Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winds of Winter Expected Early 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

They've said this loads of times. Won't believe it until it's official and he can't push it back. Considering he said the series would be done in 1998. He could still delay it again yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

All the signs are looking good. The decision to scrap the five years forward thing must've been massive. I mean, completely changing the story you had planned and starting anew. It must've have been mentally exhausting for him but he seems to have that pretty much sorted out.

Plus the Mereeneese knot he got himself into should start to unravel considering how much time he's had to deal with it..

Not too long ago he had a meeting with his editor and a few big wigs. Then there was this http://www.dailydot.com/geek/alejo-cuervo-winds-of-winter-release-date-asoiaf/.

Now we've all seen TWoW release dates reported and usually I'd just brush the off as barely educated guesses. But things definitely seem to in motion so for the first time in a while I'm cautiously optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Is this the last book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

bazermc wrote: »
    Is this the last book?

Second last, A Dream of Spring will be released sometime in the 2100's

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,332 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Second last, A Dream of Spring will be released sometime in the 2100's
    Well the first half; the second half (cut down due to size) does not have a planned release date yet (but as several chapters could be lifted and shifted it's been said it will be a quick thing to right).

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    Well the first half; the second half (cut down due to size) does not have a planned release date yet (but as several chapters could be lifted and shifted it's been said it will be a quick thing to right).

Yeah he's been working on them both at the same time so hopefully shouldn't be too long after WOW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It should be a bit like that one year gap between Crows and Dragons.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭DarkoT

I think that this is true, because the series demand that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Nody wrote: »
    I'm confused. Is he releasing two books or will these books be divided into two more books, meaning we have to wait for four books :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I'm confused. Is he releasing two books or will these books be divided into two more books, meaning we have to wait for four books :confused:

It'll most likely be 2 books split into 3, though highly probable 2 books into 4

Is it confirmed that WoW will be Part 1 and 2?

• Advertisement

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    It'll most likely be 2 books split into 3, though highly probable 2 books into 4

I was under the impression that WoW was part 1 and a dream of spring was part 2 and the final book in the series. I could be wrong though and knowing grrm anything is possible.

I really hope he doesn't do that. The last time books were split I felt a lot of crap was added and it just felt like padding. Plus it will take waaaay longer to get to the end.

Ant695 wrote: »
    I was under the impression that WoW was part 1 and a dream of spring was part 2 and the final book in the series. I could be wrong though and knowing grrm anything is possible.
    We should just change his name to Grim :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Currently there are two books left in the series, The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring, and currently that is all we know. A Dance of Dagons was orginally released in hardback in one volume, but then in paperback in two volumes. Currently we do not know if TWoW will but published in the same way. Currently that is all we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Generally the books are split in two simply cause they're too big. Wow will be the biggest one yet apparently so I would definitely assume 2 parts. Dream of spring will be 2 parts as well no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭Mugsy_P

Whats this "five years forward" thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Mugsy_P wrote: »
    Whats this "five years forward" thing?

When GRRM set out his plans for ASoIaF he intended to leave a five year gap between ASoS and ADwD. That's why the Stark kids are so young. He planned on relying on flashbacks to explain what happened in those years but after writing a sizeable chunk of it he realised it didn't work so he kept the narrative the way it was. But because he had always planned to have the five year gap, a lot of the stories didn't make sense so he released AFFC to carry the story along. His decision to change the narrative structure cost him the best part of a decade (I'm open to correction on the amount of time) and arguably his weakest writing in the series so far...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Trying not to get to excited about this.....

It's not working :pac::pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Never been as excited about a book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Can't wait.

Do they release on hardcover and kindle on the same day for new releases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

"Christian Today"? Not the most reliable sounding source Ive ever heard and I dont see many other places taking up the story.

Tbh I dont even bother googling for news anymore as theres a whole cottage industry of clickbait title scum posting articles about Winds of Winter and Game of Thrones all day long with zero extra information in them, Ill believe it when I walk into Dubrays and buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

^ That precisely, and it takes a very long time to translate a book, Martin's average book is small-print, 900 pages+ long so it'll take far more than 3-4 months to translate such a massive tome like The Winds of Winter will be.

Bear in mind it took the Spanish Harry Potter translator over 5 months to translate the largest book in the Harry Potter which has near 800 pages and has large-print. It'd easily take a ASOIAF translator well over half a year to translate one of the books and I imagine the original and translated-versions will want to be published as close as possible- to avoid any unauthorised translations and non-English speaking readers being spoiled, so February sounds like an unlikely publishing date.

Jijsaw wrote: »
    ^ That precisely, and it takes a very long time to translate a book, Martin's average book is small-print, 900 pages+ long so it'll take far more than 3-4 months to translate such a massive tome like The Winds of Winter will be.

Bear in mind it took the Spanish Harry Potter translator over 5 months to translate the largest book in the Harry Potter which has near 800 pages and has large-print. It'd easily take a ASOIAF translator well over half a year to translate one of the books and I imagine the original and translated-versions will want to be published as close as possible- to avoid any unauthorised translations and non-English speaking readers being spoiled, so February sounds like an unlikely publishing date.
    How much of a gap is there usually? If any? Having a manuscript floating around for 6 months for translation on different devices, being checked by others and then doing that for several languages means a lot more chance of leaks. I would've thought the focus would be on English sales and readers as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

How much of a gap is there usually? If any? Having a manuscript floating around for 6 months for translation on different devices, being checked by others and then doing that for several languages means a lot more chance of leaks. I would've thought the focus would be on English sales and readers as well.

Depends on the hype surrounding the book, a book that'll only sell a couple of thousands copies could be translated a couple of years after it is originally translated.

The closest book series to compare to ASOIAF is the Harry Potter series. The final book in that series was released on the 21st of July 2007 and because of the massive cover-up of the ending and not wanting anything to leak, translators weren't given a copy of the book to translate until it had been officially released for the general public.
    I'm not sure if this will be the case with ASOIAF but I think they don't want to have what happened to Harry Potter (i.e. amateur-translations being published online) because it loses revenue for the foreign publisher and the original author. We'll have to see though but I don't think The Winds of Winter will be released until at least summer 2016 (but GRRM feel free to prove me wrong!).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Chances are it will be spoiled anyways when the next season starts in April. But without any credible source I'd be inclined to think it won't be released anytime soon.

Depends on the hype surrounding the book, a book that'll only sell a couple of thousands copies could be translated a couple of years after it is originally translated.

The closest book series to compare to ASOIAF is the Harry Potter series. The final book in that series was released on the 21st of July 2007 and because of the massive cover-up of the ending and not wanting anything to leak, translators weren't given a copy of the book to translate until it had been officially released for the general public.
    I'm not sure if this will be the case with ASOIAF but I think they don't want to have what happened to Harry Potter (i.e. amateur-translations being published online) because it loses revenue for the foreign publisher and the original author. We'll have to see though but I don't think The Winds of Winter will be released until at least summer 2016 (but GRRM feel free to prove me wrong!).
    I dunno, I can't see the non-English versions being popular/lucrative enough to induce the publishers/rights holders to delay English publication for a year or more with all the risks that entails. Still, though, early 2016 is looking like a stretch now. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

mzungu wrote: »
    Chances are it will be spoiled anyways when the next season starts in April. But without any credible source I'd be inclined to think it won't be released anytime soon.

Here's an interesting tidbit from the other day:

"This is going to drive your readers crazy, but I love it. I'm still weighing whether to go that direction or not. It's a great twist. It's easy to do things that are shocking or unexpected, but they have to grow out of characters. They have to grow out of situations. Otherwise, it's just being shocking for being shocking. But this is something that seems very organic and natural, and I could see how it would happen. And with the various three, four characters involved... it all makes sense. But it's nothing I've ever thought of before. And it's nothing they can do in the show, because the show has already—on this particular character—made a couple decisions that will preclude it, where in my case I have not made those decisions," the 64-year-old bestselling author quipped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Anyone heard anything more solid about this release?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Kunkka wrote: »
    Anyone heard anything more solid about this release?

There won't ever be anything 'more solid' until he officially announces a date - he doesn't do progress reports so everything else you read is just unsubstantiated rumour.

Personally I've believed for a long time that there won't be another book in the series. Its actually a happy state of mind to be in, because theres no more downside. :)

This slightly tongue-in-cheek blog thinks there'll be no book either and goes further to theorize that nothing has actually been written since 2011. I wouldn't go this far, I suspect theres been a lot written (we had sample chapters in 2013?) but that it won't come together as a structured book.

Advertisement