Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swing changes, how long did it take to see results

• 22-04-2015 11:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭

So im 6 weeks into making swing changes its so f--ng hard to bring it to the course, i practice 3 times a week, hit more balls now that i ve moved to the smurfit course k club (free practice)

i was playing with about -2 degrees out to in and but after a few trackman sessions i decided to rework the swing back to a in to out swing from my youth. My miss was a killer and i had a double miss, either a low starting left and going left, or high right on another fairwway.

Whos made changes and how did it take before it was a natural move and the practice swing was not rehearsed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,422 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

almost a year for me. You just gotta believe in the process :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

About 2 months into a full plane change and only recently its starting to show some results. Like Rikand said above I'm allowing the whole year to see real results on the course.

Frustrating at times though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

A year and then some more.

The pro I go to always says you practice and you play golf i.e. work on the changes when only playing practice rounds or on the range and then when playing just stick to what you know. Eventually the new changes will start appearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I've had about four lessons in the last six months with a great pro who has been changing my swing. At the start he identified what we needed to do and explained that the changes wouldn't happen over night. Six months in I'm very happy with the progress, but it takes time and I'm not there yet. With every lesson he made a change and then let me go away to play and practise with it.

The first round after each lesson was always a horror show but once I trusted that he knew what he was taking about and kept up the practise, I started seeing results. I improved the most when I actually brought the changes to the course rather than the range. I find that the range is a completely sterile, neutral environment with a perfect lie all the time.

A lot of the changes made felt totally alien to me as I'd been doing the wrong thing for so long, thinking it was right. My swing is a lot more neutral now whereas before it was consistently OTT, and I'm glad to see I'm getting much better impact with the ball and a much more consistent ball flight. It'll be a while before I can set my sights on a single digit handicap, but I'll keep plugging away.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GCW

Keano wrote: »

The pro I go to always says you practice and you play golf i.e. work on the changes when only playing practice rounds or on the range and then when playing just stick to what you know. Eventually the new changes will start appearing.

Excellent advice. Got to go with your natural tendency/swing if you're out playing a competition. Otherwise, all over the shop. Problem is it's easy on the range and you have to be able to take it to the course during a comp at some stage...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

GCW wrote: »
    Excellent advice. Got to go with your natural tendency/swing if you're out playing a competition. Otherwise, all over the shop. Problem is it's easy on the range and you have to be able to take it to the course during a comp at some stage...

all too true, tonight played a few holes got it right a few times, hit the range after i played it was to easy to get the move and ball flight i want.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

levitronix wrote: »
    So im 6 weeks into making swing changes its so f--ng hard to bring it to the course, i practice 3 times a week, hit more balls now that i ve moved to the smurfit course k club (free practice)

i was playing with about -2 degrees out to in and but after a few trackman sessions i decided to rework the swing back to a in to out swing from my youth. My miss was a killer and i had a double miss, either a low starting left and going left, or high right on another fairwway.

Whos made changes and how did it take before it was a natural move and the practice swing was not rehearsed

Very similar to what I changed over the winter. Started the change around September and seeing excellent results now. About 2 months in I was in a panic as thought I should never have changed but I knew I needed to change to get to the next level. Changed at 8/9 handicap and down to 6 now and playing the best golf of my 5 years since starting. Hoping to cut another 2 shots off this year, original goal was 5 for the year and almost there already. I still suffer from a double cross at times, I always had a natural fade but changing path makes it harder now. When I try the fade and it doesn't come off the miss can be terrible. Long and left really punishes you, best of luck with the changes. Just don't lose track of why you started and keep telling yourself it'll be worth it when you get there... Because it will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Keano wrote: »

Got the same advice off my club pro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Started to change my swing plane last sept, works in practice, but get a lot fades know when playing golf,
    It gets frustrating but gone to far to go back so this time next year should be good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Horrible advice imo, sounds like the pro wants repeat business. If I commit to a change I commit everywhere.
    Did it with my grip I was hitting the ball 50% shorter after the change but it came right quicker as a result of not reverting back.
    So what if you have a few bad rounds your only fooling yourself and you'll never make the change.
    Karl Morris says if you want to ingrain a change quicker do a lot of your practice before bed. I suppose you end up dreaming of it or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GCW

Horrible advice imo, sounds like the pro wants repeat business. If I commit to a change I commit everywhere.
    Did it with my grip I was hitting the ball 50% shorter after the change but it came right quicker as a result of not reverting back.
    So what if you have a few bad rounds your only fooling yourself and you'll never make the change.
    Karl Morris says if you want to ingrain a change quicker do a lot of your practice before bed. I suppose you end up dreaming of it or something.

Nobody is saying you should go out and revert to your old ways when playing. I think the recommendation is that you just play, however that manifests itself with your swing on the day. It would tie in with the philosophy that when you're playing you're not thinking about your swing too much whereas when you practice, you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Nobody is saying you should go out and revert to your old ways when playing. I think the recommendation is that you just play, however that manifests itself with your swing on the day. It would tie in with the philosophy that when you're playing you're not thinking about your swing too much whereas when you practice, you do.

Listen or read 'Golf is Not a Game of Perfect' by Bob Rotella and he goes into the above idea in a chapter. Do all your practice on the practice ground, whether that's the range or on a course. When you're playing competitive golf you play with whatever swing you show up with on the day. Clears the mind.

He explains it very well and I'd recommend a read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Dance with the one you brought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

1st time out, a year - if I'm being honest the final results were 18 months.
    2nd time out 2 to 3 months.

I think with each change - it becomes less a change so easier.

But the big changes are hard and require a serious number of balls - time , mental effort and time and effort.

For me it was big changes - so it depends how radical a change it it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

My last swing change was to become more left side dominant and make sure I move my left shoulder first.
    If I started hitting off my right during competition I feel it would set me back. I suppose it depends on the change your making.

I do get your point as well just play and pick targets.

My old swing was a result of playing hurling (badly) staying on my right side. Even now when I want to squeeze a bit extra out with the driver it creeps back into my game. I have to keep tabs on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

so i ve had a about 3 sessions last few weeks i think, bit of a injury but back on track, back on trackman again today

numbers were fantastic when i made the right move but not so fantastic when i got path wrong.

still can't bring it to the course , maybe 3 drives a round on the fairway with the right shape and height. think i have it nailed now with my ironplay.
    im managing to stay in the high 70's scoring wise even with 2 penalty drops per round on average, so if get my driving sorted i think i can go low this year:rolleyes:

Advertisement