Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

newbie2 wrote: »
    Jesus, what to say RE: Van Persie. Only it wasn't entirely unexpected - was it? One person to blame IMO:

jh796v.jpg

Why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

More reports that wenger and Ivan are fuming about the statement weren't expecting it at all

Arsenal are also denying that Ivan is in a two week holiday

More reports that wenger and Ivan are fuming about the statement weren't expecting it at all

Well someone must be telling porkies then.
    Hope this isn't going to drag on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

greendom wrote: »
    Why ?
    Lost control of the club - contracts are being dictated from upstair I MO

Because managers usually decide on pay levels for players and check the tils in the stadium at the end of matches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

That would be the fault of "upstairs", not Wenger. Either he does it their way or he's out of a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So you're blaming him for what the board is doing ?

RVP 11 wrote: »

Well someone must be telling porkies then.
    Hope this isn't going to drag on.

Grab the popcorn it's gonna be a long one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Jesus, what to say RE: Van Persie. Only it wasn't entirely unexpected - was it? One person to blame IMO:

jh796v.jpg

You are right that there is only person to blame but you posted the wrong picture:

AwyvptYCQAM9Gra.jpg

We finished third despite all the injuries we had, were only two of the four english teams to get out of the group stages in the Champions League, sign two strikers, are one of the most financially sound teams in the premiership and yet our "number one fan" says that we have no ambition?

The same "number one fan" who has played only one full season with us in how long?

Robin you may have been the number one goal scorer last season and we are very grateful, but if you want to leave, tell us the real reason and stop hiding behind some BS that you heard Nasri say last season, when it may have been true.

farna_boy wrote: »
    You are right that there is only person to blame but you posted the wrong picture:

AwyvptYCQAM9Gra.jpg

We finished third despite all the injuries we had, were only two of the four english teams to get out of the group stages in the Champions League, sign two strikers, are one of the most financially sound teams in the premiership and yet our "number one fan" says that we have no ambition?

The same "number one fan" who has played only one full season with us in how long?

Robin you may have been the number one goal scorer last season and we are very grateful, but if you want to leave, tell us the real reason and stop hiding behind some BS that you heard Nasri say last season, when it may have been true.
    That sums the bitterness up really....RVP you just copied and pasted what Nasri said, and he was a ****. LOL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

jh796v.jpg

Lol'd a nice amount at that. Is it that time already to have this popping up again?

Manager takes the blame for the fcuk ups in a club - am I wrong?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

The statement he released today was just stupid, he could hsve left quietly and not menu would hold ot against him
    But that statement made him look like a right knob

I think your autocorrect is all over the place fella.It spelled c*nt as knob.

And this is a right royal fcuk up - correct?

Yes. You are wrong because that statement is lazy and far too simplistic.

There are plenty of things we could criticise Wenger for; but his handling of the van Persie situation is not one of them.

hang on a second - he makes Vp captain at a time when he has NO competition as first choice striker, with two years left on his contract - and he doesnt renegotiate? FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,229 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

jordainius wrote: »
    Yes. You are wrong because that statement is lazy and far too simplistic.

There are plenty of things we could criticise Wenger for; but his handling of the van Persie situation is not one of them.

We really don't know what happened yet and can only speculate. The next week will tell a lot of the story. I think RVP will be sold very soon before more damage is caused. Maybe it's my suspicious mind but I smell a rat with our Board and think RVP was directing his anger in their direction too, not at Wenger who he praised. Don't forget Fabregas was angry with them too.

hang on a second - he makes Vp captain at a time when he has NO competition as first choice striker, with two years left on his contract - and he doesnt renegotiate? FFS

Van Persie was the best choice for captain once it was clear Cesc was leaving.

The club attempted contract negotiations with van Persie for the last year, van Persie chose to resist and stall until the end of the season.

Do you believe that Wenger should have somehow forced van Persie to sign a new contract against his will???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Remember Rooney came out with a similar statement and then signed a new deal. Is there any hope left that this can still be salvaged?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Of course the club will have been trying to get him to sign a new deal but he'll have kept delaying it knowing he could more than double his wage by moving elsewhere. Arsenal have probably been at him and his agent for the last 18 months at least.

Also, I'm not aware of any manager handling contracts. That's all done at board level. They're the ones who set wage structures, negotiate deals etc.

The last person to be blamed for this is Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Gremlin wrote: »
    Remember Rooney came out with a similar statement and then signed a new deal. Is there any hope left that this can still be salvaged?

I very much doubt it.

The thing about the Rooney deal is he knew well enough that Manchester United would give him whatever he wanted to stay as they pay very high wages anyway, and he ended up signing a new £200,000 a week deal (according to The Guardian and numerous other sources).

Arsenal would find it virtually impossible to match what City, Madrid, Barca etc will offer Van Persie as it would shatter their wage structure completely. If they do that then they have every Tom, Dick and Harry at the club demanding a new and improved contract.

Paully D wrote: »
    Of course the club will have been trying to get him to sign a new deal but he'll have kept delaying it knowing he could more than double his wage by moving elsewhere. Arsenal have probably been at him and his agent for the last 18 months at least.

Also, I'm not aware of any manager handling contracts. That's all done at board level. They're the ones who set wage structures, negotiate deals etc.

The last person to be blamed for this is Wenger.

Ya iirc when Dein came into the club he tried to change it away from the manager, Gerorge was a bad man for the "take this deal or fcuk off" attitude with contracts.

That would be nice! Can't see it happening though. United under Ferguson is virtually a guarantee that you will always challenge for silverware and as good as a guarantee that you will win something.

I believe RVP wants a few medals before he retires, it is probably close to impossible to convince a player he will win things with us when he has spent the last 7 years hearing the same thing to no avail!

That would be nice! Can't see it happening though. United under Ferguson is virtually a guarantee that you will always challenge for silverware and as good as a guarantee that you will win something.

I believe RVP wants a few medals before he retires, it is probably close to impossible to convince a player he will win things with us when he has spent the last 7 years hearing the same thing to no avail!
    Being Dutch he should be comfortable with underachieving.

• Advertisement

That would be nice! Can't see it happening though.

Nah me neither, but we can always hope. I don't blame RVP for wanting to win a few medals. Just they way he's going about it is what sticks in my gut. BTW Gazidis needs to show his sorry face tomorrow just to prove he's not on hols.

Food for tht thought thd agent behind all this and that ridiculous statement is also Vermalens agent
    Barca anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

was at the cinema when the news broke- havent read officla statement's or had to time to process what has happened.

does this mean he'll walk for for free next summer? all im hearing is he isnt going to sign a contract? maybe this isnt over- maybe it'll put pressure on the club to do more with regards players/cash for vp.

lots of fingers are going to be pointed at gazidis and wenger over this- we knew it was always a huge possibility- to be honest, i dont really feel any ill will towards vp. not right now anyway

does this mean he'll walk for for free next summer?

I means he CAN leave on a freebie next summer if he wants. Read a report somewhere a few days ago which basically said that RVP could be playing a very dangerous game. If he does stay this season and doesn't perform he might find that he's not as wanted as he thinks in 2013. Especially if he has injury trouble.

...and if you want a good laugh;
    ROBIN VAN PERSIE ABOUT TO SIGN FOR TOTTENHAM?
    http://www.sportingpreview.com/euro2012/2012341.php

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I means he CAN leave on a freebie next summer if he wants. Read a report somewhere a few days ago which basically said that RVP could be playing a very dangerous game. If he does stay this season and doesn't perform he might find that he's not as wanted as he thinks in 2013. Especially if he has injury trouble.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webster_ruling

• Advertisement

amiable wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webster_ruling

Not a hope he does that, he released that statement to make his position untenable knowing if he hands in a transfer request he looses all his bonus

Yes I wondered about that. Most media seem to suggest that Arsenal have the right to make him stay if they want. He would have to buy himself out of his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I find it bad form that anyone would begrudge the guy a move away.

8+ years at the club, always gave his best, he's a superb player and only has an FA cup winners medal and a CL runners up medal at AFC to show for it....a bit of realism lads, he's 29 now, i dont see him lifting too many trophys at AFC in the next 4 to 5 years....he deserves a move to a bigger club.

Winterburn, smith & merson clip on SSN talking about we need to sell him and this is the same stuff every season

NukaCola wrote: »

8+ years at the club, always gave his best, he's a superb player and only has an FA cup winners medal and a CL runners up medal at AFC to show for it....a bit of realism lads, he's 29 now, i dont see him lifting too many trophys at AFC in the next 4 to 5 years....he deserves a move to a bigger club.
    With that in mind how exactly would you motivate Arteta?

BTW did anyone else read the suggestion that if RVP left Theo would 'do one' too?

He can move wherever he wants but it's the complete BS he's coming out that's pissing me off. He knows perfectly well that unless something has been arranged already he's bombed the resale value to the club.

How I read his statement too

http://yhoo.it/NmRkMm

TBF Arteta wouldnt get a better club

BTW did anyone else read the suggestion that if RVP left Theo would 'do one' too?

Hope we keep him as frustrating as he is

• Advertisement

He can move wherever he wants but it's the complete BS he's coming out that's pissing me off. He knows perfectly well that unless something has been arranged already he's bombed the resale value to the club.

He said he's not renewing his contract.....i take that to mean he's playing out his contract? Which he is perfectly entitled to do.......unlike others who flirted with other clubs and got their agents to talk bollox to get a move away....

TBF Arteta wouldnt get a better club

I wouldn't begrudge him his last pay day and I think we're better odd cashing in

But the spin he is putting on it is ridiculous and opens himself up for abuse

He said he's not renewing his contract.....i take that to mean he's playing out his contract? Which he is perfectly entitled to do.......unlike others who flirted with other clubs and got their agents to talk bollox to get a move away....

He's come out and confirmed he won't be renewing a contract, if he shut his mouth Arsenal could have got some offers before the season rather than having their hands tied and be left with capitulating and letting him leave for a small fee or have a player who doesn't want to be there play out a season and let him go for free.

I wouldn't begrudge him his last pay day and I think we're better odd cashing in

He came out and gave the fans the truth. I would admire that being honest. He is honouring his current contract, its dissapointing that he will leave AFC, but thats reality of the situation Arsenal is in......

Wenger doesnt look likely to make the step up to be champions again, i know a lot will disagree but i dont say this out of disrespect, he's a fantastic coach and he's doing very well keeping Arsenal competing for the top 4, but players like RVP want to win trophys...i dont see Arsenal winning titles/trophys under Wenger and i guess RVP sees that too.

He's come out and confirmed he won't be renewing a contract, if he shut his mouth Arsenal could have got some offers before the season rather than having their hands tied and be left with capitulating and letting him leave for a small fee or have a player who doesn't want to be there play out a season and let him go for free.

Truth be told, you shouldnt leave players like RVP run down their contracts to one year remaining. At that stage the player will always have the upper hand in negotiations anyway. After 8 years do you not like the idea of him playing out his last year of contract at AFC? Maybe thats what he wants and is entitled to TBH.

He came out and gave the fans the truth. I would admire that being honest. He is honouring his current contract, its dissapointing that he will leave AFC, but thats reality of the situation Arsenal is in......

Wenger doesnt look likely to make the step up to be champions again, i know a lot will disagree but i dont say this out of disrespect, he's a fantastic coach and he's doing very well keeping Arsenal competing for the top 4, but players like RVP want to win trophys...i dont see Arsenal winning titles/trophys under Wenger and i guess RVP sees that too.

He didn't give the fans the truth I believe, I'm only disappointed he might have drive his price down
    I believe we could be stronger without him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Truth be told, you shouldnt leave players like RVP run down their contracts to one year remaining.
    You cant put a gun to his head and make him sign a new one. He kept stalling. Arsenal have been trying to get him signed for at least a year now but he kept putting it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

He has been pretty open with his statement, he has not drove his value down by much, don't be silly.

He is a player in his last year of contract anyway, his fee would reflect that, and him not signing a contract up to now kinda lets other clubs know that he is interested in a move. It is also highly naive to think that his agent has not been discussing potential moves with clubs anyway and that anybody who would matter is fully aware of his situation.

If Arsenal are going to sell they will have a fee in mind, if that is not met they do not have to sell him. He can sulk if he likes and not perform to his best and will not be able to negotiate as high a wage as he could otherwise at his next club.

He can play a blinder this season and maybe even increase his negotiating power with a potential new club. Keeping him and worrying about his performances is no good, if he does not play with commitment and give his all he is doing himself damage, he will not want to do that, it is in his best interests to perform as well as he can if he is staying.

Just looking back over the thread, how do any of ye understand what I'm posting the amount of words changed with autocorrect :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I was never hugely sure he'd sign on again so it's no big surprise to me.

That statement is designed to give him an out. Wenger/Gazidis obviously told him he was staying next season regardless of whether he signed on or not. That statement makes his position at the club untenable now.

Personally I still reckon we should hold onto him. Let him play second fiddle to Giroud for the season until we see if the surrender monkey is up to it. Unless we get an offer of 15m+ from abroad. If it's City then we should hold out for 20-25M.

Captain choice. Don't give it to anyone we want to keep, because we sell all our captains. Squillaci or Chamakh are good options I guess. Failing that someone we know isn't going to leave within the next three years. Which is only Szczesny, Sagna, Arteta and Wilshere. Give it to Sagna. Legend.
    Here's a thought to make everyone want to vomit - van Persie goes to City, with Adebayor going the opposite way.

Wouldn't have an issue with that tbh. Yes he's not the most likeable guy, but if we could get him close to his 07/08 form I'd be delighted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement