Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PeaCoat

Options
  • 30-01-2014 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭

Lads, Ive looked around my own small town and cant seem to find a decent peacoat anywhere. Plenty of crap ones for 30 and 40 euros but I was hoping to get something half decent.

Can anyone recommend any good peacoat makers/brands and I'll just buy online or get a shop to order it in specifically.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I got one from an army surplus site a couple of years ago and it's AMAZING. It's like pulling on a duvet it's so warm.

This is the one I bought.

It's incredibly well made. It's military issue so it's waterproof, and with the proper collar which stands up on its own and is like having a wall around your neck in the wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭BillyBoy13

Thanks for the advice... although I was hoping more for a dressy one that I can wear over a suit :)

BillyBoy13 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice... although I was hoping more for a dressy one that I can wear over a suit :)

Oh, ok. So really you want a greatcoat then. Peacoats are always going to look 'military'.

That sounded bitchy, I don't mean it to. I'm just saying if you're narrowing your searches online for 'peacoat' then you'll mainly be finding military coats. If you want something for over a suit then I'd advise checking places that stock Hugo Boss etc, or if that's not in your budget, M&S have great coats, and they wear very well.

Emmm... heres an example of something similar to what Id be looking:

peacoat_how2.jpg

Emmm... heres an example of something similar to what Id be looking:

peacoat_how2.jpg

Fair enough. I don't see the big difference between that and my original post, except for the buttons... Am I missing something? Those are fairly easy to swap out.

FWIW I wear my peacoat over suits and for more formal ocassions and it looks grand. But to each his own, eh? :)

• Advertisement

Fair enough. I don't see the big difference between that and my original post, except for the buttons... Am I missing something? Those are fairly easy to swap out.

FWIW I wear my peacoat over suits and for more formal ocassions and it looks grand. But to each his own, eh? :)

When you said you got it in military surplus I was kind of imagining somethings that's been through the wars (literally). But Im starting to wonder now, does military surplus = brand new?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Mr Porter have some really nice ones. Pretty pricey though

http://www.mrporter.com/Shop/Search?keywords=pea+coats

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Check GAP - they may have a bad rep depending on who you're talking to but I got a peacoat for €60 there last year and it's great quality for the price I paid.

I checked their EU site just now and couldn't find a link but I think it might be giving a look next time you're passing by

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

D'Agger wrote: »
    Check GAP

It will be hard to get one on the high street this time of year as all the stores are starting to stock their summer ranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭manlad

I bought one in MandS the other day. I'm really happy it. 95 euro. Heres the link. I think its some line that David Gandy is promoting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It will be hard to get one on the high street this time of year as all the stores are starting to stock their summer ranges.
    True, they might have a few reduced to clear though, worth a gander in passing if time is on your side maybe :)

When you said you got it in military surplus I was kind of imagining somethings that's been through the wars (literally). But Im starting to wonder now, does military surplus = brand new?

Yeah, absolutely. Maybe I should have said that!!! Mine came sealed and perfect. I paid another €70 to get it tailored and it fits me perfectly. It'll last me years.

I hope I didn't sound pushy- it's just a great coat for the money! My Dad bought one in Dublin for the same price and tbh it's shi!te.

Best of luck finding something. Getting a good quality coat can be a total pain :)

Yeah, absolutely. Maybe I should have said that!!! Mine came sealed and perfect. I paid another €70 to get it tailored and it fits me perfectly. It'll last me years.

I hope I didn't sound pushy- it's just a great coat for the money! My Dad bought one in Dublin for the same price and tbh it's shi!te.

Best of luck finding something. Getting a good quality coat can be a total pain :)

You know that sounds like a good plan with the military surplus and getting tailored. When you first said military I was thinking Id order it and it would come with barbed wire rips and probably blood stains and all sorts. Thats why I mentioned I was looking for something that I could put on over a suit.

By the way, any chance you could pm me the tailor?

You know that sounds like a good plan with the military surplus and getting tailored. When you first said military I was thinking Id order it and it would come with barbed wire rips and probably blood stains and all sorts. Thats why I mentioned I was looking for something that I could put on over a suit.

By the way, any chance you could pm me the tailor?

Yeah, I can see where I caused confusion. And like anything, if you don't like it when you get it you can return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Pea coat? Do you mean a reefer jacket in English?

Advertisement