Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coal / solid state fuel bargains

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

€15 a bag for 40kg of smokeless stove nuggets in Enniscorthy.Ordinary coal is cheaper but not sure of the price,I think it was advertised at about €13 a bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

zerks wrote: »
    €15 a bag for 40kg of smokeless stove nuggets in Enniscorthy.Ordinary coal is cheaper but not sure of the price,I think it was advertised at about €13 a bag.
    That's cheap but when you say ordinary coal what do you mean house coal/polish coal? There's a big difference between the two.

Dairygold co-op €399 for 25 40 kg bags of polish coal ending next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Grate Fuels just outside Arklow are €15 for 40kg of Bord na Mona nuggets. That's per bag so no need to buy a full pallet or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Aenaes wrote: »
    Grate Fuels just outside Arklow are €15 for 40kg of Bord na Mona nuggets. That's per bag so no need to buy a full pallet or anything.

€15 is the going rate for 40 kg bags of bord na mona nuggets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

€15 is the going rate for 40 kg bags of bord na mona nuggets

Not in Arklow. It's €16 or €17 in the town.

Apparently not in Rathnew either if you have to buy 40 bags to get it at €15.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    That's cheap but when you say ordinary coal what do you mean house coal/polish coal? There's a big difference between the two.

Dairygold co-op €399 for 25 40 kg bags of polish coal ending next week.

Didn't pay much attention to the other coal apart from the stuff I wanted as I was tight on time.
    They sell tonne bags of logs also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Didn't pay much attention to the other coal apart from the stuff I wanted as I was tight on time.
    They sell tonne bags of logs also.
    I love the way they say they have tonne bags of firewood :) The bag will hold a tonne of sand but not a tonne of firewood.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I love the way they say they have tonne bags of firewood :) The bag will hold a tonne of sand but not a tonne of firewood.

That was my way to describe them :),the logs are in tonne bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,096 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

That was my way to describe them :),the logs are in tonne bags.

A tonne of what though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Quazzie wrote: »
    A tonne of what though ;)

mostly air ? Do we win a prize ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,096 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

mostly air ? Do we win a prize ?

I've just clipped my toe-nails.

Please send a SAE to:
    Quazzie
    Hairy,
    Nepal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Whats the best price I can hope for for briquettes?
    €7.98 for 2 bales in the local Tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

SmallBalls wrote: »
    Whats the best price I can hope for for briquettes?
    €7.98 for 2 bales in the local Tesco.

I've bought them in 25 bale bundles and they were €4.00 per bale, I've seen them in Tesco AND Aldi @ €4.00 per bale.

Looks like €4.00 is the bottom price around the place (unless you live in Dublin where it seems a couple of suppliers are doing them a bit cheaper)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Morris's DIY in Waterford have 3 bales for 11 Euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,967 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

the carbon taxes have really pushed up the price of coal. sickening when you think china burns as much as we do in a year, in only a few hours. no carbon taxes there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

2smiggy wrote: »
    the carbon taxes have really pushed up the price of coal. sickening when you think china burns as much as we do in a year, in only a few hours. no carbon taxes there.

They have a lot of smog and 700000 die yearly as a result. http://www.industrytap.com/airpocalypse-killing-700000-chinese-a-year-and-millions-more-worldwide/1581

vicwatson wrote: »
    I've bought them in 25 bale bundles and they were €4.00 per bale, I've seen them in Tesco AND Aldi @ €4.00 per bale.

Looks like €4.00 is the bottom price around the place (unless you live in Dublin where it seems a couple of suppliers are doing them a bit cheaper)

The cheapest I've seen in Dublin is €3.55 per bale in grange builders providers on the north side and ABS Building supplies, €3.75 per bale if you buy 4 or more, on the south side.
    But as vic said €4 seems to be the going rate

Briquettes 3 for €10 in ABS until Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Any other daycent offers on Briquettes anybody ?

Sometimes the wood just doesn't cut it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

MugMugs wrote: »
    Any other daycent offers on Briquettes anybody ?

Sometimes the wood just doesn't cut it for me.

4 briquettes for €15 topline arklow and few other deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Just about to do this:

Aldi currently have BNM briquettes at €3.99
    13 bales : €51.87
    Less €10 voucher from Sunday Independent -10 : €41.87

Factor in the cost of paper +2.90 :€44.77

Cost per bale :€3.44

edit
    I actually bought them in Tesco.( just saved me a trip)
    They are 2 bales for €8 at the moment. Bought 14 Used my €10 Aldi voucher and got my clubcard points and a 5 cent off fuel voucher

Briquettes have just become too expensive really.

€4 for a bail is silly money given that I can buy a bag of coal for a little bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭screamer

If you're buying lots of briquettes, you'd be as well off getting onto the factory and getting a load of broken briquettes from them. Cheaper than bailed, and burn just the same, only thing is you have to collect yourself, and not all nice and neatly packaged, convenience costs......

Personally, I buy turf instead of briquettes, but that is just my preference.

screamer wrote: »
    If you're buying lots of briquettes, you'd be as well off getting onto the factory and getting a load of broken briquettes from them. Cheaper than bailed, and burn just the same, only thing is you have to collect yourself, and not all nice and neatly packaged, convenience costs......

Personally, I buy turf instead of briquettes, but that is just my preference.

I live in The North East and buying Turf up here is tough.

You get that bagged rubbish that wouldn;t last a night let alone a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

redhcp wrote: »
    Mod snip

€8 & €10 in Coalisland. Beat that. Post here anytime:).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Any offers in Blanchardstown? Pats turf & Log facebook page seems to be dead

Aldi still selling briquettes at 3.99

ABS still 3 for €10

ABS still 3 for €10

ABS are in Dublin right?

Aldi are in every county in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Any offers in Blanchardstown? Pats turf & Log facebook page seems to be dead

+1 looking for good quality coal in Blanch/Navan Road area???

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    ABS are in Dublin right?

yep Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Just keep an eye as in some places i've seen bales which have 24 briquettes and others that have 22 and even 20. All BNM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hye guys

Pats logs are back up and running in Blanchardstown, they where suppsoed to deliver last night but rang to say some issue....need to get some turf/briquettes/logs quickly. Any bargain out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Not sure if supposed to pull back up this thread or start a new one?

Looking for logs for Stove....I just got one installed last week and dying to try it out :-)

They recommended for the first couple of times just to use logs. I am in Castleknock area

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    Not sure if supposed to pull back up this thread or start a new one?

Looking for logs for Stove....I just got one installed last week and dying to try it out :-)

They recommended for the first couple of times just to use logs. I am in Castleknock area

Ya best to use some kindling and a log or two for the first 3 or 4 fires. Set the fire and allow them to burn out. Ideal to do it now before the cold evening are here.

marvsins wrote: »
    Ya best to use some kindling and a log or two for the first 3 or 4 fires. Set the fire and allow them to burn out. Ideal to do it now before the cold evening are here.

Thanks, yes that was the plan but just wonderign where best to buy logs. Local Woodies have nothing and would probably cost a fortune if they did...

There is local fuel garage but the logs are out in rain so useless.....

I checked on adverts but most people selling large 1 tonne bags and I would need to carry everything by hand out the back....:mad:

Any options? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭RTT

I saw the Applegreen Garage in Clonsilla selling net bags of logs yesterday when I was getting petrol. They looked ok and seemed dry under the shelter. Not sure what price they are. You could give them a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭Wossack

Have always been disappointed with the logs from garages - invariably softwood, and a tad damp imo

Could check with whoever put in your stove and see if they recommend anyone? We get ours from the stove place in rathfarnham (heatco), 10kg bags - but bit of a distance for you

Wossack wrote: »
    Have always been disappointed with the logs from garages - invariably softwood, and a tad damp imo

Could check with whoever put in your stove and see if they recommend anyone? We get ours from the stove place in rathfarnham (heatco), 10kg bags - but bit of a distance for you

Not a local installer so they just said to get logs. Don't know any suppliers in my area.....

Thanks, yes that was the plan but just wonderign where best to buy logs. Local Woodies have nothing and would probably cost a fortune if they did...

There is local fuel garage but the logs are out in rain so useless.....

I checked on adverts but most people selling large 1 tonne bags and I would need to carry everything by hand out the back....:mad:

Any options? Thanks

It actually doesn't take that long to cart them from the bag to where you want them.You'd probably be better off getting the tonne bag as the ones sold in garages are normally useless,they either burn like kindling or are soaking wet.

• Advertisement

It actually doesn't take that long to cart them from the bag to where you want them.You'd probably be better off getting the tonne bag as the ones sold in garages are normally useless,they either burn like kindling or are soaking wet.

Any idea in tonne bag how many fertilizer bags would there be? If you know what I mean...:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Any idea in tonne bag how many fertilizer bags would there be? If you know what I mean...:P

Between 15 and 20, i'd estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Last year I got 2 bags, which I believe were the 1 tonne ones. The attached image is the wood when it was all stacked up in my garage. Hope it helps give you a sense of how much wood it'll be.

b.gud wrote: »
    Last year I got 2 bags, which I believe were the 1 tonne ones. The attached image is the wood when it was all stacked up in my garage. Hope it helps give you a sense of how much wood it'll be.

Sorry I just checked and realised that the bags I got were a cubic metre bag, i.e. 1 metre wide, deep and high. Not sure how this compares to a 1 tonne bag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Better value buying by the fertiliser bag from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

bmm wrote: »
    Better value buying by the fertiliser bag from my experience.

Ya, I would agree. Over on the forestry forum they reckon better value buying in bulk but those ton bags are small enough really and dont hold a lot of firewood.

I reckon about 14 ish of the fertiliser bags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Sorry I just checked and realised that the bags I got were a cubic metre bag, i.e. 1 metre wide, deep and high. Not sure how this compares to a 1 tonne bag

What you have described is a cubic metre. 1 cubic metre = 1 tonne. That tonne takes 25 bags of coal, so would take about 15-17 fertilizer bags of wood due to the bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

Lots of the "ton" bags of firewood that are for sale are smaller than that at
    90 x 90 x 90
    or 90 X 90 x 85
    or 85 X 85 X 85
    (units are cm)

So to the op it depends as well on the size the seller is using

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭RTT

How much did they cost if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement

RTT wrote: »
    How much did they cost if you don't mind me asking?

Being 100% honest I can't remember exactly. Plus it's my uncles sawmill that does it so the price I got it for would be less than retail value :D

Having said that I'll try my best to remember and guess at what retail value might be. We got 2 of the cubic metre bags one was hardwood and the other softwood. The softwood is great for getting the fire going as it burns a bit easier then the hardwood will burn for longer and give off more heat so getting a mix of the two is the best way to go. The price for the 2 together is probably in the region of €200-250. If you just wanted to get 1 the softwood would be cheaper but wouldn't last you as long

Advertisement