Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You can go 15 years back in time and give yourself one bit of advice. What is it?

• 29-01-2015 6:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭

I think mine is fairly easy for me.

"Buy Apple shares!"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

"Dont put the pussy on a pedestal"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Create facebook and Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

I'd say "chill out kid, in 15 years time you're going to invent a time machine and it'll be gravy from them on"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

PULL OUT!!!!!

(not really, i love my little mistake!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

wear sunscreen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Macker2001

Encourage my mam to get a colonoscopy

Only 15?

Too late. Dammit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Do your Irish homework or you'll get detention.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭Dep!

smash wrote: »
    Create facebook and Twitter

Not as straightforward as it would seem.

You could tell him or her to "create" anything. Facebook. Twitter. Even Google. But then how would they go about it? All of these three companies were a result of knowledge and determination, finances already in place etc. Too many variables. The main one your past self wont have is the knowledge of how to do it because your current one doesnt.

Nah, I say tell yourself to simply invest in all three at their earliest stages and sit back and reap the rewards ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Joe now that you've gone back 15 years in time

Sell your Eircom Shares now................... N O W

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

PULL OUT!!!!!

(not really, i love my little mistake!)

Before "The One" comes knocking? :rolleyes:

Magnate wrote: »

:confused:

eh?

Dep! wrote: »
    The main one your past self wont have is the knowledge of how to do it because your current one doesnt.

And that's where you're completely wrong! :)

In 1999 myself 2 friends created a mini social network that accepted photos through an mms gateway. We decided not to peruse it because hardly anyone had phones with cameras and those who did wouldn't have paid the 25c per mms. Especially when the quality was utterly crap. After that we fell out of touch so couldn't relaunch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Don't let her get away.......

I got 7 years over that fiasco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't eat the yellow snow

ahh! :D

i thought you were the catholic institute for a minute there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

UK garage, enjoy it while it lasts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Just because that boss has a mad sense of humour doesn't mean you'll always be laughing. Get back to where you really wanted to be instead and dig yourself in.

• Advertisement

And that's where you're completely wrong! :)

In 1999 myself 2 friends created a mini social network that accepted photos through an mms gateway. We decided not to peruse it because hardly anyone had phones with cameras and those who did wouldn't have paid the 25c per mms. Especially when the quality was utterly crap. After that we fell out of touch so couldn't relaunch it.

So your company could have been Facebook?

Really? :)

Then how come Bebo and Myspace arent worth the $200 billion Facebook is?

No the only way Id see making money out of Facebook in a time travel scenario is to go to Harvard around June 2003, a few months before Zuckerberg invents it and have half a million to invest in it with him. You've earned this cash from your Apple shares for the sake of this scenario. You also have a very good lawyer present during the whole process as Zuckerberg screwed over his early partners.

Then you find a ten year old Justin Bieber and with your new found wealth pay him a million dollars to sign a legally binding contract to never enter the music business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Carbs are not your friend. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Study more in school

Save more in jobs etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

15 years ago is too late :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Don't come to work drunk. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'd obviously give him that sports almanac that I stole off that pipsqueak McFly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'd give me a sports almanac and go all paradox Biff on the next 15 years. Also I'd kill Obama before he could get elected.

Beaten by 2 seconds what are the odds ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Bollix to all the company mallarky. I'd bring a fistful of winning euro million lottery numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

"You're only nine years old, you could probably get away pretty lightly with murdering a few of them, go on, do it! You'll regret it if you don't :) "

Eh... I'm only joking, of course

• Advertisement

Also I'd kill Obama before he could get elected.

:eek:

Ladies and Gentlemen. We are in the first After Hours thread to get flagged by the CIA.

Zulu wrote: »
    Bollix to all the company mallarky. I'd bring a fistful of winning euro million lottery numbers.

I think this may be the best one for financial gain in hindsight.

So your company could have been Facebook?

Really? :)

Then how come Bebo and Myspace arent worth the $200 billion Facebook is?
    no I'm saying I had the means to do it. The other sites you mentioned sold for a lot, then went to shít because they allowed users to modify the platform.

Anyone could have done it but he was in the right place at the right time. I'm saying if I could go back, I'd have done it how he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Argue with the parents more about the secondary school I was made go to, put your foot down, the place isn't good enough.

I argued my case before, during and even after my time in the kip, all the good it done me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Relax. Stop worrying so much about the future.
    And don't have that fling. You know the one I'm talking about. Just don't go there.

no I'm saying I had the means to do it. The other sites you mentioned sold for a lot, then went to shít because they allowed users to modify the platform.

Anyone could have done it but he was in the right place at the right time. I'm saying if I could go back, I'd have done it how he did.

And then how do you get people like Sean Parker and the founder of Paypal interested?

And how could "anyone have done it" with a company now worth more than some country's GDP?

I dont think you've thought this through. No time machine for you Im afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Buy Apple shares, all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Brian2208

I wish I could just go back 15 minutes and not watch that video on Facebook I just watched

Scarred for life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

wear proper personal protection equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

I think mine is fairly easy for me.

"Buy Apple shares!"

15 years ago? No regrets.

6 years ago? Buy Bitcoins when you're told to, you dozy effing cow :mad: Ah well. Probably wouldn't have sold them at the right time either :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Kill jedward

• Advertisement

And then how do you get people like Sean Parker and the founder of Paypal interested?

And how could "anyone have done it" with a company now worth more than some country's GDP?

I dont think you've thought this through. No time machine for you Im afraid.

Sean Parker got involved after it was created. The funding all came after it was launched! So just feck off, your just irritating now. The thread is what you'd do if you could go back 15 years. If you don't like what someone would do then keep your opinions to yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Health checks. Get a yearly 'NCT' done on your body.

15 years ago I had already made all the mistakes I was going to make in life. So I would have just told myself to keep doing what am doing and not to forget to take the meds.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I'd obviously give him that sports almanac that I stole off that pipsqueak McFly.

1999 Champions League Final. 90th Minute:

"Listen butthead. I bet you a million bucks Man Utd will score 2 goals in the next 2 minutes"

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

Nothing.. Not because I'm so great but because I don't think 2 year old me would have listened

Sean Parker got involved after it was created. The funding all came after it was launched! So just feck off, your just irritating now. The thread is what you'd do if you could go back 15 years. If you don't like what someone would do then keep your opinions to yourself.

Ahahaha. Seriously? :)

You're going to invent Facebook all without the circumstances that Zuckerberg had? Harvard. His circle of programming friends. The likes of Eduardo Saverinand and others who helped build it with Zuckerberg?

You are living in a feckin' fantasy land if you think you could do Facebook with your own knowledge. And this is a fantasy thread to begin with!

This is you tbh http://cdn.sheknows.com/articles/spoiled-girl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

I'd give me a sports almanac and go all paradox Biff on the next 15 years. Also I'd kill Obama before he could get elected.

Beaten by 2 seconds what are the odds ;)

Enjoy your time on the Watch List.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Work harder in school and college. I am paying for it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

all of the things you are most frightened of will come true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

Win the lottery live for five glorious years. Tenth anniversary of my death. Time flies. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement