancy payment in the weeks ahead.
    Start putting out your resume immediately and try to get another job. If you can get a job before the redundancy runs out, delay the start date so you can do something mad with the extra cash left.
    It's not the same as in the recession, there are jobs out there. If your situation allows it, you could look for work abroad and use the redundancy to set yourself up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

eternal wrote: »
    Drink ten cans and have a w*nk, release the pressure.
    This.

Then get your head and together and go job hunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Beer, long walks, hobbies and TV. Work can wait. You're "redundant" - act redundant for a bit and enjoy it. Redundant can be fun. There'll always be more work. Have some play.

Boogie nights is in..perfect film for occasion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Firstly don't worry. I have been sacked, made redundant or whatever three times, each time I have **** myself.
    In 6 months you will look back and know it was for the best.

Probably should have left anyway if the company is in such a bad state.

My main advice is to weigh up the job offers carefully, we are tempted to jump on the first one that comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

AmberGold wrote: »
    Firstly don't worry. I have been sacked, made redundant or whatever three times, each time I have **** myself.
    In 6 months you will look back and know it was for the best.

Probably should have left anyway if the company is in such a bad state.

My main advice is to weigh up the job offers carefully, we are tempted to jump on the first one that comes along.

Yes to this. remember that 6 months part!! So enjoy what you got while at the same time looking for a new job. Spend an hour or 2 in the morning/afternoon sending in applications, then pack up the laptop and head out for a walk/swim etc. you'll be back in work before you know it.

Don't be afraid of getting professional tips and help towards your CV and interview skills. You'd be surprised how much they can help. Put you ahead of possy. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Get shacked up with the town slut, have six kids, develop a habit for cheap lager and domestic violence, get a white vest and tattoo your arms with that hideous blue ink they use?

You know, the scrounger lifestyle.

Get used to posts like this OP. And feel guilty if you've ever thanked a post like this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Start looking for a job right away. There's a load of those b@stard water meter scabs being let go this week too. Get in before them.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

what is your line of work OP? The last time I was given the heave-ho was in 2001, I have been working for myself since barr one 3 month contract in an office job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

Get your ex boss's wife pregnant - with triplets.

Advertisement