Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick labour! advice

Options
  • 25-06-2011 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi I av 2 kids first labour was 12 mins nd 2nd was 4 mins was so lucky to b in the hospital wit 2nd nd just made it wit first(hospital 2 mins away) i am expectin again and quite worried that this one will be quicker nd i wont make it to hospital.. i had internal with 2nd baby at 37weeks because i was in pain midwife said womb was closed nd so did doc so as i was gettin ready to leave baby came out only took 4 mins because cord was round her neck nd i had to stop pushing. has anyone had similar fast labours...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

How many weeks are you? Have you had your first appointment yet?

I've known of people being induced because of previous precipitate labours (fast labours) so this may be an option for you, especially of you have had 2.

Speak to your obstetrican at your next appointment and share your concerns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭jayjayxxx

im 18 weeks. I have an appointment next week. I have been told that being induced can make labour longer and more painful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Not necessarily. On a first pregnancy, a labour can take a long time and probably even longer whith an iduction.

You've had two fast labours so it would seem that once your cervix starts to dilate, things move along very quickly!

You have to consider the alternative to labouring naturally. You could be in the middle of Tesco's at 38 weeks and have baba pop out on the cornflake aisle!

The probablility that you are going to have another fast labour is extremely high.

Again, I would advise talking with your obs next week. You can decide together the best plan of action that will have you delivering this baby both safely and hopefully with your dignity intact!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭jayjayxxx

thanks alot for your help. It is making pregnancy scary worrying if baby will pop out and nobody there to help. I think being induced or camping outside hospital would be best idea. I am lucky it's only 5 mins away but alot can happen in 5 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ash_18x

My mam was the same when she had us, she had my brother in an hour from labour to birth, she had me in half an hour (they had to reopen a ward in the local hospital because she could not make it to the maternity hospital twenty miles on) and then with my younger brother they took her in a week before because they were afraid she wouldnt make anywhere. That was 25 years ago, I presume they will really monitor you and make sure you will be ok!
    I am really hoping I will have a short labour too and that it runs in the family! I guess I will have to wait another while to see, am currently 23+4 days on my first!
    Best of luck and try not to worry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I was in the same boat. 3 hours on 1st, hour and half on second 11 mins on 3rd and 3 mins on the last. I don't want anymore but if I was going to i would have a home birth. Have to say the hospital didn't seem too concerned about it on the last one. They kind of leave it to you to get in in time when it happens. Suppose not a lot they can do but it caused me a lot of worry on the last one and rightfully so in the end. If the midwife hadn't dragged me up the stairs I would have had it on them. Lucky I didn't wait for the lift!

Advertisement