Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to get to Zakopane from Krakow

Options
  • 19-11-2013 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭

Heading to Krakow in January and going to Zakopane from there. What is the best way to get there? Where would I get the transport from?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Get the bus. It's much quicker than the train.
    http://www.inyourpocket.com/poland/krakow/arrival-transport/by-bus/Krakow-Bus-Station_16992v

The bus station is behind the train station, if you've been to Krakow before. The train station is where the train from the airport leaves you in to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

OakeyDokey wrote: »
    Heading to Krakow in January and going to Zakopane from there. What is the best way to get there? Where would I get the transport from?

Thanks.

Are you aware of the weather in January in Krakow and Zakopane?
    if you go there for shor lt period then i would take into consideration car rental service. Not from major companies though because you will pay a lot. I might have few recommendations. Anyways trains and buses might not be very reliable in January.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 47 lilka

Small Train takes you right into krakow from just outside airport.

15minutes on that and you are in krakow centre ie last stop, which is main train station and conveniently the bus station is located right there...

Now fun begins, a bus will take you from there to zakopane.... Haven't had the pleasure but have gone half the distance numerous times from the bus station and it took anything from 2 hours to 4 hours.... Don't forget that's half distance so... Do the maths

Am pretty sure there is no other real option with the exception of car rental which is actually quite expensive in Poland

Ps if getting the bus don't drink any liquid before you get on.... They don't seem to do pit stops

Happy to be corrected if anyone knows more

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 47 lilka

15minutes on that and you are in krakow centre ie last stop, which is main train station and conveniently the bus station is located right there...

Now fun begins, a bus will take you from there to zakopane.... Haven't had the pleasure but have gone half the distance numerous times from the bus station and it took anything from 2 hours to 4 hours.... Don't forget that's half distance so... Do the maths

Am pretty sure there is no other real option with the exception of car rental which is actually quite expensive in Poland

Ps if getting the bus don't drink any liquid before you get on.... They don't seem to do pit stops

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If you're going for skiing I'd seriously consider heading to Jasna just over the border in Slovakia- Zakopane is a tiny ski field and you'll be bored of it after 2 days whereas Jasna is a fair bit bigger and has a lot more variety and isn't that difficult to reach from Krakow. Loads of Polish people bypass Zakopane and head to Jasna which says it all really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Lots of tour operators offer trips to Zakopane. Same guys who offer trips to Auschwitz/ Salt Mines, you'll see them around the train station or in tourist offices.
    I found public transport to be fine in the area in general (In snowy February), I got a local bus to Auschwitz and got the train back from Ozwecim. No delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

lilka wrote: »

Once you arrive at the bus station, it's easy to get the bus to Zakopane. You can buy the ticket on the bus. Just pop into the information/ticket office and they'll point you to the right bus lane number. The ticket is bought on the bus.

Advertisement