Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Have to laugh at some of our fanbase, before Kenny was sacked and even now. "What do you think of Capello for the job?"...."WHA? are ya fckin mad!! useless cnut" ive encountered this answer a few times in different variations.

We really have some shower of thick **** supporting our team.

I dont think many here would have said that about Capello, he is a fantastic manager who has won everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

niallo27 wrote: »
    I dont think many here would have said that about Capello, he is a fantastic manager who has won everything.

You'd be very surprised, i work in a bar and id have the usual chatter with the customers and mention Cappelo, i've got lads who have scoffed at the idea of him managing Liverpool. Bizarre. It doesn't surpise me though, there's some amount of clueless bastards who follow Liverpool over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

You'd be very surprised, i work in a bar and id have the usual chatter with the customers and mention Cappelo, i've got lads who have scoffed at the idea of him managing Liverpool. Bizarre. It doesn't surpise me though, there's some amount of clueless bastards who follow Liverpool over here.

There are some amount of clueless bastards who follow

Liverpool
    ManYoo
    Barcelona
    Inter
    Shelbourne
    LA Galaxy
    Kashima Antlers
    Kaiser Chiefs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭mormank

Liverpool fans seem to get a kick out of being pandered too.

Being reminded by the players and manager that the fans and the club are amazing.

LFC fans love to sing their managers name, Ged, Rafa, Kenny. We do so in the belief its making us part of some sacred sect. We laugh at our neighbours down the road for making damn all noise in Old Trafford, but despite it being a graveyard they have been successful.

Liverpool fans have a vastly inflated opinion of themselves. The most knowledgable supporters in the world my arse. The older generation yes, the ones who saw the good old days know what a good team is. And they would be the first ones to tell you what went on last season was ****e.

Its the next generation that are hanging onto the coat tails of the good ould days (having not been there) that are most deluded.

Its either one of these things:

1) Standards have slipped so bad that they cannot see how ****e we are
    or
    2) They are fully aware, and this fan boyism is a way of saving face amongst other supporters.

You can only trade off the past for so long.

Just saw this post now so apologies if it has already been dealt with.
    As a member of this so called youger deluded generation I take offence to this post. Also I call bulls*** on it as the way I see it is the reverse. I see the younger generation as being the more realistic fans to be honest. Sure th 'older' fans are quick to moan and say how sh**e we are and how it used to be better during the glory days blah blah blah. It was better. Of course it was. You don't need to have been there to know that winnings titles year after year is better than finighing 8th or 9th. You don't need to have been there to see what a title winning team consists of and to know what we are lacking.

I'll ask you this. As a member of the younger generation how exactly do I become deluded having only witnessed the dross(in comparision to the glory years which I missed) of the last 20 years? Repeatedly watching us fail at almost every hurdle, having known no glory days how exactly do become deluded into thinking we are more than we are?? If anything my opinion on the club is not 'clouded' by delusions of grandeur and a sense of entitlement which alot of pool fans seem to have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Seriously lads just take a step back for a second.....

Who is pulling the strings/advising at the club when it comes to football matters?
    It cant be John or Tom surely, so who is it that's advising ?

There seems to be a dark force that none of us know about, a master plan in operation, a massive surprise for us all ?:eek:

Or FSG just making it up as they go along :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,401 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

mayordenis wrote: »
    There is some actual honest to god morons in here, chill the **** out about Martinez and Rodgers, one of them may well end up being the candidate that gets the job but they won't be the only ones getting looked.

Everyone has gone and jumped off the cliff now saying Martinez is total **** and lacks ambition, bla bla bla, Martinez is young manager with a very definite opinion on how the game should be played, if he can scale up what he was doing at Wigan there is plenty of room for him to grow in at Liverpool.

Especially LuckyLloyd, you've gone mad as far as I can tell, chill out, Andre Villas Boas was one who seemed a dead cert to succeed last year and didn't quite get there (should of been given more time for sure though). There is no guarantee a Capello or Klopp or Emery or any of the other top managers will out perform the likes of Martinez if he gets the job, infact if you applied your own nonsense reasoning those managers would never of gotten huge jobs with Dortmund (Massive Club) and Valencia (Massive CLub) so really calm down, give the proccess a ****ing minute and when a decision is made either give the new man a chance or just please please **** off.

I won't be going anywhere, thank you. Hodgson got no time from me because what the **** is the point? Out of depth managers will look, well, out of their depth at this club. The scale of the challenge and expectations on hand are truly massive.

delw wrote: »
    Just seen this on .tv,make of it what you will
    LucyChambersLFC
    Anfield is turning into a studio this evening for a rather exciting photoshoot!
    http://twitter.com/#!/LucyChambersLFC/status/203210086674477057/photo/1/large

She is an attractive woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

opr wrote: »
    :confused:

Opr

Misread that Guardian piece! :o

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Leiva wrote: »

Who is pulling the strings/advising at the club when it comes to football matters?
    It cant be John or Tom surely, so who is it that's advising ?

Was wondering this myself as well. There appears to be a complete football knowledge vacuum at the minute so god knows who is whispering in their ears.

I actually lol'd when I read the Guardian this morning - "Guardiola tops Liverpool list - Wigan give LFC permission to talk to Martinez".....jesus wept

Have to laugh at some of our fanbase, before Kenny was sacked and even now. "What do you think of Capello for the job?"...."WHA? are ya fckin mad!! useless cnut" ive encountered this answer a few times in different variations.

We really have some shower of thick **** supporting our team.

Who the **** is saying that? :confused::eek:

Capello would be a brilliant appointment. He wouldn't be phased one bit by the situation, and would dominate the egos in our dressing room...

• Advertisement

Matinez looking more likely this morning by some accounts.

My prediction for Martinez.

Fans won't back him, and he'll be gone by Xmas 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Really like Martinez but he is another massive gamble. Careers can be broken by a move to Liverpool, although I have to hand it to Hodgson for the way he has come back. I reckon the England job will be the straw that breaks his sanity though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Does anyone else not think its just going to be another Hodgson appointment. Seems very rushed

I had a nightmare last night that we sacked Kenny Dalglish and replaced him with Wigan's Roberto Martinez .

Ahh No. wait ..

Des wrote: »
    Matinez looking more likely this morning by some accounts.

My prediction for Martinez.

Fans won't back him, and he'll be gone by Xmas 2013

Weeeeeeeeeeeee!!

This is going to be the awesome fun part of Martinez / Rogers joining. Utd fans will be falling over themselves to tell us how 'ye have got your best manager in two decades', how 'Liverpool might be feared if Martinez is given time'. And when it isn't working out and it is actually clear that he is miles out of his depth, they'll accuse us of 'hounding him out' and condescendingly worry about 'how much of a shame it is that once great Liverpool have got to this point'.

Can't wait! :rolleyes:

Martinez is Hodgson 2.0 ready to happen.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Does anyone else not think its just going to be another Hodgson appointment. Seems very rushed

If they are serious about holding interviews then there shouldn't be an announcement until the end of the month at the earliest imo. Anything else is half arsed.

I love Digger .

Always speaks the truth .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

The majority of football fans are clueless and it is more noticable with Liverpool or utd fans because there is more of them.

I'm not saying, nor have ever said that Martinez is the best man for the job, or the right choice, so you can shove that up your ass for a start Lloyd.

Rafa is clearly a better choice, but one the owners may not want to make, given the likely scenario will be a DoF/Manager Combo that Rafa won't work under.

Capello has indicated that he wants the Chelsea job.

Guardiola, Mourinho is pie-in-the-sky talk, Klopp also, he is building something at Dortmund and won't want to leave it - any manager would be insane to leave a German club in the CL for Liverpool, in my opinion.

Rijkaard is probably a decent option, but his name hasn't been linked anywhere.

Rodgers, Lambert and Martinez - they are Owen Coyles waiting to happen imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Weeeeeeeeeeeee!!

This is going to be the awesome fun part of Martinez / Rogers joining. Utd fans will be falling over themselves to tell us how 'ye have got your best manager in two decades', how 'Liverpool might be feared if Martinez is given time'. And when it isn't working out and it is actually clear that he is miles out of his depth, they'll accuse us of 'hounding him out' and condescendingly worry about 'how much of a shame it is that once great Liverpool have got to this point'.

Can't wait! :rolleyes:

that kind of sh!t show why pool fans are so disliked, whoever comes in needs to be given full backing regardless who he is, do you lot not realise that kind f talk actually adds to the already pressure he is under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

You cannot say for definite that Martinez will be out of his depth. Give him time, until it is clear that he is or isn't. It'd only take a few months. But judging him like this is unfair.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    The majority of football fans are clueless and it is more noticable with Liverpool or utd fans because there is more of them.

Yes.

But Liverpool fans take the title for me .

Some folk on here (and in work) will get what they wished for. I just hope they have the balls to stand by their decisions when things go tits up, and not hide behind some trivial shoite that happens from here until the flavour of the month manager gets the bullet in <18 months .

I'm not saying, nor have ever said that Martinez is the best man for the job, or the right choice, so you can shove that up your ass for a start Lloyd.

Rafa is clearly a better choice, but one the owners may not want to make, given the likely scenario will be a DoF/Manager Combo that Rafa won't work under.

Guardiola, Mourinho is pie-in-the-sky talk, Klopp also, he is building something at Dortmund and won't want to leave it - any manager would be insane to leave a German club in the CL for Liverpool, in my opinion.

Good post, fair enough groups there.

That said, you know it's coming from your ilk, if not from yourself.

Based on what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

El Spearo wrote: »
    the more i come on here at times like this the more i realise how many lurkers there are

So?

This thread is for lfc fans in particular and football fans in general. Lurkers or not, all can post whenever and how often they wish. It's not for the few who post the most.

Regular posters fill this thread with sh!te as well, dont go blaming lurkers for all the crap.

Posting regularly here does not mean you're any more knowledgeable than someone who just likes to lurk.

• Advertisement

G.K. wrote: »
    You cannot say for definite that Martinez will be out of his depth. Give him time, until it is clear that he is or isn't. It'd only take a few months. But judging him like this is unfair.

It isn't mate. I watched a lot of Wigan games in full over the last couple of years because of the two Irish lads on the books there. They have been an absolute shambles for such long stretches of the last two years. This flavour of the month stuff means nothing to me, and style of football has never really concerned me. If we played Crazy Gang tactics and were in the top four because of it I'd be well pleased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I don't get the Martinez love I have to say. If I recollect correctly, Wigan under him have consistently failed to produce any sort of results until the final stages of the season where they somehow manage to survive. Brilliant achievement at Wigan given the constraints he's working within but I don't see how this can be applied in assessing his chances of success at Liverpool?

Appointing him as manager would be as big a risk as it would have been keeping Kenny, just for different reasons. If Martinez/Rodgers/Lambert are the kind of managers we're looking at I don't see what the harm would have been keeping Kenny until January at least? :confused:

I'm fine with Kenny being let go as long as it was part of a speedy process in acquiring a good manager, but who's availability on the market demanded that we moved quickly. The likes of Martinez/Rodgers/Lambert on the other hand are always going to be available if a club like Liverpool comes knocking.

Of course, whoever is the manager will be given every chance. I gave Roy every chance, I only started to judge his performance after our defeat against Man U (3-2 afaik?). I'll give the next manager the same benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

Where do you even start with a comment like this?

Martinez is 38. Hodgson is 65.
    Hodgson plays a rigid 4-4-2. Martinez is flexible.
    Martinez is Spanish. Hodgson is English.
    Hodgson had previous in showing that he couldn't work with top players.

At least have an open mind

Where do you even start with a comment like this?

Martinez is 38. Hodgson is 65.
    Hodgson plays a rigid 4-4-2. Martinez is flexible.
    Martinez is Spanish. Hodgson is English.
    Hodgson had previous in showing that he couldn't work with top players.

At least have an open mind

You can start wherever you like. Martinez might prefer a more positive style of football and be the right side of 40, but it doesn't alter the fact that his CV makes him an inappropriate candidate for the Liverpool job just as Hodgson's CV (at the other end of the scale, but still) made him an inappropriate appointment.

So he's young, well spoken and plays 3 - 4 - 3. He even won 7 of 9 premiership games to save Wigan's bacon. SO WHAT. This is flavour of the month stuff boys (just like we had with Hodgson after Fulham's UEFA Cup run) and I ain't buying it.

I don't get the Martinez love I have to say. If I recollect correctly, Wigan under him have consistently failed to produce any sort of results until the final stages of the season where they somehow manage to survive. Brilliant achievement at Wigan given the constraints he's working within but I don't see how this can be applied in assessing his chances of success at Liverpool?

Appointing him as manager would be as big a risk as it would have been keeping Kenny, just for different reasons. If Martinez/Rodgers/Lambert are the kind of managers we're looking at I don't see what the harm would have been keeping Kenny until January at least? :confused:

I'm fine with Kenny being let go as long as it was part of a speedy process in acquiring a good manager, but who's availability on the market demanded that we moved quickly. The likes of Martinez/Rodgers/Lambert on the other hand are always going to be available if a club like Liverpool comes knocking.

Of course, whoever is the manager will be given every chance. I gave Roy every chance, I only started to judge his performance after our defeat against Man U (3-2 afaik?). I'll give the next manager the same benefit.

If Martinez was from Scunthorpe and not Spain then we wouldn't be even discussing his name .

Its because he is Spanish and plays an open form of football that it seems, and presumed, he is somehow inherently going to automatically deliver Tiki-taka football to LFC .
    Fúcking crazy !

We as a club are at a serious cross roads and taking risks on non proven managers at big clubs is just madness, and a unnecessary risk.

IMO we should be banging down the door of Rafa Benitez instead of chasing pie-in-the-sky philosophies .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

You can start wherever you like. Martinez might prefer a more positive style of football and be the right side of 40, but it doesn't alter the fact that his CV makes him an inappropriate candidate for the Liverpool job just as Hodgson's CV (at the other end of the scale, but still) made him an inappropriate appointment.

So he's young, well spoken and plays 3 - 4 - 3. He even won 7 of 9 premiership games to save Wigan's bacon. SO WHAT. This is flavour of the month stuff boys (just like we had with Hodgson after Fulham's UEFA Cup run) and I ain't buying it.

....and if everyone thought like you, no manager would ever get a break at a top club...Klopp, Benitez, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Rafa wont get the time either if he doesn't start well, people will be too quick to say "told ye so".

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

....and if everyone thought like you, no manager would ever get a break at a top club...Klopp, Benitez, etc

There are stepping stones that exist between a club like Wigan and a club like Liverpool. If we're going to give chances to people for potential's sake, then let's promote from within. There are people within the organisation with a commitment to good football who could be worthy of a punt. Martinez for Aston Villa would make sense to me.

For every Klopp and Benitez there is a Staunton or Hodgson.

K-9 wrote: »
    Rafa wont get the time either if he doesn't start well, people will be too quick to say "told ye so".

Of course! There is no time on offer here right now. Benitez, Dalglish and Hodgson have all been sacked well before Moores would have made a move on them. Benitez and Dalglish in particular would have been assured of another full season in times past. As such, it is ****ing stupid to talk about time and patience that won't exist for anyone (including the likes of Capello or Pep if they took over). This is a pressure cooker job now. Dalglish got great results his first three months back and that bought him a season. Hodgson didn't and he paid the price.

This is where Liverpool is right now, for better or worse. As such, any prospective manager should have experience dealing with those types of expectations and pressure for results from the get go.

K-9 wrote: »

Yes but I don't think it would be half as bad as say three years ago. We have been through a hell of a lot in the past 24months.
    Fans learn and mellow (fingers crossed ;) )

If Rafa got the job I would love if the club came out and said this is a minimum 5year plan and we all need to be patient etc .

If the club/owners are not willing to put such a long-term plan in place, and want instant success (ala Chelsea) then they can fúck right off and I dont want them anywhere near the club.

in other news ..
    Ian Ayre insists Liverpool's top stars are on board as the club looks to enter a fresh and exciting period with a new manager.

The club's managing director has spoken to key members of the squad following the departure of Kenny Dalglish - and has now dismissed any talk of high-profile exits.

"I spoke to all our senior players yesterday and I don't think that will happen," said Ayre.

"Of course Kenny is an important part of the fabric of the club and always will be.

"There isn't anyone who won't be disappointed with the decision but at the same time players are respectful.

"It's about the football club. We are talking about going forward, not going backwards."

Ayre hopes key positions will start to be filled over the next fortnight after the club parted company with Dalglish, director of football Damien Comolli and director of communications Ian Cotton.

"There are no plans to fire anyone else," Ayre confirmed. "It was just part of a process. It is all part of wanting to get it right. The natural break point is at the end of a season. That is the time when you take stock of what people have achieved or what they haven't achieved within a period.

"This view that there is a crisis and everyone is leaving is wrong, it's just a time based thing. When anyone leaves you have to go through the process of finding a replacement and moving forward.

"It's fair to say we are fairly imminent on a lot of positions that have exited. What you will see over the next two weeks is those new people arriving and a momentum of going forward.

"There will be new people arriving with new energy and new initiatives. For all the negativity that has existed in the last six to eight weeks, you will see a lot of positivity around the new appointments with their experience and what they will deliver."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

He even won 7 of 9 premiership games to save Wigan's bacon.

Having previously gone 1 win in 12 to find themselves in that position. Does he not get the blame for that, if he gets the credit for saving them?

And they are not THAT poor, they can afford to buy a few players every year. They'd a pretty new if small stadium. They'd gone well in buying players cheap and selling on - Palacios, Valencia, Cattermole, Baines, N'Zogbia (who Newcastle should never have sold). Those 5 brought in £50M. But none of them were signed by Martinez...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Rafa won't suit the model FSG are putting in place. Whoever gets manager job won't be allowed the kind of controll Rafa wants. There's gonna be a DOC telling him what to say and how to handle the media. You only have to look at the past year to see the benefits of that.There'll be a DOF handling transfers and the overall direction of the club. The manager will be more of a coaching figure. FSG are doing things their way. So AVB, Martinez, Rogers are all much of muchness.

Re: Rafa, I'm torn. Firstly, let me just say that I think he has zero chance of getting a call.

But all the same, if he was contacted, I don't how I'd feel. On the one hand, I feel that Rafa has unfinished business at Anfield and almost deserves another chance. But on the other hand, I can remember the things that frustrated me about him.

His poor transfer dealings (made even more stark by how Newcastle have operated this season - there are good players that can be bought for low prices).

His man management of some players i.e. the likes of Keane and Crouch hitting form only to be dropped for the next game.

His bizarre policy in regards to substitutions (Torres off against Birmingham, Lucas on instead of Keane when we were looking for 3 points against Hull, etc etc).

His stubbornness (yes Lucas has turned into a super player but there was a time when he wasn't so super, yet was played almost religiously to the detriment of the team). Insua would be another example.

The man gave me my most memorable nights as a Liverpool fan but at the same time, but he has too many flaws that hold him back.

It isn't mate. I watched a lot of Wigan games in full over the last couple of years because of the two Irish lads on the books there. They have been an absolute shambles for such long stretches of the last two years. This flavour of the month stuff means nothing to me, and style of football has never really concerned me. If we played Crazy Gang tactics and were in the top four because of it I'd be well pleased.

His style, just by what it is, will always work with better players. I agree with a lot of your sentiment, and wouldn't employ him if I were pool unless Rafa, AVB, Lambert, Klopp, Guardiola and Deschamps all turned the job down.

But managers have bad times in some places but work very well in others. But fundamentally Martinez' philosophy is much better off with the likes of Suarez playing it compared to the likes of Shaun Maloney. The guy himself seems fairly tactically astute, I'd put some of the failing down to the players he has. Caldwell as his key CB compared to Agger, MacArthur instead of Lucas, Boyce instead of Johnson, Maloney instead of Suarez, even Di Santo instead of Carroll.

I understand your trepidation but still, juding him based on results with inferior players is unfair when you consider the results he has had. If he tried to play the ususal organised 4-5-1 and had such a poor record then he shouldn't be looked at whatsoever. Instead he's been trying an incredibly attacking, unusual for the EPL, 3-4-2-1 that only came in after the 8 straight defeats. They were playing a different system for those defeats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Richard Buxton ‏@Richard_Buxton_

Swansea manager Brendan Rodgers has reportedly turned down an approach from #LFC to succeed Kenny Dalglish #SCFC

Just been posted there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

brendan rogers has apparently turned down the chance to interview for the job

Thank fcuk for that as he would be an even worse choice than martinez

:o

Dodging a bullet or not, it's still a little embarrassing to think he turned down an approach from us. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

His stubbornness (yes Lucas has turned into a super player but there was a time when he wasn't so super, yet was played almost religiously to the detriment of the team). Insua would be another example.

Really?

Whatever about Lucas, his hand was forced for Insua so that's a particularly poor example imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

And Inusa has turned into a handy player.

G.K. wrote: »
    His style, just by what it is, will always work with better players. I agree with a lot of your sentiment, and wouldn't employ him if I were pool unless Rafa, AVB, Lambert, Klopp, Guardiola and Deschamps all turned the job down.

But managers have bad times in some places but work very well in others. But fundamentally Martinez' philosophy is much better off with the likes of Suarez playing it compared to the likes of Shaun Maloney. The guy himself seems fairly tactically astute, I'd put some of the failing down to the players he has. Caldwell as his key CB compared to Agger, MacArthur instead of Lucas, Boyce instead of Johnson, Maloney instead of Suarez, even Di Santo instead of Carroll.

I understand your trepidation but still, juding him based on results with inferior players is unfair when you consider the results he has had. If he tried to play the ususal organised 4-5-1 and had such a poor record then he shouldn't be looked at whatsoever. Instead he's been trying an incredibly attacking, unusual for the EPL, 3-4-2-1 that only came in after the 8 straight defeats. They were playing a different system for those defeats.

That's part of the concern though, to be fair. Everything looked lost and, for my money, he just gambled all - in because at that point he might as well have been hung for a sheep as for a lamb. Two seasons in a row, he and his players have thrown caution to the wind when the pressure has been taken off, and it has worked. But at Liverpool he won't get the luxury of having the pressure removed to such an extent, of having the fans and players and everyone else remove the spotlight.

I do take your point on players though. But then again, players that I could see aiding a system transformation like Maxi and Kuyt (clever players who move well off the ball) are on their way out, and the likes of Downing, Carroll, Henderson and Enrique could really struggle.

I'm just seeing the glass half empty here in a lot of different ways. :)

He didn't gamble in the sense of trying something new, unless buy gamble you mean trying something different.

They actually first tried it back in 2010.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/05/16/wigan-stay-up-after-a-switch-to-3-4-3/ explains it all very well.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Really?

Whatever about Lucas, his hand was forced for Insua so that's a particularly poor example imo

It should never have gotten to the stage where Insua had to be thrown into the deep end. We've known for a long time that Aurelio couldn't be relied upon.

I do take your point on players though. But then again, players that I could see aiding a system transformation like Maxi and Kuyt (clever players who move well off the ball) are on their way out, and the likes of Downing, Carroll, Henderson and Enrique could really struggle.

Maybe one positive:
    If Martinez gets the job you can bet you will see a big promotion of players from the academy .

It could be part of the strategy from FSG as funds might be very limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

It should never have gotten to the stage where Insua had to be thrown into the deep end. We've known for a long time that Aurelio couldn't be relied upon.

Fair point but that shoes an error in judgement - not stubbornness imo

It's not like he picked Insua over a better LB and refused to waver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭mormank

There are stepping stones that exist between a club like Wigan and a club like Liverpool. If we're going to give chances to people for potential's sake, then let's promote from within. There are people within the organisation with a commitment to good football who could be worthy of a punt. Martinez for Aston Villa would make sense to me.

For every Klopp and Benitez there is a Staunton or Hodgson.

I fear that the stepping stone approach may not be best for us anymore. We are not quite sitting at the top table anymore in terms of being able to pick and choose our preferred candidates anymore. I am not for a second condoning the appointment of Martinez, merely pointing out that by the time someone like him has really made a name for himself he may have more attractive offers on the table.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement