Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV Distribution advice needed!!

• 05-07-2005 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

I am moving to a new house which has TV points in 7 rooms. The coax cables go to the attic but are not connected to anything. There are 2 coax cables with a dual socket in the living room.

I have a SKY digibox with a working FTA card and will install a TV3/RTE ariel as well. My question is how do I set this up so I can watch RTE/TV3 + SKY channels in any room. I know I can only watch the same sky channel in each room. Any advice on how to do this would be appreicated.

Thanks

Noel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

Just connect the aerial to the RF input on the digibox, then connect the RF out on the Digibox to the input of an 8 set booster from Argus and from there connect the other TVs.

PS if you want to be able to change the Sky channels from other rooms use RF out 2 on Digibox and buy a booster which allows the 9V to travel through it (Such boosters are available from places like Argus, sold for Sky setups). Then all you need is one of those little IR eyes and you can control the Sky stations from wherever ya like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 nhynes57

Thanks for the info.

Just to clarify, I would need one coax cable from the dish to the digibox and one from the ariel also to the digibox. Then one output coax cable to the booster?

How is the booster powered?

Thanks

Noel

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I can see a problem if there are only 2 cables coming to the living room. You need 3, 1 for aerial, 1 for satellite, and one to feed back up to a distribution amp. If you've only 2 cables coming down the conduit, then you'd need a satellite/RF diplexer setup which combines satellite and aerial signals down one cable, where they are seperated again at the bottom.

The distribution amp, which would need to be at least 6 outputs, will need mains power to work. I'm sure it shouldn't be too difficult to get mains power in the attic, maybe your electrician could do this for you (many new homes seem to have a twin socket in the attic specificially for this purpose).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

instead of mains power you could also use a global 8 way amp which alos has the advantage of being compatible with tv links for remote control

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 42 stephene

Similar to the method byte mentioned above and if you can easily get power to the loft, then you could use the Global 8 Way Loftbox and the corresponding Multi Service Wallplate. The Loftbox can combine TV, FM, DAB, CCTV & Satellite onto one down cable and the triplexing wallplate will separate them out in the living room. The multi-service wallplate also includes a connector for the RF2 return cable which goes back to the Loftbox for distribution to other TVs around the house.

The installation diagrams in the links above should help explain how it all works.

• Advertisement
    byte

Tony wrote:
    instead of mains power you could also use a global 8 way amp which alos has the advantage of being compatible with tv links for remote control
    Does the 8way Global amp not require external power also? I've used them some time ago, and it had a small transformer to assist the output of the digibox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

byte wrote:
    I can see a problem if there are only 2 cables coming to the living room.

The set up would work if the 2 coax were terrestrial only and the sky coax comes through in a different place (ie down the outer wall and then through it) Then effectively you have Terestrial down and Terestrial + sky going up. A number of my friends have a set up like this.

byte

The set up would work if the 2 coax were terrestrial only and the sky coax comes through in a different place (ie down the outer wall and then through it) Then effectively you have Terestrial down and Terestrial + sky going up. A number of my friends have a set up like this.
    Yeah, that is true. If that's the case, there is less of a problem! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

byte wrote:
    Does the 8way Global amp not require external power also? I've used them some time ago, and it had a small transformer to assist the output of the digibox.

Yes you may well be right, i've only ever used it with short runs

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

byte wrote:
    Triax do low gain distribution amps with IR by-pass for the magic eyes. These are powered by the 9v out of RF2.

• Advertisement
Advertisement