Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could this be a sign of pregnancy?

Options
  • 23-06-2011 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My periods are usually pretty regular, every four weeks. My last one started on 29th May, and after that my partner and I stopped using condoms because we decided we're ready to start a family. :)

So, today, I got some blood down there, a week early. Except - sorry for being gross - it's not "red" blood like I'd usually have at the start of my period, it's brown and ... sort of sticky and mucusy? (Sorry!) I wouldn't describe it as just "spotting" though, there's quite bit of it. I can't remember this ever happening me before ... could it possibly mean I could be pregnant already? I have two sisters who have been trying for years to get pregnant, IVF etc, so I assumed I'd have the same trouble ...

The thing is though, although we've stopped using condoms, we're not actively trying to get pregnant, we decided to just "see what happens". So when my friend asked me to come for a few drinks with her, I did. :o Ended up having almost two bottles of wine between us! :o I know, that's really bad. But usually when women are pregnant, doesn't their body tell them not to drink alcohol? I'm sure I heard that before? So either I'm not pregnant, or I'm a really bad mommy already ... if I am pregnant, will I have done a lot of damage with the wine? I could never forgive myself! Definitely off alcohol now for the foreseeable future, for as long as it takes til I do get pregnant if I'm not now!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Only way to know if you are pregnant is to do a test, but at a week before your period is due it may still come up negative even if you are pregnant. Wait until you are due your period and test.

With regards to the alcohol, some people go off alcohol when they get pregnant, but not all people do. You won't have done any harm to the baby at this early stage if you are pregnant though. Just be careful in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

A couple of years ago I had a conversation with my midwife, and we were talking about the colour of blood that can come with a period, when you're pregnant etc;

She explained to me that sometimes, if you're not pregnant and you get your period, your body uses it as a "clean out" and that sometimes at the start of your period, especially as you have been sort of trying, the eh, erm, what should I call it... residue can change the colour :)

Having said that though, the only way you will know if you're pregnant is by doing a test. Sorry :o

Advertisement