Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which Passat is best ???

Options
  • 25-10-2014 6:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41

Hi

Which car does anyone know is best - from an economical and reliability point of view , basing it on the 2007 - 2008 model :

The VW Passat 1.9 tdi , 5 speed gearbox

Or

The VW Passat 2l tdi , 6 speed gearbox ?

Or is there a better one . . . .or are they both cap ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

I just bought a Passat today! :)

Though it is the 1.6 FSI petrol. A lot of folks I read talking about them say to get the 1.4 TSI or get the 2.0 diesel.

Hope that helps? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 BattyJoe

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    I just bought a Passat today! :)

Though it is the 1.6 FSI petrol. A lot of folks I read talking about them say to get the 1.4 TSI or get the 2.0 diesel.

Hope that helps? :)

Thanks for that . Hope you have Years of Pleasurable Driving.

Will the petrol not be expensive to run . . . .or will you be only doin low miles ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

BattyJoe wrote: »
    Thanks for that . Hope you have Years of Pleasurable Driving.

Will the petrol not be expensive to run . . . .or will you be only doin low miles ?

Low miles here. Way too few to justify a diesel. Plus the worry of the PDP thing (or whatever it is called) that everyone goes on about with diesels. Petrol was (I hope) then sensible choice for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

BattyJoe wrote: »
    Hi

Which car does anyone know is best - from an economical and reliability point of view , basing it on the 2007 - 2008 model :

The VW Passat 1.9 tdi , 5 speed gearbox

Or

The VW Passat 2l tdi , 6 speed gearbox ?

Or is there a better one . . . .or are they both cap ???

For me it's the 2.0 TDI. It's more refined but has it's problems. Pre 2008 the PD engine suffered from injector trouble which was replaced by VW under warranty. I had one for 6 years which were trouble free with the exception of injectors, steering column (All Passat models). The electric parking brake can give trouble. I replaced the switch on mine which was a cheap fix but I believe the callipers give trouble also.
    Post 2008 VW introduced the CR engine which I believe gives very little trouble.
    The key to keeping an engine in good shape in my opinion is to stick to regularly servicing and proper oil so full documented history is a must for any of these engines.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 BattyJoe

thanks for that,

would it be the same storey for audi engines? did they change in 2008 also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Audi didn't change the engines over from PD to CR until the A4 model changed. So the 2005 to 2008 old shape A4 would still have PD engines whereas the 2008 onwards newer shape A4 would have the CR engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

1.9 TDI every time for me. But, if the 2.0 TDI was the common rail unit (introduced in mid-2008), then that would easily win - 103 bhp (which is all the 1.9 TDI has) is anaemic in such a big car. You really should get the 2.0 TDI CR if the funds permit, it has a lot more power and will make it a much nicer car to drive.

Advertisement