Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Argentina guaranteed top of group?

• 23-09-2007 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭

Hi,

does anyone know if Argentina are guaranteed to finish top of their group now?

thanks!
    Stephen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭webbie

Hi,

does anyone know if Argentina are guaranteed to finish top of their group now?

thanks!
    Stephen

No they are not, but if they can get a minimum of a bonus point against Ireland then they will be top.

France will most likely get to 15 points by beating Georgia and getting bonus so Argentina would need 1 more point to draw level with them and would then win the group since they beat France.

However given the way Ireland are playing I think a bonus for Argentina is minimum they will get against us (more likely to get 4 points for win and maybe even bonus as well) so they are certainly very likely to top group.

Unfortunately for me since I am going to 2nd semi final that probably means SA v Argentina whereas when I bought them I was thinking it would be France (which would be some atmosphere) or maybe Ireland (which would be incredible) hadn't really considered Argentina winning group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

No Argentina are on 14, France on 10, Ireland on 9 so if Argentian lose without a bonus point and France win with one then France will go to 15. If Argentina lose with the bonus point and France win with one, they're both on 15 then Argentina will top the group on the head to head basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Yeah, who would have thought it, but when I saw the bookies giving 20/1 for it I had to have a shot!
    webbie wrote:
    No they are not, but if they can get a minimum of a bonus point against Ireland then they will be top.

France will most likely get to 15 points by beating Georgia and getting bonus so Argentina would need 1 more point to draw level with them and would then win the group since they beat France.

However given the way Ireland are playing I think a bonus for Argentina is minimum they will get against us (more likely to get 4 points for win and maybe even bonus as well) so they are certainly very likely to top group.

Unfortunately for me since I am going to 2nd semi final that probably means SA v Argentina whereas when I bought them I was thinking it would be France (which would be some atmosphere) or maybe Ireland (which would be incredible) hadn't really considered Argentina winning group.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Hopefully Argentina will get to the semis. Then that pack of langers at the IRB will have no choice but to let them into the 6 nations or the Tri nations.
    6 nations preferably, as all their main players are based in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

jayteecork wrote:
    Hopefully Argentina will get to the semis. Then that pack of langers at the IRB will have no choice but to let them into the 6 nations or the Tri nations.

and you'll get to see Hernandez up close eh ;)

They've offered to take part in the 6 Nations basing themselves in Spain but surely they could base themselves in France seeing as the French crowds have provided a great atmosphere at games. With 7 teams there will also "rest" week to combat the extra game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭webbie

jayteecork wrote:

I agree, and the way they are playing they could go all the way to the final. SA looked very shaky against Tonga yesterday, if they loose a couple of their first team they could struggle, and if Argentina win group it would mean NZ have France in QF and probably Australia in SF and we know what their world cup record is against those teams. So who knows Argentina could go all the way.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

webbie wrote:
    I agree, and the way they are playing they could go all the way to the final. SA looked very shaky against Tonga yesterday, if they loose a couple of their first team they could struggle, and if Argentina win group it would mean NZ have France in QF and probably Australia in SF and we know what their world cup record is against those teams. So who knows Argentina could go all the way.

If Hernandez stays fit they'll win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Pinetree Boy

jayteecork wrote:
    If Hernandez stays fit they'll win it.

You have to be kidding. One win against a very bad French side!! Not one of the teams in this poolwill be sending shivers down the SH teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Hi. nice to see this support for my country. I deeply regret Ireland may not make it to the quarter finals as I wanted the french out.
    Who knows, maybe Georgia gives us all a hand :)

Advertisement