Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair removal recommendation?

Options
  • 27-12-2013 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I personally detest body hair and have always removed most of my body hair. For years, I shaved it, but lately I've started to dislike shaving as it takes me a long time to shave everything and I'd need to do it every 2 or 3 days. I tried waxing with hot wax, and it just doesn't work, I did exactly as the instructions says, and no matter how long I leave the wax on, when I pull it off there seems to be a lot of hairs which weren't removed, I reapply and pull off again and the majority of that hair still remains. I used Nair Hot Wax. Has anyone got any recommendations for hair removal? My hair growth is probably about the same as this guy:
    http://fitness.bf-1.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/5346.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

^ NSFW!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Jesus christ, didn't notice how sexual that pose was until I took a second look.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You've a few options:

Live with it :o

Go back to shaving and try shave with a real razor like a cut-throat blade. It's quicker than a Mach 3 and wider so with practice you could perhaps get it down to a manageable investment of time.

Hair removal creams like Veet are supposedly great at big areas like the chest/back. I'd be fairly confident they are far too harsh to be using around the jewels though, so maybe use another method for those if that's what you're going for.

You could pay a professional to do the waxing for you? It's meant to last a few weeks at a time so maybe this would be the best non-permanent option for you.

Finally there's laser treatment and electrolysis. Both would be more expensive, especially the laser treatments. Electrolysis is time consuming since each individual hair is done separately so for your back/chest you're talking a serious investment in time and money. These two methods are permanent. There's a slight chance of growing back with laser but nothing like pre-treatment. They also give you the option to just thin out your body hair instead of removing it completely so you could try that to see if you like it before going for full removal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭LiamKK1982

I bought this brilliant hair remover off Amazon. It's the Philips bodygroom and you can use it everywhere. yes even there.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-BG2036-32-Rechargeable-Attachments/dp/B0087CL98K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388173696&sr=8-2&keywords=philips+bodygroom

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Thanks for the suggestions, electrolysis and laser hair removal aren't really options, both would be far too expensive and I don't really want a permanent solution, as I could possibly want chest hair in 20 years time. I've been considering going to a salon, but due to the sheer amount of hair I'd want removed it would come to quite a hefty bill and I can't afford to be spending over €100 in body hair removal every month, at least not until I've totally exhausted all other options. An electric razor is something I've been considering for a while, I'll definitely look into that one, seems very handy especially with the back attachment. I've tried hair removal cream a few times and every time it was a disappointment, leaving a big rash and only making the hair stubbly anyway. Has anyone with hair as thick as mine had any success waxing themselves? Is there any specific product which may help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Plutharc

HI same here, hairy ape but I shave with something similar to that phillips but like the extension for the back as always trickey to get to some areas on the back. Have to shave prob every 2 to 3 days but still a bit stubbley after a day. If im going on holidays I usually get the back waxed, less painful than the chest which is easy enough to shave in shower every day and back wax usually last for 3 weeks so less hassle when on hols. I too would not bother with Laser due to cost and would also fear possible skin reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

First of all, just from a woman's point of view: Most of us don't care about body hair on men, in fact I'd probably wager most of us prefer it to the smooth waxed look on men. I know I do anyway.

But if it's just a personal thing for you, I'd just say get it waxed. It's only sore for a second and the more often you get it done the less painful it is as the hair weakens. Plus it lasts way longer than shaving or using creams like Veet which contain chemicals that are really harsh on your skin and your skin only stays smooth a few days- waxing lasts a few weeks. Don't bother using a home waxing kit anymore, go to a salon- it's way less painful and more effective.

You can get really good deals on all those deal pages for laser though so do consider it- it's not really "permanent" as they require top-ups once or twice a year to remain effective, so don't be thinking that if you go for that option that it's forever.

Most important thing is that you're comfortable with the look you want... but I would definitely consider keeping the hair if I were you- just thinking of the ladies ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭ibrahimovic

I don't have anything to do with this company but have started using this product for removing back hair, it's so good.

http://www.amazon.com/baKblades-BIGM.../dp/B00BPBLMCS

Have a look at the reviews, it took me 5 mins on my first go to remove all my back hair. Their official website delivers to Ireland, not sure they do on amazon.com.

For my chest and shoulders i just use an electric razor and trim it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Speaking as a dark haired woman who's often faced challenges regarding grooming in this area, the best advice I can offer is this:
    Do NOT use Veet/Nair or any other form of delapatory hair removal cream on your nether regions. Sweet merciful Jesus, the stuff BURNS.
    It's a chemical concoction that burns away the hair and is far too strong to be used on *ahem* more sensitive parts of one's anatomy regardless of gender. I speak from bitter, burning experience.
    I agree with the posts advocating professional waxing in a salon. It only hurts for a wee bit and lasts much longer than shaving. I enjoy a smooth chest on a man myself but of course, waxing/grooming is a personal choice for all involved.
    Also.. waxing... it makes certain things look bigger. Just sayin... ;) :pac:

Advertisement