Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was Caught Using GF's Dublin Bus Pass

Options
  • 19-10-2013 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

So, whenever my other half goes away on business, I use her annual pass on the bus. Sure why not? I'm always ticked off at their crappy service and high prices anyway. And then...

...heading back from the airport on the Airport Express the ticket inspector arrives. I suspect he was called in because someone else had snuck in with the wrong ticket. Anyway, ultimately this led to me showing the annual pass without the photo ID (her work never issued her one), trying to pass if off as mine, and the instructor taking the ticket off me. Apparently it's in Dublin Bus head office waiting to be picked up, but I gave the instructor my name (stupidly) even though the ticket is registered under hers.

So what now? Does she try to call Dublin Bus and say her ticket was stolen, and face the reissue fine (up to €100), do I come clean and walk into Dublin Bus HQ to try and get it back (which could result in me being fined, or worse)?

Any thoughts/advice/wagging-of-finger would be very welcome

The ideal situation would be for me to be able to walk in there, get the ticket back, and pay an on-the-spot fine for being on a bus without a ticket, but how likely is that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,404 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Usually they would take your address too and issue a fine for travelling without a valid ticket, did the inspector do this?

Technically if she didn't give you permission to use it then you would have "stole it" so she could use this excuse, on the other hand all buses have multiple CCTV cameras covering all parts of the bus and Dublin Bus could if they wanted to issue the CCTV to the Gardaí which might prove additional hassle. She could perhaps say she lost it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

So, whenever my other half goes away on business, I use her annual pass on the bus. Sure why not? I'm always ticked off at their crappy service and high prices anyway. And then...

...heading back from the airport on the Airport Express the ticket inspector arrives. I suspect he was called in because someone else had snuck in with the wrong ticket. Anyway, ultimately this led to me showing the annual pass without the photo ID (her work never issued her one), trying to pass if off as mine, and the instructor taking the ticket off me. Apparently it's in Dublin Bus head office waiting to be picked up, but I gave the instructor my name (stupidly) even though the ticket is registered under hers.

So what now? Does she try to call Dublin Bus and say her ticket was stolen, and face the reissue fine (up to €100), do I come clean and walk into Dublin Bus HQ to try and get it back (which could result in me being fined, or worse)?

Are you Male ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 numbersix99

Usually they would take your address too and issue a fine for travelling without a valid ticket, did the inspector do this?

He took my name and address, yes. But at the time he thought the ticket was mine, and that I didn't have photo ID, so it's in HQ waiting for me to collect it.
    AlekSmart wrote:
    Are you male?
    Yes. GF's Annual pass has no name of identifying details on it. Guess that's why you have to have photo ID with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Oh yes it does, it has a serial number and Dublin Bus know the name, address and employer for every ticket issued

• Registered Users Posts: 49 numbersix99

Oh yes it does, it has a serial number and Dublin Bus know the name, address and employer for every ticket issued
    Oh yeah, of course, but what I meant was the ticket inspector on the bus was not able to access that information. So he knows nothing. But if I were to head to the Dublin Bus HQ and claim it was mine that would obviously not work.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭dublinstevie

Haha u wont get it back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Haha u wont get it back

That's helpful.

I'd just head into hq (edit: with your GF) and tell them you used it without her permission. You did wrong and were caught, better to own up instead of getting the GF in trouble, shes probably p**sed at you enough as is :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Oh yeah, of course, but what I meant was the ticket inspector on the bus was not able to access that information. So he knows nothing. But if I were to head to the Dublin Bus HQ and claim it was mine that would obviously not work.

I would suggest you and your G/F head for Head Office (;)) with €100 under your oxter,just in case...however I suspect that if all appears kosher on the ID front she'll be treated OK.

Life's fulla risks,you decide to take them or not..in this case you took it and (kinda) lost.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 paulgrogan

I'm always ticked off at their crappy service and high prices anyway.

Maybe the prices are a little higher due to fare dodgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

He knows you don't have a CIE ID and that is sufficient to retain the ticket and issue a fine

There is a space on the ticket where the ID number should be entered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

The ideal situation would be for me to be able to walk in there, get the ticket back, and pay an on-the-spot fine for being on a bus without a ticket, but how likely is that?

Actually the ideal situation would be for you to be prosecuted for fraud and for fare dodgeing
    Why should I and others pay our taxes,pay the correct fares for people like you to think it's ok to defraud and do a wrong .
    Shame on you

Advertisement