Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great Tits - Second Brood

• 28-06-2010 12:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭

Been a good year in my garden for Great Tits this year, parents very busy feeding a second brood so lets hope they will successfully fledge.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Yep it has been a very good year for great tits in terms of breeding. Seems to be quite a lot of second broods this year too, an unusual amount.

Of course a good year for second broods also means a good year for sparrowhawks as their young are generally hatched around the time that the smaller birds have their second broods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

For a good few weeks (7 at least) I had a few pairs of great tits visiting my feeder along with sparrows, previous to that it was greenfinches and golddinches.
    However formthe last 3 weeks or so it seems to be only sparrows that enter the garden now. No robins, no great tits nor finches!

Don't get me wrong, I mean the sparrows are fun to watch and all, but there was just something special about the lovely colours and markings of the finches. (who actually let me get within 4-6 feet of them)
    Or the lovel little great tits, who like clock work would stick to the same routine of fly onto feeder, grab peanut, then fly down to bush and grasp nut with two feet and peck away, my visitors use to chuckle watching them!

My question basically is if different species come and go during the year, could my visitors have migrated/been killed etc, or has my garden became a no go area for other birds because of the constant flock of sparrows that come now?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭amerden

It's normal this time of year to only have Sparrows with the very odd Chaffinch etc. visit feeders in gardens,
    Blue & Great tits are feeding on insects/caterpillars on the trees/bushes and finches in the fields, Robins are probably molting so stay undercover, so don't despair they will be back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Magpies hastling the Great Tit fledglings in the garden at the mo. I hope the youngsters find good cover.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i can get into all threads on the nature and birdwatching section in work except for this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

i can get into all threads on the nature and birdwatching section in work except for this one.
    Damned internet filters :D

Advertisement