Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for a windows based json validator

Options
  • 11-03-2014 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have quite a large json file which Python is spitting a dummy at with a bunch of errors which some research suggests maybe linked to invalidly formated json data. It's not impossible because I didn't generate the file myself.

Most of the json validators that I can, at this point, lay my hands on are browser based and notepad++ has thrown a small fit at copy pasta of the data as the file is substantial. So a piece of client software would be useful.

I can seemingly lay my hands on such an item for Linux but my only Linux machine right now is a Raspberry Pi B and the file is such that I suspect I'd probably be waiting a while for some output.

Can anyone recommend a Windows based json validator please?

Thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Calina wrote: »
    I can seemingly lay my hands on such an item for Linux but my only Linux machine right now is a Raspberry Pi B and the file is such that I suspect I'd probably be waiting a while for some output.

Getting a virtual image (virtual box is fine) up and running will solve this (and has the added benefit of being handy for those dozen other times there is software you need that is *nix based)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

How big is big?

I haven't tried it but have a look at this http://jsonviewer.codeplex.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

EditPadPro is the best Windows JSON reader I could find after a long search. Deals with any large files I threw at it and shows errors. Fantastic and underated text editor as well. The regex search is the best I've ever come across.

PHPStorm or any intellij IDEA program is good as well though it can take a lot of time with big JSON files.

A lot of the time, I can't find equivalent Windows stuff for handy Linux command line tools so I just use cygwin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

HI,

file is 370kB.

It transpires that there's a JSON plug in for Notepad++ itself which I didn't have so I've installed it and it tells me there is a formatting error in the data.

Conor - tend to agree with the installation of virtualbox tbh. I haven't done it yet but I will - I'm leaning towards Mint for that.

regards and thank you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

It it possible for you to post the file or is it sensitive data?

• Advertisement

It it possible for you to post the file or is it sensitive data?

TBH, it's a side project so it's not really urgent at this point. I will probably look at it in more detail at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

There are at least two notepad++ json plug-ins, JSMin and JSON Viewer.

370KB is no way near too big for notepad++; I don't find problems with file size in notepad++ until it's 100's of MB. It must be your OS or hardware that is struggling.

I use EditPadLite for files too large for notepad++, buy I'm not sure if it has JSON (formatting / validation) support; I only use it to view very larger log files.

georgiecasey says the Pro version does support JSON; I think the trial version is close to full functionality, but I'm not sure.

There are at least two notepad++ json plug-ins, JSMin and JSON Viewer.

370KB is no way near too big for notepad++; I don't find problems with file size in notepad++ until it's 100's of MB. It must be your OS or hardware that is struggling.

I use EditPadLite for files too large for notepad++, buy I'm not sure if it has JSON (formatting / validation) support; I only use it to view very larger log files.

georgiecasey says the Pro version does support JSON; I think the trial version is close to full functionality, but I'm not sure.

Wasn't that it was too big for Notepad++ only that it spat me out when I tried to copy paste it into an online json validator. It reads the file okay. JSON Viewer says it does have invalid data in it somewhere though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Calina wrote: »
    Wasn't that it was too big for Notepad++ only that it spat me out when I tried to copy paste it into an online json validator. It reads the file okay. JSON Viewer says it does have invalid data in it somewhere though.

Try the JSMin plugin instead.

{
    "employees": [
    { "firstName":"John" , "lastName":"Doe" },
    { "firstName":"Anna" , "lastName":"Smith" },
    { "firstName":"Peter" , "lastName":"Jones" }
    ]
    }

JSON viewer gives me an error with that simple example too, JSMin does not.

Advertisement