Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car owner deceased

Options
  • 22-10-2013 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Does anyone know how to change ownership of a car where the owner has recently died. I rang the completely useless Shannon motor office and after 45 minutes of continuing to hang on the phone,they cut me off:mad:. They have plenty of forms but all require a sellers signature.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

You could forge it, nobody checks, to do it correctly get the execetur of his estate to do it. (forgive spelling)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

http://www.donegalcoco.ie/services/informationpoints/roadusers/
    For vehicles registered after 01/01/1993
    Complete back of VLC/VRC with spouses name, address, enter date of sale and enter spouses signature as buyer and forward the certificate to Shannon with copy of death certificate.

Changing ownership to other relatives or persons.
    Legal confirmation of ownership i.e. Solicitors’ letter/letter from the Executor of the will must be submitted along with logbook/VLC before change of ownership can be completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

aujopimur wrote: »
    You could forge it, nobody checks, to do it correctly get the execetur of his estate to do it. (forgive spelling)
    Dodgy advice not welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

Just send a death cert and a letter from the executor of the estate. Had to do it recently when my father died and found the Motor Tax Office in Shannon to be really helpful about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

If all else fails you can submit an affidavit that you now own the vehicle. I had to do this before as my sister sold me her vehicle but lost all the paperwork so this was a cheaper option. You do need to get form signed by solicitor however.

• Advertisement
Advertisement