Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External HDD allocation problem

Options
  • 20-12-2013 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

I would really appreciate your help with a problem I've got.

Last night I plugged a 2TB external hard drive into my Saorview box to watch a film, but soon after I had selected the film (Reservoir dogs for the curious!), something happened and a message "unsupported file format" appeared, and none of the files on the HDD were showing.

The HDD was being recognized by my laptop, but was not showing up in my computer.

So I went into disk management and created a new simple process I think it was called, and reallocated the memory on the HDD.

I thought that might solve the problem but no. The HDD now shows up under my computer but it wants me to format the whole thing before I can use it. This is not something I can do as I don't have the space to back it all up, nor can I access the files anyway.

I downloaded software called EaseUS Partition Recovery and hope to play around with this later. My mistake was that I went reallocated the memory at all.

Can this be undone and therefore use the software I got to recover the unpartitioned files?

Long-winded I know, but hopefully I made that clear enough.
    Rob

Advertisement