Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unlawful Summons

• 21-06-2013 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi

I got a summons the other day for a unpaid speeding fee.
    Heres the background

Live with the parents
    parents own a business with a vacant rental on the second floor. So there's two post box's.
    Normally my post comes to our house.

So 6 weeks ago I opened a letter that was found in our vacant flat. It said I was caught speeding (which I was and don't object to).
    The issue is I was caught on 1/1/13 and didn't open it till both payment periods had expired. So automatically I was going to court.

Rang the number and offered to pay but got the cold shoulder and I quote "thats a postal issue noting to do with us I dono why you even rang".

2 weeks later I get handed a summons.

So my question is If I plead guilty whats the likely outcome?

or

Do I tell the judge and hope she dosent think im pulling a fast one?
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I suspect the summons is entirely lawful! One of the DJ solicitors/barristers will no doubt be able to comment on what happens in the event that you did not have an opportunity to comply with the fixed charge notice, I suspect it's tough luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Why are fines not sent by registered letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Should Have Done Arts

MadsL wrote: »

Thats what I said even if they recovered the cost in the fine it would be good to avoid this situations

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Should Have Done Arts

Marcusm wrote: »
    I suspect the summons is entirely lawful! One of the DJ solicitors/barristers will no doubt be able to comment on what happens in the event that you did not have an opportunity to comply with the fixed charge notice, I suspect it's tough luck.

Ya its lawful I just couldnt think of a heading. Oh it is tough luck but to what extend. Could I plead guilty and 4 points and a whooping fine or do I just get the fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

MadsL wrote: »

Presumably because someone needs to sign for it, which is not practical when you have to consider people living in apartment blocks and people not home at the same time the postman calls. Anyway, I doubt many would sign for a letter with a harp or Garda emblem on it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement