Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lisbon

• 23-07-2014 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭

Heading to Lisbon at the end of August and wondering if anyone has any tips or recommendations regarding nightlife, food & drink, and general things to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Daisy78

jiltloop wrote: »
    Heading to Lisbon at the end of August and wondering if anyone has any tips or recommendations regarding nightlife, food & drink, and general things to do?

Was there about a month ago and was surprised how much I liked it. I definitely recommend taking the train to Cintra....its a beautiful town on the coast, very picturesque with an amazing castle and palace (where the Portuguese royal family used to spend their summers). It has some lovely boutiques and restaurants to spend your time in as well. Taking a tram to st georges castle in lisbon city centre is also a must do. Buy some pastries beforehand to enjoy with the amazing view from the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Daisy78 wrote: »
    Was there about a month ago and was surprised how much I liked it. I definitely recommend taking the train to Cintra....its a beautiful town on the coast, very picturesque with an amazing castle and palace (where the Portuguese royal family used to spend their summers). It has some lovely boutiques and restaurants to spend your time in as well. Taking a tram to st georges castle in lisbon city centre is also a must do. Buy some pastries beforehand to enjoy with the amazing view from the top.

Yeah I saw Sintra on a travel programme a while back and it looks stunning. Thanks for the info. I will definitely visit those spots. What about nightlife? Is there are particular areas or bars that you would recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I was in Lisbon in April and have to say I loved it also, very laid back city, great weather and views but not absolutely swarming with tourists and very cheap.

The castle in Alfama (Castelo de Sao Jorge) is worth a look. It's mostly just views of the city but it's pretty big and you can explore and it's not too expensive. Probably the best views out of all the viewing spots in the city imo.

Alfama itself is worth a wander as well. Really nice laid back area and has a very genuine Portuguese neighborhood feel to it (I stayed in a hostel here on my trip), and it's right beside the city centre. If you've yet to book accommodation, I found this a really nice area to base yourself. You could hop on the old 28 tram (one of the few remaining old style trams in the city) which goes through Alfama and the last stop is in this big sunny pedestrianised square where you can grab a bite to eat and a drink, or even just get a beer in a nearby Spar and sit on a bench and people watch (drinking in public is legal in Portugal!).

Belem which is also nearby, maybe 10/15mins on a tram from city centre, is worth a look. Massive church there as well as the heroes monument (also has a viewing deck at the top) and a fort that was used for protecting the city that you can explore and again get nice views from as well as an army museum (I didn't go to this one so can't rate it).

I'll echo Daisy78's view on Sintra, only 40mins by train from the centre and about a fiver return. I did the bus tour when I got there but I didn't get off and do any of the pay in attractions because I was hungover (:pac:) but I regret not doing the castle. It also takes you to the Western most point of Portugal where you have cliffs and a view of the Atlantic ocean, good photo op spot. Really nice place as well, even more laid back then Lisbon and worth spending a good day there.

I didn't go as I didn't have time but Cascais is meant to be really nice as well, great for beaches and surfing apparently and again, not far by train from city centre.

As for nightlife, the only area you need to go really is Barrio Alto. It's pretty much within the city and it's an area full of small bars and clubs, which all have a different type of atmosphere depending what you're looking for. One had a DJ and a dance floor, another had a guy singing and playing popular songs on acoustic guitar, another more laid back atmosphere and loads more. You're looking at around €2 a pint in these bars (one had half pints for 50c!!). Very popular area. And as drinking is legal on the streets there's a great atmosphere all around outside. We did pub crawls organised by the hostel and they gave us beers to drink on our way to the bars :P

If you're looking for something more sedate and traditional, I'd check out some of the Fado music bars. They're everywhere but you're better to find out the smaller, less touristy ones if you want the best atmosphere.

In terms of huge sprawling clubs similar to likes of Coppers etc, the only one I know of is Lux although the one night we tried to get in it was VIP only and they were asking for an absurd amount of money just for entry (>€200 each!) and the bouncers just seemed like d!cks so personally I would stick to Barrio Alto area as it was more my type of scene anyway.

Plenty of info to go on there guys, thanks a mil! Really looking forward to going. I've heard nothing but good things about Lisbon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Some great advise here in the thread that I can only echo rather then add to apart to say I did visit Cascais and it is well worth the short train ride, very picturesque and the walk up to the coast road and back is a really great way to spend an afternoon followed by some food and drinks in the town. Overall I felt the Lisbon people were relaxed and friendly, the food was good and I'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 funny_fecker

was there with my other half in may

absolutely loved it , in terms of lisbon itself , just hop on a tour bus , its not a huge city but its much nicer than dublin and has much better transport , you could even just use the metro and trams to get around

in terms of places to eat , check out pinochio , its a very quirky outdoor restaraunt

you must also get out of lisbon and visit sintra , history and cultural capital of portugal , moorish castle and pena pallace are a must , their part of the same tour

bring sun screen with you , its twice the price over there

caiscais is nice but its really just a visit to the seaside , very comercial , its where the wealth portugese live and holiday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I travel a lot to lisbon and love it.

Bring a pair of walking shoes. its built on 7 hills.

There is a train (a bit like the dart) out to Cascais which is a nice spot on the coast.

St Georges Castle is worth a visit as is going out to Sintra where there is a choice of the Royal Palace and the older Moorish Castle. There are trains out to the town and a bus service up to the castles.

Try eat where the locals go. The Bairro Alto which is the old part down near the port is good for food.
    Also the shopping centres normally have a floor with different restaurants which are reasonably priced.

You can go out to Belem where there is a monastery, tower and the famous Pasteis de Belem in the local cafe.
    Lisbon also has a great aquarium in the Parc de Nacoes (park of the nations) its where the expo was held.
    It has a great train/metro service and you can get a Lisboa Card to reduce costs of travel and admission to places.
    Take a train over the 25th April Bridge to Costa de Caparica which has great beaches and a surfers paradise
    Also worth a visit is Setubal which is renowned for fish restaurants and you can get a ferry over to Troio which is an upmarket resort with fantastic beaches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Hop on a ferry and visit the Cristo Rei statue. If you have a head for heights you can go to the top for a few euro and the view is amazing but even from the ground you're up so high you can see over Lisbon and the bay area.

Thanks for all the tips guys. Heading off on Wednesday morning and I'm getting really excited now, can't wait. I'll definitely fit a few of those activities in. Sintra is most certainly on the cards.

I've also heard of a food and wine tour which I think is about €35 a head and you get a guide, there's a maximum of 4 people and the guide brings you around to sample different Tapas and wine which is included in the price. Has anyone else done this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Does anyone know of a car rental in Lisbon that accepts visa debit?

• Advertisement

Reindeer wrote: »

Don't know of any. Best thing is to email some of them.

Reindeer wrote: »

I know it's not an answer to your question, but we stayed in Lisbon about 6 or 7 times, and we never hired a car. The public transport system is cheap and efficient, and traffic can be difficult and the standard of driving can be pretty poor. So unless you really have to have a car to get somewhere the buses, trams, trains and metro don't go........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Hi all,

Heading there soon enough for 4 nights midweek, any must do's?

We are staying in Lisbon city center, on Sao Sebastiao da Pedreira Street, near Antonio Augusto de Aguiar Avenue. 2 minutes walking distance from Sao Sebastiao station.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Thanks for all the tips guys. Heading off on Wednesday morning and I'm getting really excited now, can't wait. I'll definitely fit a few of those activities in. Sintra is most certainly on the cards.

I've also heard of a food and wine tour which I think is about €35 a head and you get a guide, there's a maximum of 4 people and the guide brings you around to sample different Tapas and wine which is included in the price. Has anyone else done this?

Oooooh im there in two weeks and id be interested in a food and wine tour! Did you go? :)

Check out this thread where myself and others have posted suggestions: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057254927

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭FunkyDa2

livEwirE wrote: »
    Hi all,

Heading there soon enough for 4 nights midweek, any must do's?

We are staying in Lisbon city center, on Sao Sebastiao da Pedreira Street, near Antonio Augusto de Aguiar Avenue. 2 minutes walking distance from Sao Sebastiao station.

Thanks!

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g189158-d1570913-Reviews-Ginjinha_Sem_Rival-Lisbon_Estremadura.html

I found this place, while wandering around the city one evening :)

Heading there in two weeks, Any restaurant recommendation that isn't too expensive? Thanks! :)

Just an update from my holiday in Lisbon;

Amazing city, really easy to get around thanks to great Metro and rail links which are easy to figure out.

The highlight without a doubt was Sintra, in particular the below castle
    http://www.sintraportugal.net/attractions/quinta-regaleira-sintra

Our main regret was not getting to spend more time in Quinta Da Regaleira in Sintra. The grounds are incredible, can't believe this place is so little known. There's so much to explore and the scale, beauty and unusualness of this place is breathtaking.

The other castle we got to see in Sintra was Pena National Palace. Again the scale of this is breathtaking and hugely impressive but unfortunately we didn't have enough time to explore the grounds which we regret.

If going again I would probably allocate 2 days to Sintra and stay overnight.

The food and wine tour was very good and well worth doing. the tour guide was great and you get a good feel for the city and there are a couple of hidden gems which we probably wouldn't have found.

The one we did was this one; http://www.insidelisbon.com/en/node/1961/?nid=168&lng=en and I would recommend to stick with Inside Lisbon for this type of tour as they seem to be the longest running and the best.

Eating out and finding a good restaurant we found difficult and we regret not researching on trip advisor as we had mostly average meals with some poor service so my advice would be to do some research and plan your meals.

If anyone has any specific questions let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Challo

I just saw this thread now and was hoping you'd made it to Sintra! It's so beautiful there and I don't understand why it's not more well-known.

Challo wrote: »
    I just saw this thread now and was hoping you'd made it to Sintra! It's so beautiful there and I don't understand why it's not more well-known.

Absolutely, one of the most incredible places I've visited so far, my girlfriend agreed and she's travelled far more than me. It's amazing it's not more well known.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Any recommendations on hotels - traveling there for 2 nights in October and need to book something. Will do the usual research on TripAdvisor but it's always nice to have a recommendation here :)

Cork_girl wrote: »
    Any recommendations on hotels - traveling there for 2 nights in October and need to book something. Will do the usual research on TripAdvisor but it's always nice to have a recommendation here :)

I stayed in the Holiday Inn in Alameida so can only comment on that hotel. It was perfect for what we needed. We didn't spend much time in it anyway so the fact that it was cheap, comfortable and easy to travel from made it ideal.

It's easy to get to from the airport (about 15-20mins on the metro if I remember correctly) and the metro was about a 5-10 minute walk. from that metro station you were in the heart of the city centre in about 7 mins. We never waited more than 5-10 minutes for a train.

There was also a nice cafe a 2 minute walk down the road from the hotel which we got breakfast/brunch in everyday called Strudel which came in very handy. Cheap and decent food (the strudels in particular were nice!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

We stayed in the HF Fenix Lisboa. It at Praca Marques De Pombal. Nice quiet area, very central. Not a whole heap to do in the immediate vicinity but the metro is literally outside the front door of the hotel and you are only a couple of stops away from everything.

Just an update from my holiday in Lisbon;

Amazing city, really easy to get around thanks to great Metro and rail links which are easy to figure out.

The highlight without a doubt was Sintra, in particular the below castle
    http://www.sintraportugal.net/attractions/quinta-regaleira-sintra

Our main regret was not getting to spend more time in Quinta Da Regaleira in Sintra. The grounds are incredible, can't believe this place is so little known. There's so much to explore and the scale, beauty and unusualness of this place is breathtaking.

The other castle we got to see in Sintra was Pena National Palace. Again the scale of this is breathtaking and hugely impressive but unfortunately we didn't have enough time to explore the grounds which we regret.

If going again I would probably allocate 2 days to Sintra and stay overnight.

The food and wine tour was very good and well worth doing. the tour guide was great and you get a good feel for the city and there are a couple of hidden gems which we probably wouldn't have found.

The one we did was this one; http://www.insidelisbon.com/en/node/1961/?nid=168&lng=en and I would recommend to stick with Inside Lisbon for this type of tour as they seem to be the longest running and the best.

Eating out and finding a good restaurant we found difficult and we regret not researching on trip advisor as we had mostly average meals with some poor service so my advice would be to do some research and plan your meals.

If anyone has any specific questions let me know.

Hi any advice on getting around Sintra? I'm going there this weekend and just trying to work out the best way to see the sights in one day.. iv heard bus or renting a bike are good ways? Thanks! :)

Gal44 wrote: »
    Hi any advice on getting around Sintra? I'm going there this weekend and just trying to work out the best way to see the sights in one day.. iv heard bus or renting a bike are good ways? Thanks! :)
    There's a bus from the tourist office up to the castles. It's quiet a steep and narrow climb. I wouldn't recommend cycling it.
    Get a return ticket to bring you down again.

As soon as you leave the Train station in Sintra just head towards the tourist office, you can walk past that to the Quinta Da Regualeira, no point in getting a bus as you will miss some of the views and some nice artwork along the path.

For the other castles you will definitely need to get the bus. You pay a small fee and it's just a hop on hop off ticket. Like the poster above I wouldn't recommend cycling as the roads are very steep and the bus going around the corners use both sides of the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

This has been very handy, heading to Lisbon on Tuesday for a week, can't wait. Bring it ooooonnnnnnnnnnn!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

Just back from 6 days in Lisbon, overall it was very nice, here are some tips from our experience.

Transport
    we flew to Lisbon with Ryanair for €50 each way. The airport is in the north of
    the city and has metro and bus links direct to the city centre.

Make sure you get the Lisbon Card, this is €39 for a three day pass that gives
    you all metro, public bus, train and tram services in the city. It will save you
    loads of time, hassle and money. It also comes with a booklet full of the many attractions,
    museums, and tours you can do in the city many offering a discount when you show
    your Lisbon Card. There are also a few tear out pages of vouchers for city tours operated
    by private companies.

You can get this at the tourist kiosk in the Airport or in the tourist information shops in the city.

The City
    Lisbon is full of very old architecture and buildings that are very interesting to look at
    on a bus tour, and there are lots of museums and attractions, but overall Lisbon is a poor city.
    Large sections of the city are derelict and falling to bits. It says something about the Portuguese
    economy when there are loads of old men shining shoes in the streets outside banks. I got the
    sense of the middle ground has been cut out of Lisbon - there are the tourists and some wealthy locals,
    but most of the people are poor and just scratching a living.

There are virtually no convenience stores or handy little supermarkets anywhere.
    We found that it was impossible to "pop to the shops for a few things" really anywhere in
    the city.

We only found two shopping centers - "El Cotre Ingles" and "Campo Pequeno". Stock up in
    the supermarkets in one of these places and pack your bag with supplies before you head out
    each day.

Essentials like water, fruit and snacks are much cheaper than in Ireland, but as I said, there
    just aren't any shops in large areas of the city. For example we only found one small coffee
    shop in the whole area around the National Parliament. You can wander through entire districts
    and not see a single open shop.

There are some more successful areas like Baxia-Chiao but these are surrounded by empty shops
    and decrepit old buildings. The nice areas of the city feel like islands of economic success in a
    sea of failed businesses, it's quite sad actually. A good proportion of the shops look like they
    were 30 years ago and still selling the same stock they did then.

The centre of the city is the area around the Rua Augusta Arch. There are lots of shops and
    restaurants and tours all pass through this area. This is a nice area that goes up into the
    Baxia-Chaio area this is - the main tourist area of the city.

The People
    Most of the people you will have contact with are the usual "service robots" you find in
    any tourist dependent city. They seemed friendly enough and most people under 50 speak
    some English.

The Irish charm really does work wonders and if you try speak a few words of broken Portuguese
    you'll be appreciated even more. Manners and patience are also very handy.

Safety
    The usual rules about watching your belongings on public transport apply of course.

I felt safe in Lisbon overall, but there are a lot of beggars in the tourist areas. After dark all
    these street performers come out. There must be some law in Portugal that if you make some
    crap jewellery or do juggling you can bug people for money.

Scumbags offering drugs and the usual annoying street sellers are abundant day and night also.

The police are all armed, but seem more interested in standing around smoking, chatting and watching
    the world go by. To be honest, a lot of them looked like garage mechanics with handguns.

On reflection, I would say that I felt about as safe in Lisbon at night as you do in Dublin city centre after
    dark - you should be alright, but don't hang around the streets if you can avoid it.

Hotel
    We stayed in the Hotel Alif in Campo Pequeno. It was a nice basic hotel with clean
    rooms - no complaints about hotel at all really. It was total luck that we picked
    this one, it turns out that Campo Pequeno is a big concert arena set in an old
    bullfighting ring. It has a big shopping center underground with loads of shops and a
    full supermarket. It also has a great cinema that showed English speaking films.
    In Portugal, most Hollywood films are shown in English with Portuguese subtitles apparently.

And to top if off, the metro station connects via an underground walking tunnel to the
    shopping complex. If I ever go back to Lisbon, I'll definitely stay in this area again.

Tours / Attractions
    We did three tours - two bus tours - the red line and blue lines, and a the green line tram tour.
    The bus tours we did were with the company "City Sightseeing". I have been on their
    tour buses in other cities without complaint, but this time was disappointed - the commentary
    was crap - very little info only a couple of sentences about the major attractions and a lot of depressing
    Fado music played between the stops. This is a famous kind of traditional music
    from Lisbon, it's nice in small doses or sung by someone who has talent, but on the bus it really got annoying
    after a while. Half the earphone stations on the buses didn't work either.

http://www.city-sightseeing.com/tours/portugal/lisbon.htm

I'd try the "Yellow Line" company to see if their commentary is any different.
    Mind you they operated the green tram line and it was the same stuff on the commentary.

http://www.yellowbustours.com/en/cities/lisbon/

We did a few of the main sites, getting a discount with the Lisbon Card to most of them.

Gulbenkian Museum - A great compact museum with a bit of everything Greek, Roman,
    Far-East and Renaissance stuff. The Lalique glass and jewellery collection is stunning.

Jeronium Monsatrary - free in - you can go around the Church and see the tomb of Vasco
    de Gama - remember his name from school history books? :)

Museum of Design and Fashion - Free in - Nice collection of furniture produced under the
    Salazar regime. This was the only place in Lisbon that even acknowledged this time period in
    Portugal's history - it is really telling that the city does not want to talk about the "bad old days"
    where tourists are concerned. Not like in Berlin, where they acknowledge their troubled past with
    dignity and are able to move forward.

Military Museum - A nice little museum, showing the colonial might of Portugal when the ruled
    half the world at the end of a siege cannon.

St Georges Castle - Nice with great views of the city.

Santa Justa Lift - free with the Lisbon Card - great views of the city.

Berardo Collection Museum - Great modern art museum down in Belem.
    Loads of great pieces from all the major schools of 20th century art.
    Everything from Mondrian to Andy Warhol and more modern pieces from
    contemporary artists. Free entry as well.

Lots of attractions have a discount for over 65s, which was a nice surprise.

Sintra
    We took a day trip to Sintra. This is a lovely village outside the city towards the coast
    that the Portuguese Royal Family used as a holiday home. There are palaces and stately
    homes all around this lovely area. We went to the Pena palace. It was €14 in and as
    soon as you get in the gate you have to pay another €3 for the transfer bus. This takes you
    to the palace up the top of a massive hill that's probably give Usain Bolt a heart attack if he
    tried to walk it, so you're kind of compelled to get the transfer bus.

The palace itself is fabulous you get to walk through all the rooms with all the royal family's
    furniture and possessions laid out as if they were still present. If you like Downtown Abbey or
    the finer things in life, you'll love this tour.

It is worth going to Sintra but you will feel ripped-off afterwards.

Once consolation about Sintra was the Anjos Teixeira Museum. This is a small house
    filled with great sculpture created by a father and son duo. It's free in and really worth a look.
    If you walk from the train station there are loads of lovely public art sculptures, the museum is in
    the grotto below this pathway.

If you can, get one of them fold-up hiking walking poles. Aldi and Lidl sell them every once in a while.
    You could break your neck on the wet paths and hilly walkways in Sintra, especially on the way down to to the
    Anjos Teixeira Museum. They seem to be allergic to putting hand-rails on the walkways in palaces and monuments
    in Portugal for some reason.

Food
    Lisbon is full of tourist cafes selling the usual "pictures on the menu" stuff. These are ok
    for coffee and a bun but we didn't have a dinner in any of these places, thankfully.
    I didn't drink the tap water at all, I wasn't taking any chances. Here's where we did eat.

Hennessy's Irish Bar - lovely pub grub, but in a area that looked very dodgy after dark,
    around Cais do Sodre metro station.

5 Oceanos -Down in Belem - This is a posh steak and seafood restaurant with lobsters
    in the tank looking nervously at you. Fantastic steak and great service. However, there is a
    massive rail and road bridge overhead, and the restaurant is in the flight path for final approach
    to Lisbon airport - the noise is deafening. They had a kind of greenhouse thing outside that
    most diners were sitting in. It's worth it for the steak but what a racket!

La Brasserie de l’Entrecôte - Meal of the trip. A classy upmarket steakhouse in Campo
    Pequeno. Lovely starter of cheese, breads and fruit. Great steak and loads of it too.
    Desert a little basic but very edible. Lovely real coffee afterwards also. €74 for two.
    Great service from attentive and sexy waiting staff!

Food court the the Campo Pequeno - In the basement of the Campo Pequeno there is a
    shopping centre that has a big food court. There are loads of different little restaurants.
    There was one called "Slow" we got a proper dinner of meat, spuds, veg and a
    lemonade for €7 each.

Summary
    From a tourist perspective I did like the trip to Lisbon. You can really see how powerful Portugal
    was during the age of discovery and how it has fared less successfully in more recent times.

I wouldn't feel the need to go back to Lisbon to do the things that I didn't see this trip,
    but if I did, I would stay around the Campo Pequeno area again for sure.

Interesting report barneysplash but as a regular visit to Lisbon over the last 10 years its not the city I know.

There are plenty of coffee shops, restaurants, and shopping centres when you know were to look. it also has Colombo which is one of the biggest shopping malls in Europe.

Granted, some areas are run down and there are high levels of unemployment. The economic collapse hit Portugal hard. The average wage when I was last there was about €350 per month.

Perhaps having friends in the city makes me more aware of where to go and eat. I never found a shortage of restaurants and coffee shops whether is Lisboa itself or in the suburbs.

Portugal has a lot of immigrants from the former colonies. Mozambique, Angola, Cape Verde and Brazil. In the case of the Mozambicans. Many of these arrived in Portugal having been kicked out when the country gained independence.
    They arrived in winter and lived in tents in refugee camps for many years. Those I know did well and have good jobs as doctors, teachers, telecoms specialists. Granted, some didn't do so well.

I sympathize with the Fadó music. Its meant to me melancholic telling of the sad times in the countries history. The best experience of it is going to one of the shows which include a meal. I also helps to understand the language or have a translator:cool:

• Advertisement

As a tourist, I can only describe what I saw, it would be best to have a local friend to help find good places.

I wrote the post as it was the kind of details I would have liked to have seen before I went on my trip.

Please do post any bits that might help someone get more from this lovely city.

I have to say, you've got Sintra completely wrong. It sounds like you didn't go to the best places there which were recommended in this thread. I couldn't disagree more with your quote.

It was one of the most amazing places I've ever seen.

I can only saw what I saw and experienced.

Fair play to you if you can get more out of the city than I did.

If you liked something that I didn't or experienced it differently, then that's ok too.

I did enjoy my time there overall and would recommend it for a city break.

Instead of getting into a slagging match, why not post up details of
    good spots and things to do in Lisbon that you know about.

I can only saw what I saw and experienced.

Fair play to you if you can get more out of the city than I did.

If you liked something that I didn't or experienced it differently, then that's ok too.

I did enjoy my time there overall and would recommend it for a city break.

Instead of getting into a slagging match, why not post up details of
    good spots and things to do in Lisbon that you know about.

A slagging match? I just said I disagreed with you. I felt it was important to state this also in case people may be dissuaded from travelling there and missing out on what I (and others here) felt was a great experience and holiday. No need to get so easily offended.

I have already posted up my experiences of Lisbon, you obviously didn't read the rest of thread.

While I appreciate the time and effort barneysplash went to in writing up such a comprehensive report, I'd also disagree on some points.

I didn't find there to be a lack of convenience shops at all. There was one right by my hostel in Alfama and I spotted at least a few while walking around the city including a Spar.

I'd definitely recommend against getting the Lisbon card as €39 is very expensive for 3 days unlimited transport. The viagem card (which is the equivalent of our Leap card) is only 50c and a single journey costs only €1.40 on the metro or trams. A day pass is only about €6.50 and that works on both trams and metro. If you're staying anywhere even slightly central, you probably won't be using an awful lot of public transport as Lisbon is a very walkable city. For example I used maybe 2 or 3 single trips and got a day pass on the day I went to Belem so transport cost me maybe €10 for 4 days plus my return to the airport on the 5th day. The train to Sintra or Cascais was around €5 return also (and I'm not sure these trains are covered by the Lisbon card anyhow). As for the discounted entry to places, they aren't great. I think the most expensive tourist attraction I visited in Lisbon was St. Georges castle at around €8 entry and the card only offers a 30% discount which isn't a whole lot on €8. If all the main tourist attractions were included, you could definitely make a case for it but otherwise I'd avoid.

While there are a lot of North Africans immigrants selling cheap, tacky crap in the main tourist areas, this is unfortunately something that I've seen in most Western major cities on the continent. Barcelona and Paris were even worse for example.

I'd reiterate that I'd definitely recommend Lisbon as a place to go, a big part due to the laid back nature of the city and the cheapness as well as the good weather and safety of the place. I'll certainly be returning myself at some point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

There is some fantastic information on this thread - all much appreciated, as I am trying to plan our honeymoon to Portugal for next July. I was thinking of a few days in Lisbon as we like city breaks, sightseeing etc and then maybe a few days somewhere else outside the city, just for variety. Am I wrong in thinking a few days might be sufficient in Lisbon? The break will probably be for 7-10 days in total so I just want to ensure we have plenty to see and do.

Has anyone any experience of a two centre holiday in Portugal, to include Lisbon? It was suggested to me that somewhere on the Algarve might be suitable as a second destination, but I'm not sure where would be good. Any ideas or suggestions welcome! Thanks :)

• Advertisement

There is some fantastic information on this thread - all much appreciated, as I am trying to plan our honeymoon to Portugal for next July. I was thinking of a few days in Lisbon as we like city breaks, sightseeing etc and then maybe a few days somewhere else outside the city, just for variety. Am I wrong in thinking a few days might be sufficient in Lisbon? The break will probably be for 7-10 days in total so I just want to ensure we have plenty to see and do.

Has anyone any experience of a two centre holiday in Portugal, to include Lisbon? It was suggested to me that somewhere on the Algarve might be suitable as a second destination, but I'm not sure where would be good. Any ideas or suggestions welcome! Thanks :)

A few days is enough in Lisbon alright, I went for 4 days and saw most of what there was to see and also fit in a day trip to Sintra which is highly recommend as it's so close and cheap to get to by train. Cascais is also meant to be lovely but I couldn't manage to fit it in in my time there so I could have done 5 days to be honest but regardless if you pick 3/4/5 days, you'll be able to get loads in. That said, I would definitely return as I really like the city.

I was down in the Algarve a couple of years ago, specifically Albufeira. I went in December so it was pretty dead and there wasn't an awful lot to do as most of the tours were off and a lot of places closed but it was pleasant enough all the same and the weather was nice. In July it would be a much different atmosphere I imagine with the place in full tourist swing and loads of things to do. On the plus side, there will be plenty to do but also a huge amount of tourist crowds I would imagine so keep that in mind too. Better to ask someone who's been in Summer how it is.

You could do a few days in each destination and grab a train or a coach between them as there as plenty of services available and fly in to one and fly out of the other.

I've been to Lisbon several times, it's a city I love as it's so easy to get around.
    If you want to split your stay between Lisbon and a coastal resort you have the choice of staying on the Lisbon coast near Cascais/Estoril or going south to the Algarve.
    As July is high season it will be very hot and busy. You don't say whether you prefer busy places or more relaxed. Cascais is lovely and only a half hour train journey from Lisbon but quieter than the Algarve. If you're looking for a nice hotel check out the Miragem. It'a a bit pricey but beautiful and perfect for honeymoon. You can hop on a bus to Sintra from Cascais for a lovely day out. Lovely beaches and walks all around Estoril/Cascais.

If on the other hand you want to go south, Lagos on the Algarve is my favourite place. There are a number of lovely hotels there but the Marina club would be the one I'd recommend for location. The marina is also a good place to take an apartment if that's your preference. The old town has loads of shops and restaurants to offer and the town is a lot nicer than Albufeira or Praia da Rocha in my opinion.
    If you prefer somewhere quieter then maybe Vilamoura. It's a purpose built resort centered around a marina. There are numerous golf courses if that's your thing. Quartiera, an old fishing port is a 15 minute walk away along the beach. You can get a bus from Vilamoura to Faro if you want a day out. The Tivoli Marina is in the best location between the beach and marina and is a nice hotel. The Blue and Green Lake resort is also lovely for honeymoon. If you're looking for an apartment try the Moura Praia complex, lovely apartments very close to marina and beach.
    You can easily get a train from Lisbon to the Algarve and they are quite reasonable. I think it was about €20 1st class but it's a while since I did it so check it out. You do have to change trains in Tunes, if I remember rightly, but that's very straighforward. You can then get the train all the way to Lagos or if you're heading to Vilamoura you get off at Faro and take a taxi for the 20 min ride to Vilamoura.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

Thank you both so much for your replies! Good to know that there will be plenty to do in and around Lisbon itself. I might re-think going somewhere else if we end up just going for the week, as it sounds like we could reach a lot of the coastal resorts by taking day trips and then of course it would be nice to spend a couple of days relaxing as well. If we stay longer I think we'd probably be better off forgetting the Algarve and maybe staying out in Cascais or Estoril like you suggest, Wyldwood, as we'd probably prefer somewhere a little more relaxing. Thanks again for the advice.

If you're looking for a nice hotel in Lisbon check out the Eurostar Das Letras. It's a lovely modern hotel off the Avenue da Liberdade. It is up a steepish hill but worth the climb. Most of Lisbon is quite hilly so be prepared to do a bit of trekking!

Make sure to pay a visit to Belem while you're in Lisbon.

I think you might have guessed by now that I love Portugal:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

I have two full days in Lisbon coming up. What's the best of the best I need to do? Food, drink, sites etc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭gene_slackman

i really liked lisbon , sintra and cais cais but i agree with the poster who pointed to the chronic lack of convenience stores , walked for a mile on lisbons version of o,connell st and could not find anywhere open to buy a pint of milk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

I just don't get the lack of shops thing. They're everywhere. But, you know, just stock up in a Pingo Dos or market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

sarkozy wrote: »
    I just don't get the lack of shops thing. They're everywhere. But, you know, just stock up in a Pingo Dos or market.

Plenty of mini-markets around too like these guys:
    http://www.minipreco.pt/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We were in Lisbon back in June - would have to recommend visiting the Mercado da Ribeira - it's the old food market of the city, but it's currently being renovated and they've opened a fantastic food hall full of restaurant stalls and so on. It's a great spot to go for dinner in the evening before heading to some bars.

We also did a walking Food & Drink tour while we were there. It cost €60 per head, but lasted about 4 hours with plenty of food & drink. More details here.

Our hotel was the Hotel Fontecruz Lisboa - really liked it and thought it was in a pretty good location.

We spent a few days in Lisbon and then we picked up a hire car and drove south to Setubal and Troia. We spent another few days in Troia at the Troia Design Hotel, which was top notch and very relaxing. Lovely area to drive around and visit wineries, eat seafood and generally take it easy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭gene_slackman

sarkozy wrote: »

they most certainly are not everywhere , i accept that the convenience store is more of an anglo american cultural thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Lisbon is just stunning......such a romantic city with beautiful sunsets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

Heading to Lisbon with my girlfriend in summer but trying to decide between going in mid June or else last week Aug early September. Would we still get warm weather in September? Reading online and seems to be lot of festivals and carnivals on in June

mjp wrote: »
    Heading to Lisbon with my girlfriend in summer but trying to decide between going in mid June or else last week Aug early September. Would we still get warm weather in September? Reading online and seems to be lot of festivals and carnivals on in June

You'll miss the worst of the heat but it will still be warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

Thanks to everyone who's posted in this thread already! I'm going at the end of the month with the girlfriend and can't wait! We have a bike tour booked for the first morning, but nothing else organised. I really want to do a good tour, but sintra looks absolutely spectacular so might do that the second. Then we might manage to do a good tour before we go on day 3. Wish we booked an extra day now!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Just be careful if out late at night in Lisbon and make sure to get a taxi back to where you are staying. There are a lot of dodgy characters around who'll try to mug lost-looking tourists, as I discovered on my last trip there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement