Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SKy Digital or Ntl Digital (with SKy Sports)

• 06-07-2005 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭

Which is the best option? I think they are both e50 a month, with Ntl can I watch a different channel in a different room I know i cant with skyy

thanks for your help, I could not find where to post this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Does NTL have interactive features?

Also, NTL digital isn't really a proper digital product as I believe it's a digital signal sent over an analogue network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

well with sky you get the interactive footy, but TBH is more up to yourself whichever is cheaper for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

NTL has no interactice features that I'm aware of, plus it seems to go down every so often for hours at a time.

Does NTL have interactive features?

Also, NTL digital isn't really a proper digital product as I believe it's a digital signal sent over an analogue network.

Well TBH if its supplied to your home in digital format requiring a decoder its a digital service, the only difference is NTL relays what they get from sky to you, so if you like to be fully digital and be independent go with Sky. They may be dearer but they offer better channel line up bar UTV and CH 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

with Ntl can I watch a different channel in a different room I know i cant with sky?

• Advertisement

Sandals wrote:
    with Ntl can I watch a different channel in a different room I know i cant with sky?

If you mean a different digital channel you will need 2 decoders, 1 in the other room, but you can watch another basic analog channel in another room

Ok thanks thats exactly what i wanted to know

I want to go with Ntl I think so I can get their broadband and then use voip (blueface) through the modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Also worth bearing in mind is that I've always found NTL a pain to deal with. But Sky have always been very helpful.

But getting a dish installed could be a hassle if you are in rented accomadation. And also Sky has a silly rule where you have to have your decoder connected to a phone line for the first year of your contract. So running a phone cable could also be a bit of hassle.

Sandals wrote:
    Ok thanks thats exactly what i wanted to know

I want to go with Ntl I think so I can get their broadband and then use voip (blueface) through the modem.

Well go that route, if its convienient for you, after all you will be saving on phone calls with VOIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

Sparky_S wrote:
    If you mean a different digital channel you will need 2 decoders, 1 in the other room, but you can watch another basic analog channel in another room

NTL charge 5Euro a month for the 2nd decoder. Not bad value if you have a sports fan and a movie/soap fan living together - saves a lot of bother :D

Also handy for the old broadband......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I have Sky Sports on NTL and from watching Sky Sports in friends houses who have Shy Digital i would definitely go with Sky Digital if it you wish to have the interactive features. On the other side of the coin I would be lost without my NTL cable feed into my room so if you want the brill interactive features go with Sky, if you're not bothered by them go with NTL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭Trampas

U get Setanta free with NTL and not with Sky(€10 extra).

Sky for interactive and more channels.

NTL for other room tv for free.

Sky is good if single. if at home with parents go with NTL

Ok thanks everyone, the extra room really is the key, so do you know how long it will take to set up?

The longest wait will be for the guy to turn up and install.

You could have asked this on any 2 of the 3 ICDG (Irish cable and Digital Guide) boards where I mod

<
    Click under my user name to have a look

But yeah NTL sounds like the deal for you.
    For threads on it search ICDG-cable/mmds :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

get Sky+ and screw that multi channel crap. stick up an aerial for the Irish channels and mutiroom view those

Go Mossy :D my fellow ICDG mod :D

He's right you know sky plus is the cheese :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sky is much more expensive than NTL.
    Sky interactive is quite cool, but the price isn't worth it imo.

PHB wrote:
    Sky is much more expensive than NTL.
    Sky interactive is quite cool, but the price isn't worth it imo.

Nonsense, they sky is 2 euro cheaper if you want sky sports, check out thread titles before posting.

PHB wrote:
    Sky is much more expensive than NTL

a load of crap
    with ntl you must also pay for analogue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I asked the same question before

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=273086

So the signal transmission on SKY isn't that good?

I have a slight problem giving more money to Murdock especially since Irish broadcast laws and regs can be ignored. I don't want the Irish TV market to be purely an annex of the UK didn't we gain or freedom at some point.

Oh God I am liberal hippy why can't I watch TV in peace. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

For the love of God, don't get NTL.
    Our box keeps crashing all the time for one.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Sandals wrote:
    Which is the best option? I think they are both e50 a month, with Ntl can I watch a different channel in a different room I know i cant with skyy

thanks for your help, I could not find where to post this.

Assuming you're not looking at getting an mds install of NTL, i'd recomend getting it. imo NTL is Sky without a lot of the sheeite channels you'll never watch. Plus if your on a cable network, you won't have a dirty ugly sattelite dish hanging out of your house.

Another Plus is you get extra basic channel packages for other tvs on NTL for feck all each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Sky Sky Sky Sky Sky.

Why don't you get Sky+ instead of the normal box as well?

Reasons why I like Sky and hate NTL:

1. Sky has the red button (yay for interactiveness!)
    2. NTL has a really really REALLY crappy remote, I hate using NTL remotes! At least Sky's one work

In fact, I would get Sky over NTL just because of the remote, because I hate the NTL remote so much.

My boyfriend's parents have NTL in their house - they have the older NTL remote (the larger one, tiz kinda silvery and blue I think). It's a crap remote - trying to use it to browse is bloody difficult!

My boyfriend has NTL in his new place and the decoder he got was the newer one (it's a lot smaller than the old NTL decoder), and the remote is also tiny (small grey one). Tiz impossible to use, the buttons never press right. I hate it!

Zoom on down to my parents house where we have Sky, yay - remote controlness with ease :D

The only thing really is that Sky doesn't have UTV or Channel4, but if you wanted these, you could just get the basic cable option for €10 a month (free for the first year if you're a first-time connectioner)

I keep thinking of more things to add (hence all the editing!). One last item, the NTL box keeps crashing, and each time I switch on the TV, it has to restart itself. Sky never does that.

Viva la Sky!

So the signal transmission on SKY isn't that good?

i get perfect signal on my Sky box

ntl kept cutting out at the most stupid times when i had it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

SKY

4 times more channels
    A remote control that works
    Real people on the other end of the phone
    Interactive tv
    ADD CHANNELS feature
    8 day Electronic Program Guide
    BBC Scotland/London/Wales etc
    SKY+
    keep your dish and rx after 12 months no cost
    option to add UK card ITV2 FIVE CH4 ITV1 + regions
    Box office ppv movies
    3 extra movie channels Horror/Bad/True
    SKY in extra rooms via a quad LNB inexpensively
    autoview reminder
    great starter way to discover the world of satellite :)

NTL

change channel by pressing remote control for 2 minutes
    grow tired quickly of limited choice
    wonder incessantly how anybody could design such a crap epg
    talk to an answering machine
    take a degree in maths to understand your ever changing bill :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Pal wrote:
    SKY

4 times more channels
    A remote control that works
    Real people on the other end of the phone
    Interactive tv
    ADD CHANNELS feature
    8 day Electronic Program Guide
    BBC Scotland/London/Wales etc
    SKY+
    option to add UK card ITV2 FIVE CH4 ITV1 + regions
    Box office ppv movies
    3 extra movie channels Horror/Bad/True
    SKY in extra rooms via a quad LNB inexpensively
    autoview reminder :)

4 times, mostly crap shopping channels.

NTL's remote works just fine.

CS does suck.

Annoying Interactive promts, bbci worse than ceefax, Wimbeldon/Sky News Active are the only real upsides, the rest is money making ****.

No real advantage of add channels, BBC3/4 are already on NTL's epg.

Other regions show 97% of the same crap on BBC NI.

Sky+ is an option, even at that it's very expensive.

Good point.

Illegal, but still expensive way to get those channels, plus the annoyance of card swapping. UTV and Channel 4 are already on NTL's epg.

Expensive PPV, no thanks, Sky Movies does the trick.

No MGM movies, plus I've yet to see a decent film on those channels.

Sky multiroom inexpensive???? €15 a month, a complete rip-off, NTL €5 a month.

NTL has autoview.

Well it's easy to cut Sky down to its correct size.

4 times, mostly crap shopping channels.
    except for all the +1 and docs and sports and foreign language and music

NTL's remote works just fine.
    oh no it doesn't. there's no backup key. moving about is messy

CS does suck.
    we agree

Annoying Interactive promts, bbci worse than ceefax, Wimbeldon/Sky News Active are the only real upsides, the rest is money making ****.
    games anyone ? golf ? champions league ? I could go on

No real advantage of add channels, BBC3/4 are already on NTL's epg.
    I follow Celtic. BIG advantage to get scottish football

Other regions show 97% of the same crap on BBC NI.
    maybe. 90% at a guess for me

Sky+ is an option, even at that it's very expensive.
    we agree

Good point.
    can't remember what that was

Illegal, but still expensive way to get those channels, plus the annoyance of card swapping. UTV and Channel 4 are already on NTL's epg.
    It's not expensive and yes UTV/C4 is one thing the NTL box has. try tuning in STV into your NTL box. EXACTLY WHAT IS ILLEGAL ?

Expensive PPV, no thanks, Sky Movies does the trick.
    it's optional. it's non existant on NTL

No MGM movies, plus I've yet to see a decent film on those channels.
    my missus watches true movies all the time. sad I know but...

Sky multiroom inexpensive???? €15 a month, a complete rip-off, NTL €5 a month.
    sky in another room is rental free if you use a dual LNB and a box Also NDS now emulates on a Dragon CAM too !

NTL has autoview.
    how many days ?

Well it's easy to cut Sky down to its correct size
    I don't think you did. sorry.
    I have both systems that's my opinion. No axe to grind.
    just reckon NTL is too finite for me

except for all the +1 and docs and sports and foreign language and music
    +1 channels don't appeal to me, it's mostly more average quality channels, don't get me wrong, it has some extra ones that are good, eg: Challenge/FX

oh no it doesn't. there's no backup key. moving about is messy
    It doesn't really need one, plus, with NTL you can browse (search and scan) going up by 100 epg possitions. And return to the previously viewed channel, with the touch of one button.

games anyone ? golf ? champions league ? I could go on
    Games cost extra, I think.

I follow Celtic. BIG advantage to get scottish football
    Setanta Sports would be good for you, included free on NTL's basic analogue and digital packs. Sadly a subscription is required on DSat.

It's not expensive and yes UTV/C4 is one thing the NTL box has. try tuning in STV into your NTL box. EXACTLY WHAT IS ILLEGAL ?
    it's cheap if you get a friend/relative to send you one, only £20, but ebay is much dearer, one ftv online shop sells these for £70, still a bit much. Free to View cards are intended for UK boxes only.

it's optional. it's non existant on NTL
    True but for the 2 years I had the PPV option, I never once used it.

sky in another room is rental free if you use a dual LNB and a box Also NDS now emulates on a Dragon CAM too !
    Do you still need a Sky Viewing card for that?

how many days ?
    3 days, they say, but the most mine worked was 1 day.

I don't think you did. sorry.
    I have both systems that's my opinion. No axe to grind.
    just reckon NTL is too finite for me

I still think NTL has a number of advantages over Sky, hopefully the new crowd will improve the existing cable network.

Pal wrote:

Is that true? can I keep my dish and box from old house, can I do anything with them like freeveiw? if so what channels can u get?

• Advertisement

round cable.
    we can agree to differ.
    horses for courses and all that.

keeping the box and receiver after 12 months.
    yes
    it is yours.

move house
    do what you like
    you will need to acquire a SKY FTV card though to get a decent lot of channels otherwise you only get the upside down trick ones.
    (somebody else can explain that)

stick in a Tesco clubcard or any plastic card and get the FTA stuff but that's not a lot

if so what channels can u get?
    there's a link somewhere in this thread.
    obviously you wont get pay movies or pay sports but theres lots you will pick up

still it's free

best bet is a UK FTV card

dozens of threads about them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

I'm about to ditch NTL (MMDS) to go to Sky+. Luckily, I have a brother-in-law in the UK has a spare old digibox he's going to sell me for peanuts and he's going to order me a UK FTV card to go with it. So, not only will I get the UK channels on that, but it will go someway to being a multiroom option for us with all the Sky channels on the subscribed digibox.

Obviously, it will cost more for Sky+ than NTL Digital Choice, but we'll plump for the movies channels and save costs on DVD rentals instead. Since we've had a baby in the family, it's increasingly hard to rent movies anyway - I've often ended up having to pay for a 2nd night, or else returning them unwatched after our viewing attempts were scuppered!

With Sky+, we'll be able to choose when we watch stuff.

My dad now wants to get Sky so I have these questions,
    Where can I order?
    If I get sky plus can I keep my existing box (had for over 2 years) and use it to set up for free (ilegaly maybee) in another room, if so how
    how long will it take?
    Will I have to connect it to a phone line?
    How do I get utv and channel 4 with a uk card I dont understand?

thank you.

edit also is it possible to get a signal sender and reciever to watch and change channel in another room? who much would it cost? and where could I get one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I don't know if this is an issue any longer, I've had NTL digital with sports package about 3 years ago, then switched to Sky, now better off without any of them.

When I had NTL, the Sky Sports Extra channel was not included, and you couldn't get it in any way or form. I was totally bummed because I got the Sky Sports package to watch NFL, and the games were live only on SSX.

Maybe someone can confirm that SSX is now available through NTL digital. And don't tell me to look at their site, because it was on their website when I signed up, but it wasn't on the EPG. I called customer care and they said the website was wrong, they never advertised SSX as part of their sports package, yadda-yadda-yadda...

Cheers,
    JP

JoyPad wrote:
    Maybe someone can confirm that SSX is now available through NTL digital.

Yes it is.

Advertisement