Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Re-watching from Scratch [Spoilers]

• 10-10-2015 10:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭

I'm fully up-to-date with both the books and the TV series, but I recently stayed with a friend who isn't, and we watched some episodes from series 3-4. I realised that I'd missed some important details on my first viewing, and that some things that happen early on carry additional layers of meaning in the light of what happens later. So I'm re-watching from series 1 episode 1, and am currently 3 episodes in to series 2. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

For example: early in season 2, Tyrion uses a canary trap to figure out just who, among his acquaintances, is passing information on to Cersei. He tells different versions of a plan to Grand Maester Pycelle, Varys, and Littlefinger, and learns that Pycelle was the leak. The version of the plan that got to Cersei was the one to send his niece Myrcella off to Dorne, later to marry Prince Trystane Martell.

What struck me about this scheme was how Tyrion handled it: when Cersei heard about the Dorne plan, she objected vociferously, but Tyrion worked to convince her, and later she agreed to the plan. Presumably, he would have done the same had Cersei heard a different version. You could argue that his support for the plan was part of the cover for his canary trap, and that giving up too easily would have looked suspicious.

Regardless, the result was that Myrcella went off to Dorne, kicking off a chain of events that would eventually result in
    dying by poison (TV series)
    . Tyrion couldn't have seen the future, and said it was for her protection. Perhaps he was relying on Cersei's reaction, and didn't expect it to actually happen. Unintended Consequences are a bitch, aren't they? :eek:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Hmmm, I always thought that the version of the plan he leaked to Pycelle was always the actual plan, and it was just coincidence (probably a stretch to even call it coincidence, it was a 1 in 3 shot) that Pycelle was the leaker rather than LF or LV.
    I don't recall anything in his internal monologue to suggest he went with this plan just because it was the one that was leaked to Cersei, but happy to be proven wrong if others read/watched it differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

There's book spoilers in what looks like a TV thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I don't recall anything in his internal monologue to suggest he went with this plan just because it was the one that was leaked to Cersei, but happy to be proven wrong if others read/watched it differently.
    Well, since this is apparently a "TV thread", we are obliged to limit ourselves to what was shown on screen, and are not permitted to refer to the book. I didn't see anything other than Tyrion waiting for what Cersei revealed and going with it.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,910 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

bought the 1-4 blu ray set in jan and just finished season 5 and love the show now but few questions
    Why did stanis kill his daughter in season 5 episode 9 ???
    is the hound really dead, . The hound looked like he was deff going to die at the end of season 4 up in the mountains after the fight. Did he somehow make a recovery and find a Maister in a nearby village ?
    Will Jorah Mormant turn into a stone man as he was touched by one ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Think I'm on my 4th or 5th rewatch and I'm still picking up tiny details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

PTH2009 wrote: »
    bought the 1-4 blu ray set in jan and just finished season 5 and love the show now but few questions
    Why did stanis kill his daughter in season 5 episode 9 ???
    to use the blood magic to gie him an advantage in battle
    is the hound really dead, . The hound looked like he was deff going to die at the end of season 4 up in the mountains after the fight. Did he somehow make a recovery and find a Maister in a nearby village ?
    Rumoured and hinted in the books but nothing confirmed
    Will Jorah Mormant turn into a stone man as he was touched by one ??
    just wait and see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

After seeing a post of Facebook that yesterday was the date to start a one episode per day re-watch we started on S01E01 - Winter is Coming last night.

I'd forgotten just how much was packed into that first episode: the introduction of the Starks, Lannisters, Barratheons and Targaryens; the first glimpse of the Wall and the White Walkers, the discovery of the direwolves, Danaerys' Dothraki wedding and culminating in Bran's "fall".

I'd also forgotten how exciting it first was to see the Wall in the pre-title scene and remembered noticing subtle changes like Ser Waymar Royce being cut down without a fight instead of charging bravely to his death and how Danaerys and Drogo's wedding night was more rape than consensual consummation of the union.

Also amusing to see how terrible Peter Dinklage's bottle blonde hair was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

In Season 4 when Bran stark and Hodor are held captive at Crasters keep why does Locke, the nights watch guy, try to capture Bran? He lies to John snow that there was nobody in the hut where bran and the brother sister pair where held up.

Is it as simple as he wanted to capture Bran?

I think so. Locke is sworn to Roose Bolton and, if you think back to his refusal to be bought by Jaime Lannister in Season 2, is loyal to him (if far too eager to maim the Kingslayer).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Just about finished my re-watch of season 5 and something occurred to me. Maesters are told where to serve by the citadel, they don't have a choice in the matter. But when Sam asks Jon if he could go to Oldtown to train to be a Maester he says "I'd be much better for the watch as a Maester than a fighter" (or something along those lines). This suggests he'll be allowed to become a Maester and go straight back to the wall. Does the nights watch have an arrangement with the citadel where they send Maesters back 'home' or did I just find a little loophole??

• Advertisement

I suspect that the position of Maester for the Night's Watch is one that's so little wanted by others at the Citadel that an existing brother of the Night's Watch would be about the only one who'd want the posting. TBH, I'd imagine most of the brothers would rather be a Maester pretty much anywhere if it got them out of the order... The problem for them is that the vast majority wouldn't have Sam's learning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Wouldnt Sam be a member of the Nights Watch first, and a Maester second.
    He would be duty bound to return to the Wall once his training is complete. If not, he could be killed as a traitor to the Nights Watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Sheeeeit

Once you join the Nights Watch that's it, you are sworn in and you don't leave. When he becomes a maester he'll have no choice but to return to the Night's Watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭flazio

One thing that niggles me is the story set up at the end of Series 3 that Theons sister is mounting this great rescue effort, it gets played out in the middle of Series 4, she admits defeat and isn't heard from again. Also, while we were following Brans story to the end of Series 4, what happened the other brother and yer wan who played Tonks in Harry Potter? Thought they were heading for the wall?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

flazio wrote: »
    One thing that niggles me is the story set up at the end of Series 3 that Theons sister is mounting this great rescue effort, it gets played out in the middle of Series 4, she admits defeat and isn't heard from again.
    While in the book there is more on the arc it was cut of convenience basically.
    Also, while we were following Brans story to the end of Series 4, what happened the other brother and yer wan who played Tonks in Harry Potter? Thought they were heading for the wall?
    Even for book readers this is a big question mark; there might be some resolution to it in season 6 however (pure speculation based on some parts of the book developments) but could as well be joining S.S. Abandoned Plotlines as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

flazio wrote: »
    what happened the other brother and yer wan who played Tonks in Harry Potter? Thought they were heading for the wall?

Does anyone actually care about Rickon? That's his name by the way. Personally I keep forgetting he exists at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

JustShon wrote: »
    Does anyone actually care about Rickon? That's his name by the way. Personally I keep forgetting he exists at all.
    He is still an heir to Winterfell. That alone makes him important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

A few things I remember only understanding on my second viewing of the first season are:
    • when we first meet Daenerys she gets into a scalding bath but isn't burned
    • similarly, Dany lifts her dragon eggs out of a fire while travelling with the khalasar and doesn't get burned
    • Doreah, Dany's handmaiden, tells Dany a legend about the origin of dragons. When asked where she heard the story, Doreah replies, "a merchant from Qarth". Doreah, of course, is the handmaiden works with Xaro Xoan Daxos to betray Daenerys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Yeah true, that makes him important but it doesn't make him a compelling character at all. He's "the other Stark kid" or "Bran's brother" to most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Watching season 1 again, and seeing how much Robert hates Targaryans, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Robert, not Tywin, who ordered the Mountain to kill Rhaegar & Elia's children.

One thing that doesn't add up - Cersei tells Catelyn that she (Cersei) lost her first born child to a fever; a 'black haired beauty' who looked just like Robert. She later discusses the child with Robert as well. This contradicts Maggy the Frog's prophecy that she would have 3 children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Watching season 1 again, and seeing how much Robert hates Targaryans, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Robert, not Tywin, who ordered the Mountain to kill Rhaegar & Elia's children.

One thing that doesn't add up - Cersei tells Catelyn that she (Cersei) lost her first born child to a fever; a 'black haired beauty' who looked just like Robert. She later discusses the child with Robert as well. This contradicts Maggy the Frog's prophecy that she would have 3 children.

Unsure how much of a spoiler this is but it's fresh in my mind having just listened to the Hardcore Game of Thrones podcast that deals with it. As far as the history of it goes, Tywin needed something to gain Robert's trust as even though he'd turned against Aerys, so long as the Targ kids lived he would be suspected of still being loyal to them after being Aerys' hand for 20 years so when Robert rocked up to KL he presented the bodies to him to show his loyalty.

Robert would have had a decision to make with regards what to do with them and could have had a decision to make but seeing as how what happened lead to him and Ned falling out it would have been interesting to see how he'd have gone about it. It was definitely Tywin who ordered the deaths though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

And, presuming Bran's injury affects more than just his legs and his present occupation, he is the only one able to carry on the Stark name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭golfball37

Robert famously got injured at the trident and missed the sacking of kings landing. He sent Ned in his stead and Ned was horrified at what the Lannisters did to the city and the children in particular.
    On YouTube history and lore Roberts rebellion tells the story- I haven't read the books

Advertisement