Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's happened to o'gara

Options
2»

Comments

if EOS hadn't alienated Humphries, at least there would be a decent option for cover...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

glasso wrote:
    if EOS hadn't alienated Humphries, at least there would be a decent option for cover...

I think to be fair that Humphries has his best days behind him. He was a great player but one strong tackle and he'd be fcuked I reckon. He only extended his Ulster contract because Wallace is away with the squad and McCall wanted him to stay on (obviously anticipating a lengthy Irish stay in the World Cup :eek: , otherwise he'd be retired by now, simple as that. That of course is no reason why Wallace couldn't be tried out. Fair enough, he is no Dan Carter but remember the game against the Pacific Islands recently. He performed great there. He deserves a chance I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

I watched the game again yesterday and was shocked at the amount of times O'Garas touchline kicks were caught and thrown quickly by the French. Their positioning was excellent. His kicking was a tad better than the two previous matches, but on the 3 or 4 times the above happened we lost any positional advantage. Still, he has to be axed for the next game.

Anyone agree with Franno's idea of BOD at out-half?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

moe_sizlak wrote:
    well of course the rumours are true about o gara , were they not he could sue there ass , the amount mentioned is probably exagerated but to say its completeley intrue is naieve in the extreme , no smoke without fire en all

that he , the coach and all surrounding the team is denying such allegations is not only predictable but completely understandable
    were they to say , its true then it would take the focus of the job in hand and on to the o gara gambling scandal

This no smoke without fire attitude is just typical of Irish people and what has perpetuated this mess in the first place. All the “it’s probably not true but ...”, emails doing the rounds over the past week. Even if any of it were remotely true it is not a "scandal" it still his own private business.

Perhaps the reason that he failed to "sue there ass" :rolleyes: has something to do with the fact that French libel law is completely different to the Irish equivalent? But I am guessing that as basic spelling and punctuation is beyond your grasp, you have probably failed to consider this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

O'Gara has had total nightmare of a game on Friday, but it was better than some of his other games in this world cup tbh. Which tells its own story.

But we have no real backup. Our sub 10, Wallace, does not play there for Ulster, he plays first center for them. So only gets game time at 10 when he plays for Ireland [2 or 3 times over a couple of years!]. I remain to be convinced about him as a international 10 anyway tbh - he had one good game against a minnow, and nothing apart from that, which I have seen anyway.

Its one of O'Sullivans big issues, is that he has not developed backup talent at all at lots of positions..

I also think its *insane* to play BO'D, or anyone who has not played there, at 10. Out Half is a very technical and difficult position at international level, and just because you are good at one position, does not mean you will be good at another one. BO'D is 29, and has far to many bad habbits at this stage :) We need to get someone in his early/mid 20's and groom him for 4 years time IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,120 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You can say that Wallace isn't good, but O'Gara's form is cr** at the moment and to say he is handling pressue is a joke. I suppose he may be handling it better than the ball :rolleyes:
    O'Gara has always relied on his kicking game, he can't tackle and he will never make a scintilating run, but up to now at least he could kick.

Even if Wallace is not great, he should have been played during one of the other matches, but EOS will not make changes.
    Jeeze if EOS was in charge of Scotland, he would have played his best 15 against NZ just to keep the score down, rather than see the bigger picture and rest players or challenge both the fringe players and starting regulars to step upto the mark.
    Looking at current form, I think Munster are going to be worrying about halfback pairings for the coming matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Eddie should have got Geraghty before the English did. From all accounts the man considers himself Irish. Even played U-16's for Ireland. Just one of Eddies many failings as Ireland coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

old boy wrote:
    imo o gara carried a leg onto last nights game, going on to the pitch he semed to be fovouring it, also the tv shot of him going on to the train showed him to be carrieng the right leg, the power to be are the culprits, who do they offer as competition, paddy wallace, the leinster guy does not qualify, the guy from the west well dont ask for the moment,

ROG deffo was favouring one leg, I was in the 13th row behind them as they defended in the 1st half and the people arounud me deffo noticed an injury to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Aldini98

Someone should look at O'Connell never mind O'Gara. POC was disgracefully poor the other night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Aldini98 wrote:
    Someone should look at O'Connell never mind O'Gara. POC was disgracefully poor the other night.

He was dreadfull. And we still get all these Munster heads calling for him to be instated as captain. The man can't even organise our line out let alone the whole team.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

MikeHoncho wrote:
    Eddie should have got Geraghty before the English did. From all accounts the man considers himself Irish. Even played U-16's for Ireland. Just one of Eddies many failings as Ireland coach.

Well I'm sorry but that is just is complete crap. Shane Geraghty chose to play for England over Ireland.
    Shane Geraghty on his selection for England:

"There was a big choice to be made, one that would shape the rest of my rugby career, so I sought advice from the people I respect. One of them was Mike Catt, an inspirational figure for me for as long as I can remember. He said: 'Look, you're very young. Young people want it all, and they want it now. But be patient, think it through very carefully and don't jump until you're sure.' I took his advice and chose England. I'm as certain as I can be that I've done the right thing."

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

Except for Easterby the forwards were poor and the back line patterns are so flat it's hard to see how O'Gara could find a rhythm or play well at the moment.

EOS peaked the team 6 months too early.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

the rumours about o gara are true but there are many other well known sports personalitys who i wont name in this country who are chronic gamblers aswell

Advertisement