Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legal Question

• 23-06-2013 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right spot - mods feel free to move if necessary. My Grandad is a retired tailor, in his early 70's, he has worked in the business all his life and with some well known names.
    He still does a bit of it now and again for family etc, - just the mens stuff, women are too hard to please at times he sayes.. ;)

Basically a guy from the town came to him( say Alan) and asked him to alter a suit jacket (sleeves/cuffs) for a wedding he was attending. Suit was new & reasonable expensive circa 900/1000, so Alan came out, got measured, suit jacket altered and collected a few days later - himself asked for 40E for the service. Couple of days later Alan called up saying he wasnt happy with the sleeves so himself said call back to him and he will look at it again to see what the issue was. Alan said, no he didnt have time and brought it to a relative of his to fix it...

So the weekend of the wedding passed and first thing Monday morning Alan called up saying he wanted the price of the suit back + alteration as it was ruined and he would let my Grandad think about it before Alan goes further with it ( legally I assume).
    Goes without saying my himself is fairly upset at the whole thing and he isn't sure what to do -I suggested get Alan and his suit back and have a look at what was done by the other individual but I don't think that will work with Grandad as he isn't one for confrontation he said he will prob just pay the money...

should he get a soliciter involved now I wonder

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

If he receives a letter or summons, he should go to his solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Not sure if this is the right spot - mods feel free to move if necessary. My Grandad is a retired tailor, in his early 70's, he has worked in the business all his life and with some well known names.
    He still does a bit of it now and again for family etc, - just the mens stuff, women are too hard to please at times he sayes.. ;)

Basically a guy from the town came to him( say Alan) and asked him to alter a suit jacket (sleeves/cuffs) for a wedding he was attending. Suit was new & reasonable expensive circa 900/1000, so Alan came out, got measured, suit jacket altered and collected a few days later - himself asked for 40E for the service. Couple of days later Alan called up saying he wasnt happy with the sleeves so himself said call back to him and he will look at it again to see what the issue was. Alan said, no he didnt have time and brought it to a relative of his to fix it...

So the weekend of the wedding passed and first thing Monday morning Alan called up saying he wanted the price of the suit back + alteration as it was ruined and he would let my Grandad think about it before Alan goes further with it ( legally I assume).
    Goes without saying my himself is fairly upset at the whole thing and he isn't sure what to do -I suggested get Alan and his suit back and have a look at what was done by the other individual but I don't think that will work with Grandad as he isn't one for confrontation he said he will prob just pay the money...

Tell your granddad to tell the guy issue proceedings away. Also as an aside who buys a €1000 suit takes it away from the shop in which he could have got it altered for free, and gets a tailor to alter it. That just does not add up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Couple of days later Alan called up saying he wasnt happy with the sleeves

It took him a 'couple of days' to figure out that the sleeves were wrong? Didn't he try on the jacket on your grandad's place before he left? And he didn't express any dissatisfaction with the alterations then?
    himself said call back to him and he will look at it again to see what the issue was

Which was the correct response.
    Alan said, no he didnt have time and brought it to a relative of his to fix it...

If you have a problem with a service provided by one supplier and take it upon yourself to go to another supplier to rectify a perceived fault, it would be impossible to prove negligence or incompetence against either supplier if things go wrong because one will blame the other.

Under consumer legislation, what you are supposed to do is go back to the first supplier, express your dissatisfaction and ask him to repair or replace the damaged or defective item.

If he got someone else to alter the jacket while declining your grandad's offer to take a look at it then he has no case against anybody. Effectively he has destroyed any evidence which might have shown that your grandad was negligent or incompetent.

But it sounds like a scam, I'd tell him to take a walk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭Bluegrass1

He should tell the guy to pull the other leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Suit was new & reasonable expensive circa 900/1000
    Suit sounds stolen. You don't spend 900/1000 on an ill fitting suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

coylemj wrote: »
    It took him a 'couple of days' to figure out that the sleeves were wrong? Didn't he try on the jacket on your grandad's place before he left? And he didn't express any dissatisfaction with the alterations then?

Which was the correct response.

If you have a problem with a service provided by one supplier and take it upon yourself to go to another supplier to rectify a perceived fault, it would be impossible to prove negligence or incompetence against either supplier if things go wrong because one will blame the other.

Under consumer legislation, what you are supposed to do is go back to the first supplier, express your dissatisfaction and ask him to repair or replace the damaged or defective item.

If he got someone else to alter the jacket while declining your grandad's offer to take a look at it then he has no case against anybody. Effectively he has destroyed any evidence which might have shown that your grandad was negligent or incompetent.

But it sounds like a scam, I'd tell him to take a walk.

Thanks for all the responses, the above is pretty much my thoughts on it - it sounded a bit iffy when I heard it first, there supposed to meet up this week so I will make sure to be there in person to hears whats said.
    thanks all

Advertisement