Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argentina for Tri-Nations or Six-Nations?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Pinetree Boy

I have no problem with Argies in the Tri-Nations. It is becoming a little boring anyway but I would not like to see individual players in the Super 14 Franchise sides. There is enough player depth in NZ without needing them and local players need the chance. Pacific Island players do notneed to be available for the ABs to play but they are all NZ residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ivuernis

Yes but that just ain't gonna happen. Argentina's problem is geography. It's in the arsehole of nowhere, gazillions of miles away from the rest of rugby civilisation. It is not feasible to base say two super fourteen teams in Argentina and have them play on the other side of the world, literally (it doesn't look like this on an Atlas but get a globe) So their players, for the foreseeable future, will have to be based with existing club sides in other countries.

It's the standard atlas projection which skews the real distances between the southern hemispheres countries and not the globe view. Buenos Aires is actually closer (but not by much) to Auckland and Sydney than Johannesburg is. However, I guess adding another country in the southern hemisphere just adds too much air miles for everybody and as you say NZ and OZ immigration rules would make it difficult for Argentineans to play Super-14 with the exception of SA.

On a similar topic I remember reading earlier this year that the SA Super-14 teams might prefer to play in the European Cup as the distances are a little less and the time-zone is more favorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

ivuernis wrote:
    Argentina should included in an expanded Tri-Nations as they are a southern hemisphere team and if that were to happen I imagine it would only be natural to see their players gradually end up playing for Super 14 teams which would render the whole basis of their participation in an expanded Six Nations moot.

and is that what has happened with the Pacific Islanders? as already stated a lot of their players have to renounce their nationality if they want to play in oz or nz as would probably be the case for the Argentinans. So their players playing for Super 14s teams would actually be detrimental to Argentina's national game

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ivuernis

jsb wrote:
    and is that what has happened with the Pacific Islanders? as already stated a lot of their players have to renounce their nationality if they want to play in oz or nz as would probably be the case for the Argentinans. So their players playing for Super 14s teams would actually be detrimental to Argentina's national game

The ARU in the only Super-14 union which actually prohibits foreign players from playing in their S14 teams and they are considering changing this after a bad showing in last seasons S14.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

While a 6 Nations berth based in spain is the the easiest short term solution in the short term for the argies, it would not really be sustaiinable in the longer term.

The sustainable option in the long term is the inclusion of the Argentinians based from home in the tri nations. With the addition of a couple of Argentinina professional teams playing in the super 14. The major sticking point here is the opposition of the Argie RFU to professionalism in the domestic game. Until this changes I don't see how anything can happen about the latter scenario.

Why should the SANZAR unions allow their own super 14 teams to be packed with Argentinians to the detriment of their own player development? Remember these are not clubs like in England or France but are controlled by their respective unions. There would be an outcry here if the same thing were to happen to our provincial sides.

• Advertisement
Advertisement