Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SCART shortage dilemma

Options
  • 28-10-2013 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, looking for some advice.

TV has 2 x HDMI, 1 scart and one component. I need to connect up the following: UPC Box, DVD player, VCR and a security camera. All of these are scart. Am I screwed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

No your not screwed.... get one of these:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1078701/c_1/1|category_root|Home+entertainment+and+sat+nav|14419512/c_2/3|19780832|Television+accessories|14419521/c_3/4|cat_14419521|HDMI+cables%2C+scart+leads+and+accessories|28589753.htm

I recommend that you get one of these (with the switches... I know you have to get up off yer arse and push a button!), the ones without switches/buttons are problematic, all your gear won't be of the same impedence so you'll end up with duff signal on some devices.
    So go with the switches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

dodzy wrote: »
    TV has 2 x HDMI, 1 scart and one component. I need to connect up the following: UPC Box, DVD player, VCR and a security camera. All of these are scart.

I'm assuming you would already be aware if the DVD player was an upscaling type with HDMI and/or component output?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭dodzy

No your not screwed.... get one of these:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1078701/c_1/1|category_root|Home+entertainment+and+sat+nav|14419512/c_2/3|19780832|Television+accessories|14419521/c_3/4|cat_14419521|HDMI+cables%2C+scart+leads+and+accessories|28589753.htm

I recommend that you get one of these (with the switches... I know you have to get up off yer arse and push a button!), the ones without switches/buttons are problematic, all your gear won't be of the same impedence so you'll end up with duff signal on some devices.
    So go with the switches.
    Peter Rhea wrote: »
    I'm assuming you would already be aware if the DVD player was an upscaling type with HDMI and/or component output?

Thanks KB, but was hoping for a remote option.

Peter, yep, old school DVD player. I'll be installing FTA & Saorview combo setup next week so that'll take care of 1 HDMI. The DVD player, I might advise a new purchase of a HDMI unit ( cheap as chips these days ), Use the 1 scart for the surveillance camera and perhaps connect the vid via a scart to component slots at rear of TV. Can I use these connection points bearing in mind that the video only outputs to SCART ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

The VCR would use scart-to-composite (yellow phono connector, doubles as 1 of the component inputs on some tvs), along with the red & white stereo audio connectors. Or you could use the RF output (probably little or no difference in quality).

Or use a RF modulator with the camera. Presumably it uses some sort of wireless feed?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭dodzy

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    The VCR would use scart-to-composite (yellow phono connector, doubles as 1 of the component inputs on some tvs), along with the red & white stereo audio connectors. Or you could use the RF output (probably little or no difference in quality).

Or use a RF modulator with the camera. Presumably it uses some sort of wireless feed?
    Nope, s-vid cable from camera to scart connection (powered). I'll try the RCA leads and hopefully get a result!

• Advertisement
Advertisement