Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonsilla to DCU commute

Options
  • 15-10-2013 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm just wondering what's this best way to go about this commute from a student point of view.

So far I've been getting the train from Clonsilla to Drumcondra and then the 13/11 bus from there into DCU. The journey itself is no problem, but I'm wondering how to get the cheapest deal.
    Using my Leap Card, I pay 2.30 each way on the train, then 1.40 each way on the bus. That works out at 7.60 a day, or 29.60 a week (I'm in only 4 days a week).
    Is there possibly a cheaper solution I could be using? Student Rambler tickets, weekly tickets, monthly even? I've done the math, but can't come up with anything that can cut the price I currently pay.

I'm just finding it frustrating seeing my balance run out so quickly each week. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Does the 17A from the centre go close to it?

Taken from the Dublin Bus site.
    Student Tickets
    Student 5 Day Rambler €18.30
    Valid for unlimited travel for 5 non consecutive days
    Valid on Dublin Bus scheduled services including Xpresso (excluding Airlink, Nitelink, Tours, Special Events and Private Contract services)
    Student Travelcard required

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Polar101

If you want to keep using the train, you should probably get a monthly short hop ticket, seems to be €108 for students.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/Student-Tickets/

That way you could use public transport on the days you don't go to DCU as well.

If you want the cheapest option, then you probably need to go 'all bus' - which I guess would be a 39/39a to Blanch shopping centre and then a 17a to Ballymun road.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,286 ✭✭✭✭Victor

As you are only travelling 4 days a week, the economics are shifted slightly. However, do you make any trips for hte rest of the week? Do you go into the city centre or elsewhere?

5 or 30 day Rambler tickets would be useful - the days don't need to be consecutive.

Put your exact locations and relevant dates and times into www.a-b.ie and tweak the settings. This will give you the Fastest routes / Routes with the fewest changes / Routes with the least walking between stops, but it might also give you ideas for other routes.

http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_info/fares_matrix_2013.phpe
    Ticket Type Inner Short Hop Rail Short Hop Rail Short Hop Rail + Bus Short Hop Rail + Luas
    Adult 7 Day €32.50 €37.00 €42.40 €??.??
    Adult Monthly - €122.00 €142.00 €161.00
    Student 7 Day €23.50* €25.00* - €37.50
    Student Monthly - €85.00* €108.00 €124.00

Inner Short Hop: Rush & Lusk, Maynooth, Hazelhatch & Celbridge, Bray
    Short Hop: Balbriggan, M3 Parkway, Maynooth, Hazelhatch & Celbridge and Kilcoole

Family one day €17.20 for all rail services in Dublin Short Hop Zone

Rail + Luas + Bus Adult Monthly €198.00

* Also valid on 90/145 Bus to/from Heuston/City Centre

7 day tickets valid Sunday to Saturday, except for Luas, and Luas+Bus, valid 7 days from issue/first use

Note Rail + Luas tickets do exist but they are only available from Iarnród Éireann booking offices.
    Point to Point

Ticket Type D
    Adult Single €2.80
    Adult Smartcard Single €2.30
    Adult Return €5.25
    Adult 3 Day €13.90
    Adult 7 Day €23.50
    Child Single €1.45
    Child Smartcard Single €1.15
    Child Return €2.50
    School Child Smartcard Single €0.70
    Scholar Smartcard Single €1.40

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Snear

The €108 a month for Short Hop Train and Bus seems to be the best option for me. I was originally looking for that, but there's no student Bus and Rail ticket listed under the Bus and Rail tickets on the Dublin Bus website. :confused:

Thanks for the help guys. This probably would have been easier if the irish rail/dublin bus/student travelcard websites were better designed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It's clearly listed on the student tickets page on the Dublin Bus website - it's the last ticket listed:
    http://dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/Student-Tickets/

• Advertisement
Advertisement