Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood warbler?

Options
  • 10-07-2010 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭

New visitor to the garden. Looks like a Wood Warbler from I can determine.

I'll try to get a pic later (when rain dies off). But is this likely?

Cheers,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

E39MSport wrote: »
    New visitor to the garden. Looks like a Wood Warbler from I can determine.

I'll try to get a pic later (when rain dies off). But is this likely?

Cheers,
    Wood warbler are very rare in Ireland. Unless your garden in in extensive oak woodland it's more likely a willow warbler or chiffchaff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I agree with Feargal. Expect the ordinary rather than he rarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Boooo. ;)

The only reason I would rule out chiff chaff is that I haven't heard one here. I can regularly hear them in Donadea park but never at home (yet).

Just checked willow warbler on rspb and definitely a candidate. As I say I'll try to get a pic.

I think there's also a reed bunting. Checked rspb and part of the song on there is the same as the one being repeated by this bird.

There is a world of difference in the appearance of a Wood Warbler and a Reed Bunting (Male or Female). If it looks like a Wood Warbler then it is most likely a Chiff Chaff, with an outside chance of a Willow Warbler. That said we do get the odd Wood Warbler along the East coast at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

He might have meant Reed Warbler? (kind of similar to chiffchaff/ willow warbler).
    E39, here's a pic of a Reed warbler I took in Galway about a month ago, their song is amazing.

csc_00831.jpg

and here's a pic of a Chiffchaff getting blown every whichway I took in April..

csc_0291.jpg

The pics might help you id your bird, but the best way to id it is by its song. You should try buying a birdsong cd or listen to the soundbites on the rspb site.

• Advertisement

Sorry E39, just noticed you wrote that there's Also a Reed Bunting, rather than you think your mystery bird might be a Reed Bunting/Warbler..

Anyway, have a photo of a chiffchaff and reed warbler on me ;)

MB Lacey wrote: »
    Sorry E39, just noticed you wrote that there's Also a Reed Bunting, rather than you think your mystery bird might be a Reed Bunting/Warbler..

Me too. I totally mis-read that as well. My apologies. :o

He might have meant Reed Warbler? (kind of similar to chiffchaff/ willow warbler).
    E39, here's a pic of a Reed warbler I took in Galway about a month ago, their song is amazing.

csc_00831.jpg

and here's a pic of a Chiffchaff getting blown every whichway I took in April..

csc_0291.jpg

The pics might help you id your bird, but the best way to id it is by its song. You should try buying a birdsong cd or listen to the soundbites on the rspb site.
    Top bird is sedge warbler

Top bird is sedge warbler

fcks sake.
    Yep, you're right, yes thats a photo of the sedge warbler I saw at Clonfert Callows end of May.
    Brain+monday = not good combo.

so really all that post was good for was a photo of a chiffchaff :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Thanks gents. Sorry for confusing the situation. Something was telling me not to add the reed bunting into the mix while I was typing.

Anyways, back to the warbler. It was definitely a lot more olive/yellow then those posted above. I didn't see him/her yesterday at all. I only saw it in the rain over the 2 previous days. Very briefly. Looked like t was catching fies and was very nimble indeed.

I'll keep my eyes peeled today and opefully get a shot of both beauties.

Thanks,

• Advertisement

Thanks gents. Sorry for confusing the situation. Something was telling me not to add the reed bunting into the mix while I was typing.

Anyways, back to the warbler. It was definitely a lot more olive/yellow then those posted above. I didn't see him/her yesterday at all. I only saw it in the rain over the 2 previous days. Very briefly. Looked like t was catching fies and was very nimble indeed.

I'll keep my eyes peeled today and opefully get a shot of both beauties.

Thanks,
    Sometimes young Willow warblers can have very yellow underparts. You can confuse them with wood warblers. (I've made that mistake before:mad:)

Thanks gents.

Don't assume all posters are men! There are female birders too :D

Don't assume all posters are men! There are female birders too :D

Maybe she wasn't thanking you! :D

Advertisement