Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Climote Installed + Feedback

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

uli84 wrote: »
    Hmm, i've got 1 of these that are on the pic i attached in the main bedroom and 1 downstairs in the hall (probably should have been in the living room) they don't seem to work tho-I set it to 16 degrees, temp in my bedroom was 19 and heating kept on running-now i have no idea why -is it possible that once it's on timer it'll run regardless of thermostat setting?

If done correctly it shouldn't and yes the living room would have been better place too install it then the hall. If both stats are at zero do your rads still heat up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

MrMac84 wrote: »
    If done correctly it shouldn't and yes the living room would have been better place too install it then the hall. If both stats are at zero do your rads still heat up?

You can't install room stat into a room with a secondary heat source ie a fire place which most living areas would have. And a kitchen would have a cooker.

You can't install room stat into a room with a secondary heat source ie a fire place which most living areas would have. And a kitchen would have a cooker.

The hall is a poor spot aswell in my opinion as people coming and going opening front doors etc cause the hall too be colder then other parts of house but no where's perfect I guess.

The hall is a poor spot aswell in my opinion as people coming and going opening front doors etc cause the hall too be colder then other parts of house but no where's perfect I guess.

Your right there is no perfect place but a room stat correctly fitted in a hall will give a more even temperture thru out the year due to a lack of secondary heat sources, most well installed heating systems I am used to would have the room stat fitted in the hall and it works very well, the room stat positioning became more of problem when I moved to Ireland as they would be fitted in halls in positions that would have a negative impact on the heating controls ie...by the front door, above the rad, in direct sun light, 7 foot up the wall etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

gary71 wrote: »
    Your right there is no perfect place but a room stat correctly fitted in a hall will give a more even temperture thru out the year due to a lack of secondary heat sources, most well installed heating systems I am used to would have the room stat fitted in the hall and it works very well, the room stat positioning became more of problem when I moved to Ireland as they would be fitted in halls in positions that would have a negative impact on the heating controls ie...by the front door, above the rad, in direct sun light, 7 foot up the wall etc...

I swear to god, some sparks are stupid. I was at a huge house the other day and no kidding, 6 room stats not more than 300mm above each rad in the zones they were controlling. Some as close as 100mm

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭dersawazzie

Room stats fitted directly outside an airing cupboard was one I could never figure out how the installer would think would work, or in an upstairs landing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭uli84

No, when i turn it below 15 degrees or so i can hear a "click" and the rads do not heat up then.

uli84 wrote: »
    No, when i turn it below 15 degrees or so i can hear a "click" and the rads do not heat up then.

That means your stat is working correctly so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭uli84

my thermometer is broken so :)
    I kinda don't understand why its sort of pre-set to stop the heating when I turn the dial to 15, does that mean that it basically 'reads' my room temperature is 15 degrees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

Is tado similar to climote?

Saw this thread on bargain alerts and just wondering

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97883679#post97883679

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Just installed today so will keep you updated

One question but in relation to thermostats....

I have a 3 zoned system (upstairs, downstairs,water) with the simple turn dial thermostats similar to these .

One thermostat is placed in the hall (which in fairness as the tech said is poorly positioned as hall is always colder) and the upstairs one in the back bedroom.

The technician left me two wireless thermostats which he clearly marked them upstairs and downstairs, and he recommended i use maybe velcro to mount them, so as to have the option of moving if needs be, and advised that the existing turn dial ones just be left up full @30.

I am a bit confused; Im guessing he has bypassed the old thermostats, and my system will be controlled via these two new wireless ones, correct?

Also no matter how long my heating is on it will only burn gas when the heating goes below the set temperature on these two wireless thermostat, correct?

sorry if these question sound so stupid just it was only after he left that I got bit confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Just installed today so will keep you updated

One question but in relation to thermostats....

I have a 3 zoned system (upstairs, downstairs,water) with the simple turn dial thermostats similar to these .
    One thermostat is placed in the hall (which in fairness as the tech said is poorly positioned as hall is always colder) and the upstairs one in the back bedroom.

The technician left me two wireless thermostats which he clearly marked them upstairs and downstairs, and he recommended i use maybe velcro to mount them, so as to have the option of moving if needs be, and advised that the existing turn dial ones just be left up full @30.

I am a bit confused; Im guessing he has bypassed the old thermostats, and my system will be controlled via these two new wireless ones, correct?

Also no matter how long my heating is on it will only burn gas when the heating goes below the set temperature on these two wireless thermostat, correct?

sorry if these question sound so stupid just it was only after he left that I got bit confused.

Yes by using the wireless stats the original ones are no longer required by turning up to 30 would mean that they never reach temperature so don't turn off the boiler they are not bypassed they are still in use by right he should have disconnected them out of the heating wiring.
    The wireless stats now control the power supply to boiler so if the stat reaches temperature if wont send power to the boiler to run

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭D_D

Hi all. Just wondering something, I have one of the Climtoes installed. My old controller was from the 80's, so was glad to accept a free one off Electric Ireland. I think it's handy to be able to turn the heating on and off remotely...

But my question is, can these do damage to my gas boiler? I have mine set to 20 degrees and the climote is placed in the sitting room. When I turn on the heating , it warms the house to the correct temperature, but then does it's job and continuously turns on and off the heating to keep it at this temperature. It is currently about 30 minutes between the cycle of turning off once 20 degrees is reached, and turning on once it dips to 19 degrees.

Can these 'turning on and off' cycles damage my gas boiler?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

No

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭rounders

I'm currently getting a new heating system installed from scratch in a old house. House had no heating whatsoever in it. Its going to have a Grant combi condensing boiler and have 3 zones. Upstairs, downstairs and hot water. What thermostatic control would you recommend? Is something like climote or Nest any use to me apart from being a remote on off switch like a glorified GSM controller?

Sorry for digging up a old trend btw. Just seem to have a lot of knowledgeable people on it!

Also should mention that the house will be getting dry lined so running wires for thermostats wont be a problem as it will be all covered but dry lining

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

rounders wrote: »
    I'm currently getting a new heating system installed from scratch in a old house. House had no heating whatsoever in it. Its going to have a Grant combi condensing boiler and have 3 zones. Upstairs, downstairs and hot water. What thermostatic control would you recommend? Is something like climote or Nest any use to me apart from being a remote on off switch like a glorified GSM controller?

Sorry for digging up a old trend btw. Just seem to have a lot of knowledgeable people on it!

Also should mention that the house will be getting dry lined so running wires for thermostats wont be a problem as it will be all covered but dry lining

So all your bedrooms and bathroom will all be the same temperature? I would make the bathroom warm and the bedrooms cooler. If you don't use all the rooms then have the unused ones just "ticking over".
    Your living room, kitchen and maybe utility will all be the same temperature? I would only heat the rooms you need heated ie. when you need them; so control each room independently to save on energy.
    If you are doing this from scratch I would have a long hard think and do lots of research as you may regret going down the wrong road. The world has moved on and simple zoning is now just the start!

Combi's are a curse. Use system boiler and pumps.Plumbers will prefer the easy option but get what YOU want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭cruiser202006

Pricing up a few boiler changes in houses with climotes installed. No seperate zones. If I was to make a seperate living and a seperate bedroom zone would 2 wireless stats work with these??

Pricing up a few boiler changes in houses with climotes installed. No seperate zones. If I was to make a seperate living and a seperate bedroom zone would 2 wireless stats work with these??

Yes you can get the Climote ones
    They currently don't have a wireless stat for cylinder
    You can buy directly off Climote
    Ask for Aidan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭cruiser202006

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Yes you can get the Climote ones
    They currently don't have a wireless stat for cylinder
    You can buy directly off Climote
    Ask for Aidan

One stat installed already so will just need one more for each. Tender form just states that they want to be able to switch off rads Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mylesm

Yes you can if that Room is a Zone on its own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Hi,

I had the climote installed on Friday. I have a question on thermostats.

I got two wireless thermostats but they only work if the existing wired thermostats are set a temp higher than room temp. I thought my old thermostats would be redundant and that i would be able to remove them from the wall.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Washout wrote: »
    Hi,

I had the climote installed on Friday. I have a question on thermostats.

I got two wireless thermostats but they only work if the existing wired thermostats are set a temp higher than room temp. I thought my old thermostats would be redundant and that i would be able to remove them from the wall.

Surely your installer explained that to you????

Anyway, perhaps the old stats were left in the loop as a sort of redundancy setup. Turn up your old stats all the way up and see if your new ones then control the system. If that works, just leave the old ones all the way up. And if that works, just make sure that when your new stats are off that your old stats are not calling on your circulating pumps etc..

As said...easiest thing would be to give your installer a call.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Folks - I noticed the annual charge of around €40 once you're finished the first year.
    If you don't renew, will the climode thermostat still work as a manual swtich device (ie - non remotely?).

I've the offer to get one free from a gas boiler service, and my old thermostat has buttons a bit wonky, so meant to replace it anyway.
    Also - current thermostat is beside boiler in the spare utility room area. Will this still work?

cheers

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Folks - I noticed the annual charge of around €40 once you're finished the first year.
    If you don't renew, will the climode thermostat still work as a manual swtich device (ie - non remotely?).

I've the offer to get one free from a gas boiler service, and my old thermostat has buttons a bit wonky, so meant to replace it anyway.
    Also - current thermostat is beside boiler in the spare utility room area. Will this still work?

cheers

Yes the Climote will still work as a timer it just won't have remote access
    There is a built in stat in a Climote or a remote stat can be used

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I bought a netatamo cost €99 delivered. Full control of heating and settings including app and tech support. No other costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 drik

I bought a netatamo cost €99 delivered. Full control of heating and settings including app and tech support. No other costs.

@Punisher5112 did you buy the Netatamo directly from their site? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

drik wrote: »
    @Punisher5112 did you buy the Netatamo directly from their site? Thanks!

Yes it is saying out of stock at the moment.
    There is a discount code but not sure if still working .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Looking at getting a new control that I can control via app. I was looking at this and the Nest. I have Gas and not with Electric Ireland and if I switch the Climote is free and if not 149 Nest is 199 or if I switch 99. I only have one zone but would like to be able to heat up water separately to the radiators
    Are there other heating supplier companies whom offer this as only checked with Electric Ireland. Also is it costly to get another zone installed so I can heat up water separately? Finally is the yearly cost to control this via app 40?
    Apologies for all the questions just doing a bit of research

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pistolero

Hi, it is possible that customers simply want to "upgrade" or modernise the facilities their current system provides. It is absolutely true that adding a "remote" timer" will do very little to save energy costs and people are very easily misled when they do not understand what it is they are buying. For me it all starts with correctly sized rads-then onwards from that. In my own situation I have a correctly sized system, modern condensing boiler, proper insulation on the cylinder and the property, zoned heating areas and water- rad thermo valves-however my control (Honeywell) unit cannot be remotely set or adjusted so I plan to change it for the convenience this offers. I would suggest getting the basics right first before considering remote controls. Proper advise and costing is essential and hopefully thats whats being provided. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,156 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I didn't think anyone believed that the climote would save them money. The advantage of it for me is being able to control the heat remotely. Occasionally if we are out we will turn heating on half an hour be we get home. Outside of that I become a lazy so & so & boost my heating from my armchair. I doubt that it will ever save me a penny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 shug02

I've installed 3 climotes and think there a fantastic system...

Donovan Lively Oarlock - could I pick your brains via PM on strange issues I am seeing after climote install to replace my two timers on a Vokera 20e system

Its a standard three zone house, upstairs, downstairs heating and cylinder hot water.

Strange things started happening after climote install
    1. No voltage to hallway thermostat
    2. Heater turns off completely immediately after boost is turned off on climote (instead of waiting for water to cool down)
    3. When two zones are running it gets really strange - sometimes they get mixed up, climote on but one valve off, climote on but valve off....and other varieties.....

It looks to me like wiring error during install but the installer says no way it's that as it's "such a simple install"

Anyone see n something similar? Any Ideas?

shug02 wrote: »
    MrMac84 - could I pick your brains via PM on strange issues I am seeing after climote install to replace my two timers on a Vokera 20e system

Its a standard three zone house, upstairs, downstairs heating and cylinder hot water.

Strange things started happening after climote install
    1. No voltage to hallway thermostat
    2. Heater turns off completely immediately after boost is turned off on climote (instead of waiting for water to cool down)
    3. When two zones are running it gets really strange - sometimes they get mixed up, climote on but one valve off, climote on but valve off....and other varieties.....

It looks to me like wiring error during install but the installer says no way it's that as it's "such a simple install"

Anyone see n something similar? Any Ideas?

Shout away I’ll
    Help if I can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭xl500

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I swear to god, some sparks are stupid. I was at a huge house the other day and no kidding, 6 room stats not more than 300mm above each rad in the zones they were controlling. Some as close as 100mm

Depends if House was Wired or Plumbed First maybe Plumber Put Rad on Wall directly Below Stat

xl500 wrote:
    Depends if House was Wired or Plumbed First maybe Plumber Put Rad on Wall directly Below Stat

It's not have a go at electricians day but I've seen many sitting rooms wired for surround sound with the wiring at ceiling level and not seated ear level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭xl500

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's not have a go at electricians day but I've seen many sitting rooms wired for surround sound with the wiring at ceiling level and not seated ear level.

I know my comment was tongue in cheek see my emoji at top just pointing out it was possible It was wired first

xl500 wrote: »
    I know my comment was tongue in cheek see my emoji at top just pointing out it was possible It was wired first

It's the chicken or the egg question :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's the chicken or the egg question :)

Egg

Reptiles>eggs>birds :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I got this fitted today and I can't figure it out. I'm planning on just ignoring it but can anyone tell me how to just turn the heating on for an hour when ever I like? I don't need timers or remote shizzle, I just want to be able to find the "on/off" bloody button.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I got this fitted today and I can't figure it out.  I'm planning on just ignoring it but can anyone tell me how to just turn the heating on for an hour when ever I like?  I don't need timers or remote shizzle, I just want to be able to find the "on/off" bloody button.

Thanks.
    Why did you get it fitted if you want to do this? That's not how these devices function best...

In the manual they talk about a zone boost function: http://www.climote.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/climote-user-guide-V1.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Any one noticed their Climote reads a temp 2-3 degrees higher than reality constantly?

Advertisement