Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total beginner - what to plant and when?

Options
  • 31-01-2011 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I'm a total beginner to gardening, moved into our first house in August 10, garden is just grass at the moment. It's a decent size and south facing.

I want to put in some flower beds and bushes, but haven't got a clue where to start. Are raised beds any better for gorwing plants and flowers, or is it just for visual effect? If I want to get going and start planting straight away, are there specific flowers and plants I should be putting in spring, and are there plants you can put in anytime during the year? No idea what plants to get there are so many out there, but I do know I'd like lots of colours!

Any advice would be appreciated, my mum lent me a giant hardcore gardening book, but it seems so overwhelming looking through it when i can't understand half of it! Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

I usually go to my local garden center and ask their advice on what's suitable for what / where I need.

At this stage you've missed planting early bloomers like Tulips, Dafodills etc but plenty of time for later in the summer.

Don't forget that some plants need lots of sun while others like shade, some like well drained soil some like boggy areas. So if you've an idea of this it'll help with choosing plants / flowers.

Raised beds are just the same as ordinary beds generally unless you modify in some way? Perhaps by adding stones towards the base to improve drainage or something like that but you could do this with a normal flat bed too...

Some flowers will grow year after year, others are just once off so consider that too when you're spending your money. Again the garden center staff should advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭amira

I, like the OP, am a newly garden owner and also looking for some advise.

Would you be so kind to tell us a few flowers that would grow year after year? Are this the so called perennials? i'm a bit lost at the moment with all the gardening slang..

the previous owner had some hanging baskets around the garden, they were all mostly dried out, i tried to prune them as best as I could.. but dont know if I could expect any re-growth in spring or should i just dismiss whatever is left and plant my own stuff?? and if so, what would you recommend??

Many thanks

Advertisement