Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT - Computer Science DT228 Question

Options
  • 26-05-2014 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I was wondering about what the DIT CS course is like and how it is approached, such as:

- What language(s) are used in first year?
    - Is there much theory and maths? (If so, what topics do they cover)
    - Is there much focus on "building" things? (Programs, systems, software or otherwise)
    - How do/did you find the course in terms of challenge and interest?

- How is the social life in D.I.T.?
    - What's the goings on in the Netsoc society?

I do H.L. maths and applied maths, so was curious whether much of that would come into the course and if it exceeds their bounds at any stages.

Anything else that relates would be helpful, a bit confused between picking my 1st choice at this stage, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

I just finished up in DT228 this year. Overall I would say that it is a good course. It covers plenty of relevant materials and languages that industry are looking for right now. I would say that the facilities aren't great. Its fine if you have your own laptop, but I wouldn't like to rely on the college computers. Most lecturers are approachable and good at their job. Some are less helpful and generally not up to lecturing in their modules, but these are few and far between.

In first year you will probably learn C programming which will give you a good grasp of more high level programming terms, practices and syntax etc. This is built on in second year to object oriented programming. We also had a look at some HTML and Haskell in first year. Off the top of my head I can't remember all of the modules we done so I'll have to get back to you.

There are two Maths modules in the course, neither of which will be difficult if you do HL maths. You'll fly through them. I done OL for my leaving cert and had no problem with those modules. There isn't much focus in general with maths, unless you're planning on going into games programming and the like?

If you have any other questions, go ahead. I'll have a look through some of my old material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 EmeraldIlser

Thanks for the reply!

Hmm so all procedural programming throughout first year? No worries.

Ah that's not too bad, have done some (basic) games programming before to make a JavaScript physics engine, but can't see myself going down that route.

How is the course assessed? Is it based on continuous assessment on programming / electronics projects and other assignments with end of years exams or in another way?

And somewhat related, is there much emphasis on programming throughout, or would it be expected you're doing it in your own time aside from other work?

Thanks for your time, and help.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Yep pretty much all procedural in first year.

Each module is generally a breakdown of CA (which could be any number of class tests, assignments, team projects etc) and the rest is the exam. First semester exams take place in January (although I heard it could be December this coming year) and the second semester exams are in May. Programming is the only module that is two semesters long in first year. The degree is classified based on an average of your results in fourth year.

There is programming in most modules in some shape or form. You don't have to be a particularly strong programmer, but in your final year you will be generally expected to produce a piece of software as your final year project. There is a lot of languages and technologies covered, but obviously not everything you would ideally like to know will be thought. Either way, the course well prepares you for branching into other languages and technologies if you need/want to.

Advertisement