Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving house - Move dish or new sub?

Options
  • 06-07-2005 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

I'm moving house in 4 weeks and I'm wondering what to do about my sky setup. I currently have:

Sky dish & quad LNB.
    Panasonic box with Sky subscription.
    Panasonic box with FTV card.
    RTE aerial.
    TV3 aerial.

As the move will be temporary (until our new house is built - approx 8 months) I'm not bothered about putting up the RTE/TV3 aerial. I just want my dish + sky sub + FTV setup.

So my question is should I take up sky as a new customer (I was a customer for over a year so the current equipment is mine). I could sell the current dish & digibox to offset new install cost. Or should I pay someone to move/install the whole lot?

Any recommendations for installers in the Galway area?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

dont bother getting a new sub, as it will be a contract for a year.
    instead get a new sub when you finally move into your new place (and get a sky plus deal, i recommend it. comes witha quad lnb so you can offer installer a brown envelope of cash to connect your existing boxes)

use a different bank account or credit card to make payments to sky, and coupled with your new address you are a new customer! and therefore eligible for the advertised special new connection offers

this is what i did, but i only had 1 box and i got sky+ with multiroom as they offered me a second standard skybox free. so now i have sky+ and multiroom and an ftv box.

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Dave

If the move is only temporary, then go with the new sub when you move into the new gaff.

In the meantime, take down the dish (it ain't that hard, just make sure to power off the boxes first), and install in the new location. It doesn't particularly need to go on the wall, I have a friend who's mounted his on the fence in the back garden, although you obviously need line of sight to do it; and you will need to live with the training cables.

The hardest part is finding the signal, just look for the general direction from a neighbours, borrow a sat finder (I have one if you need it - it's the Lidl job, but it worked perfect for me ;) ) and bobs your uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

re: temp rented house

i had to endure crappy aerial quality rte1, 2 and tv3 for over a year while i waited for my house to be built. and yes, your build time WILL NOT RUN TO SCHEDULE to take this into account

originally build was supposed to be 6 months so i didnt bother with sky

so bear that in mind when you decide what to use in your temp house.

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

dmeehan wrote:
    your build time WILL NOT RUN TO SCHEDULE

So true.... :(

Advertisement